Less plants or more?

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Laceylee420, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Hey guys, i'm starting an indoor grow 60x60x80, 600 hps for flower 600 mhc bulb for veg, it's going to be a foxfarm org soil grow, i'm obviously trying to get the biggest yields possible from these babies, but I need advice!

Is it better to have less plants in bigger pots, or more plants in smaller? With my setup being space limited I just want what is size appropriate for me to get the highest yield. Any comments appreciated thank you!

2. Well your plants should flower around 40 inch due to the ceiling that's the max you should veg they will double when flowering and each plant should get 1.5 sq feet for it self

Sent from iPhone 5

3. That is halfway correct.... your enclosure is 80 high yes and 40 is half of 80 yes BUT... You do not have 80 inches to grow. You have to minus the bulk of the light enclosure which is about a foot. Then you also have to minus the height of the pot being used to grow the plant. thats almost another foot. Lets say 20 inches lost due to light and pots. So you really have 60 inches to grow in when thinking of plant height as the factor at hand. My advice is veg your plants till they are 18 inches tall then FIM or top them as well as LOLLIPOP. This should keep the plants short enough while maximizing yeild with the lollipop and top/fim methods. Wait 7-10 days after you make cuts to the plant then place them in the flower area. You have 1 Area total correct? So FIM/top and lollipop all the plants at once. You can also try LST instead of FIM lollipop. So to sum it up. you do not have 80 inches for plant growth. At 18 inches make cuts 7-10 days later flower. Topping helps keep plants shorter. If you are going to reach the light with a plant simply and carefully bend it and tie it to something in the enclosure. Way easy to do. Put as many pots as you can in the enclosure using 2-3 gallon pots. You can always toss a plant or 2 if you need space for more fans etc... Hope this helped and happy times

4. So helpful thanks so much for that info. I was going to lst the plants after about the fourth node growth, I was also thinkin of using the SCROG method, can I do that after LST? How long after LST would I then put up my screen if so?

5. LST is Low stress and not making a cut. You dont have to wait after LST to Flower. If you make any cuts to the plant then wait 7-10 days before flowering.

6. Lets also not forget that your light penetration in that room is going to be a little weak, IMO. One 600w in a 5x5 room... if you grow those plants to max size for that tent, your bottom buds are gonna be WEAK.

I'd highly consider some form of screen (even if you dont do an all-out scrog) to keep a more even canopy so that your bud sites are more level and you maximize your light usage.

7. IMO 60"x60" is a pretty large area to cover with a single 600W light...go with more plants, and keep them smaller to reduce light penetration issues...

edit: ninja'd...

8. Would you suggest a 4 by 4, or switching to 1000w? I was planning on about 5 plants, 3gal pots, is a 4 by 4 enough room for a scrog on 5 plants?

9. You could do a scrog with 1 plant in 4x4 if you wanted to... 5 plants would probably be a little much.

10. Go Big...1000w in a Raptor hood.

11. Always (always) go with a 1000 watt light if you can afford it and heat isn't an issue. The difference is huge.

12. General rule as far as I'm concerned...400W = 2 x 2, 600W = 3 x 3, 1000W = 4 x 4...I used to run 2000W in a 4 x 8 area...16 plants...worked well...

IMO more light is better 90% of the time...as long as you can keep the heat in check...

13. Thanks alot. Luckily I do have the money to switch a few things up. I'm going to go over some things and come up with a different set up. Also, when it comes to air i'm using a 6" inline fan & carbon filter. Im going to have an oscillating fan inside as well, will this be enough for air circulation?

14. Maybe...depends on the volume of your grow area, the CFM rating of the fan, the CFM rating of the filter, the resistance in your system due to bends and duct length, as well as the temperature of the air coming in through your intake...

Remember...it's easier to run too big a fan slower than it is to try to get too small a fan to do too much work...I'm a big believer in overkill...I'm sure others will disagree with me though...

No matter how well you design something, the real test is when you try it...you never know if you've overlooked or miscalculated something until you've tried it out...