Let fat people die to save the USA billions?

Discussion in 'Pandora's Box' started by weednotcrack, Aug 6, 2012.

1. I do know several skinny people with diabetes. I can't speak to what their diets are like though. I do remember one of them in particular chugging down 48oz (I think, whatever the really big ones are) sodas from 7-11. I believe he pointed out that it was "diet" soda on a number of occasions. :p

Anyway, like I said in my first post in this thread, how do we differentiate between the obese people who just don't give a shit and don't care about their health, and the people who are genuinely trying to lose weight?

I mean, do we start monitoring peoples diets? Only treating them if they've been eating properly and/or are not fat? :confused:

I understand the point OP is trying to make, I just don't agree that we should seriously stop treating obese people. :confused_2:

2. If they don't seriously have a medical condition that is limiting their fat loss then there should be no excuse. It isn't about monitoring, it's about self empowerment. We have to empower people to want to change their lives. We can't force anything upon anyone or they will just squeal until their hearts content. If it worked the way it should we could lock up obese people for one week feeding them nothing but the minimum and release them with a new sense of appetite/hunger. People eat because they can, not because they need to. It's all a form of will-power and we don't need to watch over what someone is eating. That isn't our role, we should never limit what someone should or shouldn't take into their body. Yet, when they continually abuse themselves with food that isn't high in nutritional value and then realize what they've done it falls on them. Not tax payers to pay for their diabetes medicine because they are addicted to skittles.

3. I get that, but it's not really my point. OP specifically mentions obese people who eat whatever they want because "you only live once" and don't care about their health.
    There really wasn't any mention of obese people who are genuinely trying to lose weight and whether their health problems should go untreated as well.

So, how do we decide who deserves to be treated and who doesn't? How do we weed out the "you only live once! Eat McDonald's every day!" crowd from the people who really are trying to lose weight?

I just don't see any real feasible way of doing this.

I never was a big fan of trying to use things like this to change peoples behavior anyway. I think there are better things we could try. More education, especially when it comes to parenting. I know way too many fat kids... and it's sad knowing that they're going to have such a hard time ever not being fat because of the habits they're learning as children. :poke:

4. stop serving them burgers

5. stop smoking

6. Stop telling people to wax your car.

7. I don't own a car!
    Ha!

8. For real dude, her lungs are FUCKED!

9. Well then explain all that wax I saw you buying.

I bet getting fucked in the lungs hurts.

10. Or you could just stop spending over half a trillion dollars annually on military?

11. I bet half the skinny people in this thread don't even monitor their blood pressure.

"Oh Im skinny, that means Im healthy..."

LOL

12. :laughing:

Really dude? :rolleyes:

13. lol wow man thats fucked up. we shouldnt let anybody die based on size thats just fucked up what if they had an eating disorder or something and it wasnt there fault that they were so big. some people just cant help themselves they were born that way... lucky im skinny wouldnt want anyone to consider letting everyone my size die just to save the Us billions.

14. No Fat Chicks

15. I used to be pretty chunky, until I started working out consistently and making better choices about what I put in my body.

But when you're talking obesity, it always comes down to diet, which can *most times* be attributed to income. Poor people simply can't afford healthy food or fresh produce, so they buy cheap food(aka fast "food") because you can get a lot more food from the dollar menu than you can for the same price at the store.

Now if there was a way to increase produce supply, then prices would drop and a few more people would be able to eat healthier.

Of course you can always grow your own food, but it seems like a lost art to my generation, unfortunately. Suppose they'd rather have shitty pseudo-food shoved down their throats than a healthy body, kinda sad to see

16. I am morbidly obese and I do admit that a great portion of why is lack of self control. I don't blame fast food or genetics. I'm 18 I can choose to eat healthier and I have been trying. One of my problems is living with my parents who are also overweight. When there is a bag of Doritos or a bunch of bananas, I would prefer the Doritos. Another big portion of it is simply that I am lazy. Exercising is a pain in the ass lol and I have a hard time motivating myself to do anything. Recently I've been dieting and I've lost a few pounds but I really need to get my ass in a gym.

On the subject of healthcare I agree that a lot of fat people get medication or surgery for things that directly stem from their weight. I personally don't believe in taking any pharmaceuticals and haven't had any negative side effects yet. I don't necessarily agree that they should be killed, perhaps there's a bias there, but I do agree that people need to make a better effort. I don't think it should be a government mandate because I don't think government has the right to interfere with what citizens do but maybe start some sort of health program with access to dietitians and trainers or something.

17. The OP didn't say we should kill fat people, just that we shouldn't spend millions keeping them alive when they refused to take preventative measures on their own behalf (behalves)? I think we agree on that, I'm just pointing it out bc of the way you phrased it in your post.

Either way, 18 is too young to give up on yourself (not that you have) and I think it's too young for the government/your health care provider to give up on someone just because they are obese.

People DEFINITELY need to make a better effort!! I don't see too many fat people when I go to the gym, but I see plenty when I go to a restaurant.

I agree with the poster that initially pointed out that taking away healthcare for the morbidly obese would be the exact same as taking it away for smokers.

We have a personal responsibility to not be a burden on those around us. Hitting the gym is a great start to a more healthy life and more important than diet IMO. Everyone needs vitamins and vegetables but as long as you're active, you can eat a little crap too.

18. [quote name='"Ironic"']

The OP didn't say we should kill fat people, just that we shouldn't spend millions keeping them alive when they refused to take preventative measures on their own behalf (behalves)? I think we agree on that, I'm just pointing it out bc of the way you phrased it in your post.

Either way, 18 is too young to give up on yourself (not that you have) and I think it's too young for the government/your health care provider to give up on someone just because they are obese.

People DEFINITELY need to make a better effort!! I don't see too many fat people when I go to the gym, but I see plenty when I go to a restaurant.

I agree with the poster that initially pointed out that taking away healthcare for the morbidly obese would be the exact same as taking it away for smokers.

We have a personal responsibility to not be a burden on those around us. Hitting the gym is a great start to a more healthy life and more important than diet IMO. Everyone needs vitamins and vegetables but as long as you're active, you can eat a little crap too.[/quote]

Yeah that was poor phrasing, my bad. And I agree that smoking is a very similar case. I agree to a certain extent that medical spending on obese people should be cut too though. If someone is 60 years old and 300+ pounds with a bunch of health problems and does nothing to lose weight, they really kind of gave up on themselves so why continue to enable their habits? I have mixed feelings on the idea and I'm sure nothing will come of this but I'm not totally opposed to the idea.

Also, if somebody has lung cancer or has the thing to breath through your throat (don't remember the name of it sorry) and still smoke a pack a day, they don't really deserve health care either. I don't see the point of getting treatment for something when you continue to partake in the cause of your illness.

19. Don't think it's quite as straight forward as that, removing all fat people may save the healthcare system 344Billion, however you may want to consider weighing up the cost of how much money they spend on food consumption. I don't have the facts and figures handy but put it this way, spending large amounts on health is not necessarily a bad thing from an economic point of view as as it's keeping alive and in some cases keeping people healthy.

but in these economic times one may consider the following options: 1 Raising taxes on unhealthy foods. 2: Instead of letting them die, killing them off would be economically more successful than "saying yolo and letting them die" enforcing mandatory military service or gym hours would be beneficial as this increases their potential to later be more beneficial to society.

20. Really, dude.