Lemon skunk Topsy Turvy grow

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by jennabis, Jul 23, 2013.

1. Hello! I am super excited about this new project that has went waayyyy beyond our expectations!  I placed a 3 week old lemon skunk into a topsy turvy, after my husband and myself have been trying out different low stress methods, and after 3 weeks BAMM! She has proven to myself that upside down growing is possible, and I am very excited to see the end results! Anyone else had any good or not so good topsy turvy turnouts? I am curious to know because researching it has come up with very little, THANKS! :)

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      656.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      803.6 KB
      Views:
  2. That's a great idea and the first time I've ever seen a Topsy Turvy utilized to grow cannabis! :O

3. What is this crazy contraption?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Grasscity Forum mobile app

4. its a topsy turvey. The are most often used by housewives and old people to kill tomato and strawberry plants.

5. haha I get the joke... I've never heard of them before. seems like it worked great for the op.

6. Roflma!!!! Kill tomato plants, now THATS funny!!!!
    Especially because mine havent died in one!! 1374674582926.jpg
    Sorry, OP, but i just had, plus I TOO had been wondering how MJ would do growing in one :lol:

7. These always fail during flower, they pretty much always get rot.

Some noob does it every year, but I gotta say yours at least looks healthy still,......so good luck.

8. Good for you, but i fail to see the point.

Those things really only serve the purpose of making the plant do extra work. Side by side a plant in a decent sized pot will generally do much better. The topsey turvey is a novelty at best and you wont find any serious farmers using them to grow anything.

But hey, if you want to experiment there is nothing wrong with trying. Just dont be upset when the end result is a comparatively low yielding plant.

9. So far it as shown no problems, I found an advanced nutrient vid yesterday of an awsome plant getting ready to be harvested from a topsy turvy. So yeah, maybe I do have high hopes,  :love: But BTW,
    I am only 31 and I am not an old housewife, sooooo, no dead stawberries in my garden, sorry.

10. [quote name="joker865" post="18400272" timestamp="1374691550"]Good for you, but i fail to see the point.

Yes, good for me. Only point i was showing was that if you know what your doing, are not half brain dead, tomatos WILL grow in one.
    Im now going to have to sub to this to see just how Jennabis makes out. Please continue to update this thread with your results. I too am not an old housewife.

11. Oh yeah, Jennabis, good luck. Do your thing and not the way the GC "experts" want you to do it their way. It may fail, big frigging deal, it may get the biggest yeild in history, plus for you!! One never knows unless one tries.

Take a peak http://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?/topic/1221460-Cfl-Box-Grow,-Round-#2#entry18148508

12. Where did anyone say you were? I said housewvies and old people by the way, not old housewives. Those are two different statements

Your plant does look reasonably healthy, but its only a few weeks old.

13. #13 BadKittySmiles, Jul 25, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 25, 2013
    Growing cannabis in a topsy turvy is possible... meaning they will certainly survive, if you can keep a plant alive... but will it dramatically and severely cripple your yield?

Absolutely! :eek:

The same plant grown properly (ie, in such a way that allows it to produce and support large buds, rather than upside down, causing curvature, which diminishes its ability to support) will produce MUCH better! :yay:

This is why you don't see much on growing canna upside down, and when you do, the plants are consistently much smaller and their buds are more spindly, in comparison to their clone-sisters grown upright, with the same lighting, the same feeding (and to be honest, with less tedious care, too).

The only time I put canna plants in hangers is to utilize light in the upper half of my grow room... I also hang window planters on my upper walls from time to time... but even then, I still allow them to do what they'll do naturally anyhow; grow upwards, from the base up. They aren't really vines, and they also don't produce hanging fruit, after all. I wouldn't even grow my breeders upside down, because it would certainly effect their seed production and overall reproductive success. There is absolutely no benefit to allowing a cannabis plant develop upside down, EXCEPT if you're just doing it for fun, or for aesthetic decoration. :)

It's hard to argue with a person's motivations, when they're just doing it because it looks neat... they're entitled to that, I've grown and woven together many live ornamental cannabis plants myself, especially around the holidays. :)

But otherwise, if yield and quality herb is your goal, you're best off avoiding the temptation to grow them in a novelty device, and you should give them at least the basics they need to produce a decent yield.  :)

14. Yeah, yeah, yeah, someone always has something neg. to say, and some of you are right, this could end in a huge FAIL, but as of right now, I am more than happy with the results, of all my out door plants, she is def. the most beautiful!! Thanks for all encouragement and support!  :hello: And for the growing upside down thing, she has a huge stem that has held her up and away from any excess moisture, run off, ect. This idea came after trying out different low stress methods, so I don't see how this could effect the yield any more those who use other methods. Dunno really, I hope everyone is pleasantly surprised! BTW, VTyanky- THANK YOU!

15. This is for everyone who said my topsy wouldn't grow OR flower, She is flowering beautifully!  :p  And I don't mean the small pink flowers, those are to keep the nosey neighbors away, :)

Attached Files:

• 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      843.3 KB
      Views:
    • 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      551.8 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      934.1 KB
      Views:
  16. :lol:awesome

17. :) Hey everybody update on my Lemon skunk, some ass ripped my main top cola off her in the night, :(  I cried, BUT she is still goin' strong!  :hello:   I took it indoors after the miss hap, to keep her safe, will update as soon as we harvest.

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      759.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      528.4 KB
      Views:
    • 003.JPG
      003.JPG
      File size:
      433.2 KB
      Views:
  18. Lmao:lol::lol: Look at those pretty lil flowers!! I had a good feeling about this from the beginning, nice job. Sorry bout the poacher ass:angry:

19. Yeah, it was pretty crappy, ppl get jealous, I lost prob a good 6 inches off the top, plus it ripped her stalk up pretty bad, but she's a warrior! 

20. Dont switch lights on your plant. it will hermie.