Lesser Known Favorites :D Share, SHARE!

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by ganjaphish, Mar 18, 2007.

1. C'mon guys, you know you have stumbled across some gems that are just fucking incredible, right? Wonder why they're not better known? Well shit... Share 'em, because if you're anything like me you LOVE finding new music to groove out to... Music is life.
    Here are mine, give 'em a listen ya'know? ;)

1) Jackie Greene ~ Blues, Rock n Roll... This kid has an old soul, and honestly his older albums are insane - this guy reminds you of Bob Dylan - but has his own unique feelin' that makes it almost absurd to relate the two.

2) Neko Case ~ Reminiscent of Tanya Donnely of Belly but with a country twang, her music is amazing and is great to just float on her cloud while smokin... soulful, beautiful, mellow and bittersweet.

3) Lucinda Williams ~ She's been around for awhile, and her country-bluesy feel with a raspy edge is just a wonderful treat. She is fuckin' awesome. I love throwin' her into the player on the way home from work, I am grinnin' by the time I hit home.

4) Todd Snider - If tomorrow never comes, I don't give a damn... Todd Snider's quirky and comedic perspective dominates the lyrics, and while his music is downright catchy and addicting, the lyrics have you laughing your ass off. Fuckin' love this guy.

5) Gov't Mule - Sure a lot of you have heard of them, but still they're just too awesome to not mention.FUCKYEAH.

I have more but wanna hear from YOU all... c'mon, now.
    Happy toking~ :) :D

2. devin the dude - waiting to inhale 3/20 get that shit!

3. Arghoslent

Metal. Though in the same way that Children of Bodom are most accurately classified as 'power metal with harsh vocals', Arghoslent could be defined as modernized NWOBHM that just happens to feature a vocalist who opts to utilize a much more extreme approach. They have a way of fusing ingenious blast-fueled riff-assaults with hints of neoclassical and folk (without veering into *non-traditional* territory as far as instruments go. It's all so fluidly modern and old school simaltaneously.

Note: their career has been clouded by controversy due to racial issues which I'm sure will become quite apparent if you open that link. This has led to them being unfortunately obscure. Notice though, that they racked up a load of fiercly positive reviews despite that.

mp3s available here

Without a shred of a doubt, they've been my number one favorite for quite a while now.

4. I'm not sure how lesser known they are is in this crowd, but my favorite is

Nick Drake - One of the best songwriters ever imo. He's music can truly take you places. GREAT while high. indie Rock, his best CD imo is Bryter Layter. If you've never listened to the album please do.

Belle & Sebastian - indie rock also, they do a lot of weird and innovative things in their music. My fav CD is The boy with the arab strap. Again its great to get high to.

5. Johnny Hobo and the Frieght Trains
    Ghost Mice
    Erik Peterson/Mishchief Brew

...if your into folk/punk/anarcho stuff

Animosity, if only because you can buy custom pipes with animosity written acrss the bowl from thier website. Animosity are hardcore/metal.

6. Summoning - Epic Atmospheric Metal - What I like about Summoning is their ability to take a musical idea and expand on it until it is exhausted. They almost never throw their song into a totally unrelated direction. They're composing ability is unmatched. They use A LOT of keyboards and slow, bombastic drums. It's very different than anything you've probably heard. They take a while to grow on you, like they did for me, but now they might as well be my favorite band.

Al Di Meola - Jazz Fusion/Flamenco - Al is an incredible guitarist whether he's playing electric or acoustic. Probably one of the best ever. He released a string of Jazz fusion albums in the 70's that I consider some of the best in the genre. He's amazing live too (Saw him last October).

7. Xavier Rudd --- He does acoustic/indie music I guess is what you'd classify it as? He's kind of a one man band, plays a lot of slide guitar and didgeridoo, which is awesome. Anything with didgeridoo has the potential for awesomeness. Really chill relaxed music. Especially check him out if you like Jack Johnson.

I'll come back and add more later. :p

8. lupe fiasco, immortal technique, atmosphere. i dont know why i just named a bunch of hip hop but whatever.

pepper, probably one of the better lesser known bands out there. sublime/california feel.

someone was telling me about xavier rudd the other day, i gotta check it out.

9. Turbonegro-Death Punk rockers from Norway. Listen and love
    Apocalyptica-if you enjoy classical stylings with a hard edged feel then here you go. 4 norwegian cello players who cover metallica tunes. oh yes.
    Flogging Molly- Irish pub punk. nuff said

MC Chris - hip hop for all us video game and star wars geeks out there

10. gastric female reflex - weird electroacoustic shit, custom-built synths with tons of contact points (these guys wool it up), amazing spastic collage work.
    myspace.com/gastricfemalereflex

and charles balls (andrew zukerman) who is 1/2 of that band.
    myspace.com/charredballs
    this guy is a collage king, be it audio or visual.
    runs beniffer editions, has so much on his plate.

11. Minus the Bear
    Appleseed Cast
    The Books
    Kaki King
    Cursive
    Onelinedrawing
    Iron & Wine
    The Streets

12. matt and kim

these guys have awesome energy. i listened to one track "it's a fact" on repeat for like an hour when i was on x once. it was awesome. check em out.

13. Minus the Bear is playing the Sasquatch Festival in central Washington this year with the Dandy Warhols and a grip of other bands... it's a 2 day event, would be a blast if tickets weren't $65 per person, each day. :(

14. Propagandhi - Haillie Sellasse, Up Your Ass

15. Gym Class Heroes
    Shoot Down The Stars
    Viva La White girl
    Cupid's Chokehold (original)
    few more, but those are my favs i suppose

Slightly Stoopid
    damn they are fuckin amazing!

Scooter
    some aweesome techno/trance w/e its called. Well... theres a lot of DJs I love

Jedi Mind Tricks
    badass lyrics, great hiphop.

thats really all off the top of my head, i know theres plenty plenty more, just cant think of em.

16. Metal -
    In Extremo
    Oomph
    MegaHerz
    Die Toten Hosen

17. The Band.