less heat or more lumens?

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by bigj1208, Dec 14, 2012.

1. First thread on this site (not new to growing but just to this site) Im growing one plant scrog style in a cab that is 26''x20''x5 feet tall witch is in a closet ventilation is a 6 inch sucourt duct fan atached to a diy cooltube with passive intake coming through the botom via a false bottom hideing five 2 inch 90 degree pvc I've recently upgraded my light to a 400w hps with digital dimmable ballest witch I curently run on 75% and keeps my temps at 88 sometimes 89 or 90 when the girlfriend turns the heat to high in the house if I dimm to 50 I can keep temps around 80-82 my question is would it be more beneficial to the plant to have a lower temp and less lumens or the higher temp with more lumens I know there is no clear cut awnser just wondering peoples opinion
    Or if any one has any cheap ways to drop temps a few degrees
    thanks in advanced

2. 90 plus degrees is too hot. I've been through heat problems in the past also. My exhaust fan was strong enough but the resistance of the air intake was too high. Once I made it easier for fresh air to come in, the fan exchanged air much more quickly and solved my heat issues. I hope that helps!

Oh, and my fiancé is always trying to crank the heat too which screws with my temps. They don't want to hear that they need to be cold so that your plants can be comfortable! Good luck!

3. #3 jetski, Dec 29, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2012
    I max mine out at 30'c/86'f
    sometimes it ticks over to 31 or 32 without me worrying but I try to keep it below 30'c
    remember, light isn't everything

4. plants stretch when there's too little light. they burn and die when it's too hot.

your best option? install that fan and have the best of both worlds! crank up that light and direct the exhaust towards your girlfriend haha she won't be touching the thermostat anymore