Let’s start growing other things!

Discussion in 'Gardening' started by wEEDhEAD1, Jun 2, 2020.

1. Since I started growing i started noticing the green world around us. I notice trees a lot, I like looking at the structure and the way they bounce back even after all the leaves get strip’d away.
    I was looking at this one outside this morning, it looks like light burn and the sun needs to be moved a little further away :biggrin:

F40FDF76-C399-4EA0-AF19-57D34CF213E9.jpeg

anyway this is the first plant I’ve bought that’s not cannabis. The first thing I did was repot it in Good soil and water. But apparently aloe doesn’t like good soil lol. it’s a dessert plant, who knew :Love-Plant:

1C23C652-CEB2-40F0-8409-A565B06A7B1E.jpeg

I don’t have a garden so trying to turn my balcony into a mini one. What annoyed me is that flies like to fly around in circles above me, even now there’s like 5/10 of them.

I read that they don’t like the smell of lavender. How true is this? I’m thinking to hang a couple lavender plants over my balcony in hope that it will act like a barrier and they’ll go elsewhere?

• Like Like x 1
  2. hi @wEEDhEAD1 ..try marigold plants ,the common pot marigold gives of a smell the some fly's do not like mac,

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. Thanks I’ll have a look. It’s those nasty black flies that like to hang around garbage and shit. They just fly around in circles above me and the occasional one gets fat like a bee!

4. I had one of those things like you have in that pot in my Fla home.
    I got as big as my truck man, if it's the same thing.
    I had to cut it down and pull out with 4 wheel drive, the root ball, was big as hell.

5. mine is aloe Vera. I know very little about other plants but when I was googling for info on my aloe Vera plant it seems to get confused with another called algave. Whenever I see a really big one there’s always comments saying that’s algave not aloe. So I’m guessing your was algave.

I don’t think mines gonna grow out too well as I satarted in the wrong soil apparently. I think I’ll find some desert soil lol and maybe try clone to see how it goes. Isn’t aloe juice good for the plants too? Us too actually, it seemd to be in everything At one point!

• Like Like x 1
  6. i think i saw some on here at GC using aloe as a rooting agent ,,,,mac,,

• Like Like x 1
  7. Yeah get some palm/desert soil for that bad boy, I think it’s the orange bag by MG.

and don’t water it much, they hate when I do that. Lol

• Like Like x 1
  8. that’s all i did lol. Put into the same soil as cannabis and I watered it once, it went brownish from that!..

• Funny Funny x 2
  9. Yup , the water is like acid to them LOL.

my aloe thrives when I forget about it, once I start caring for her, she starts spitting that water in my face !

• Like Like x 2
  10. My god! I open YouTube and the first ad that comes up, “if your new to house plants”. Really lol

• Like Like x 2
  11. yeah welcome to big brother and tracking cookies and google is a fucking spy

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. i used to have a big Aloe plant watered it about once maybe twice a year sparingly,, the more i neglected it the better the flowers ,it used to send up a tall spike which have yellow and brown trumpet like flowers ,,really nice plant and flowers ...mrs over watered it and of cause it died but managed to get a small plant growing from the underneath and hopefully it'l be as good as the mother plant that died ,,,mac,,

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. Im gonna leave the aloe to do it’s thang.. I thought I’d add some herbs so started with basil plant. They sell them in the supermarket. So I brought it home and put it outside next to the aloe. Next day I’m looking at it and there’s a fucking thrip on it!! so yeah no more extra plants lol!
    I keep checking the aloe but never see any, do thrips leave the aloe alone maybe?

14. I am growing a flame lilly! Right now it is just a bulb in a pot, but when it pops up I will post a pic.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Yeah, 99% of the pests don't even care about cacti and desert plants at all. Don't ever worry about them. :)

Welcome to the world of gardening, man! :D Here's my tested recipe for a desert-like soil. I've used this to grow all of my desert plants, and they still love it as far as my sister says

3 parts potting soil - use the All-Purpose-Soil you find wherever you go, and don't spend too much on it. Those plants survive on the Sahara desert, they don't need any special NPK or pH, trust my words, lol
    2 parts sand - do you live near the ocean/sea? Are you allowed to grab some lb/kg of sand? If yes, you know where to go. Else, I'd say "Akadama" is an excellent choice. Probably it will be expensive since it is something that bonsai growers use a lot. Anyway, whatever clayey stone you can find is good, as long as it doesn't retain too much water
    1 part perlite - dude, this is simply perfection in every soil, and succulents LOVE airy soils!
    1 part stones - yes. Stones. Tiny little random stones!

The cannabis soil usually is too full of nutrients for the succulents, and it's not airy enough, so the plant right now is dying. If you can transplant it, do it asap! Don't worry if the plant takes a month to show some growth, succulents can handle huge stress without problems, but their root system is not the strongest during transplants. Just be careful, and give her time. Water them once, then full sun for 14 days, water them with tap water (usually I give 200ml of whater every 14 days for a 3 liter pot, but it all depends on how much sun and wind they get...still, remember they love the desert, so be careful: you're overwatering them every time you give them water, just let the pot be dry for 7 days in a row MINIMUM before adding any water).

For basil, parsley, and every mediterrean plant...take the organic recipe you find on the organic section, add a little bit more of perlite, and you're set.

About lavender, yes, pests don't like it, but don't rely too much on it alone (and for it, it grows ONLY in strong clayey soil and big pots, else it doesn't thrive and produce enough oil to keep pests away). I'd say a little bit of lemongrass too will help, but mostly you need to attract some ladybugs, so grow some flower near the plants and you'll be safe. Roses are good (cannabis soil = rose soil, 100%, maybe add a little bit of guano instead of adding mycorrhizae, like the guano pellets), but there are some scented geranium (Pelargonium odoratissimus, not everyone sells it, quite rare where I live, but be sure the species is the right one, because other species attract pests!) and even violets (cannabis soil = any flower soil, lol) are a good option. Whatever attract a ladybug is a safe option!

• Informative Informative x 1
  16. I sent a private text message to someone and the subject popped up as and add/recommended item on my Amazon account. Ridiculous.

Strange how learning the "language" of a cannabis plant opens the eyes to most all plants. I was just sitting on a porch smoking a jay and talking to someone about a small 10 foot maple tree in their yard and how it was showing signs of nitrogen deficiency/lockout and recommending ways to figure out the cause and keep it from dying.

• Like Like x 1