Legalizing all drugs?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by topdog82, Aug 10, 2010.

1. Now I understand why marijuana should be legal

But I don't get how people support all drugs being legal

y? If you legalize marijuana, that sends out a message that its okay

Tobacco is bad. People know this
    So you do people use it?

Because it's idea of widespread use and legality makes it seem less harmful

Either way, all drugs should be legal. No government has the right to control freedom of the people. But I'm not saying it would do good to the country

2. everything in moderation

3. I can't say that the government should have no control over what I put into my body and therefore marijuana should be legal then condemn the use of other drugs. I don't personally use any other drugs (well, atleast not regularily), but if other people want to, they should be able to. Educate the people, tell them the risks, but tell them the truth, and let them make their own decisions.

4. I'm a libertarian so I support this concept.

The idea that someone can say I committed a crime against myself is asinine. It's my body, my life, my choice, my freedom, my liberty. Yet, American's are content to allow gov't to tell us what we should do with ourselves. Fuck that, I say, f-u-c-k that.

You want to do crack? Well, whether it's legal or not, you still can get crack. Legalization removes the criminal benefit, impacts gang violence, and changes nothing regarding the personal choice to use.

5. ;) :D :wave:

6. this.

the only drug I do is weed and I don't even smoke it. I don't even drink or take aspirin. =D

7. Don't be so anarchist-- the use of some drugs not only causes significant harm to the user (which I understand you don't think the government should be able to stop) but also poses a risk for others to be harmed.

If you agree with this, where do you draw the line? Should a pregnant woman legally be allowed to do drugs that could cause harm to her unborn child? Should a man be allowed to smoke cigarettes on public property, expelling carcinogenic chemicals into the air that others breathe?

8. Solution would be to legalize all drugs and take some of the millions that would be saved that we normally waste on enforcing drug laws and housing non-violent drug offenders and put it towards education programs that REALLY educated young people on drugs and their effects.

The current HS health class shit that is being taught in the US is all propaganda bullshit that really does nothing but hurt the kids. As kids see that they smoke some bud and it isn't the devil like their teachers preached they wonder how ill-informed they were about other substances...

Of course, this isn't a realistic option as the vast majority of our nation would be entirely against the legalization of drugs and we know that funds placed in our education system can not guarantee that it will be put to effective use.

9. #9 Relics, Aug 10, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2010
    I think you missed the point on all the "my's" in the previous post. The topic is legalization of all illicit drugs. The my's point out individual rights, which would take precidence ove the drug user's, a la crack babies. But that goes without saying...

To the op, I'd be ok with it cuz I don't do those drugs and I could care less who does it on their free time. However when cases of white teenage females overdosing at clubs start to pop up, the politicians will start to sweat bullets.

If you really wanna get in depth with what will happen, just check out Portugal.

10. whats happening down there?

11. What do you mean "individual rights would take precedence over the drug user's rights"? It's the same shit, a drug user's individual rights are no different than yours.

12. as long as their drug doesn't harm me in any way, then im cool.

13. Lets say all drugs were legal and the government controlled their production and sale. The govn't could look at the illegal suppliers' costs of production and set its own prices at a level too low for the illegal suppliers to match.

What junkie is going to choose to illegally buy dubious quality dope off shady characters for a higher price than they'd pay to legally buy quality-guaranteed product from safe and attractive establishments? Any??

This monopoly on legal, low-priced drugs would kill the black-market trade in illegal drugs, and since drug selling funds so much other crime it'd also eliminate a lot of other criminal activity from this country.

This doesn't mean you'd see heroin and meth sold in gas stations though, the govn't could easily decide to limit their sale to methadone-like clinics with plenty of security and counseling for the customers to help them get off drugs and rebuild their lives.

The benefit for non-drug users is less crime in their communities, more security in their homes, and far less chance that their kids will come into contact with drug dealers trying to sell them illegal drugs.

14. technically...up there.
    And all drugs are decriminalized.
    Drugs in Portugal: Did Decriminalization Work? - TIME
    :p

15. I say legalize it all, if society falls apart because of this, then blame your fellow humans for fucking it up.

I'm suprised our species is still going, if I was in the middle of WW2, I would have assumed it was the end of ourselves.

16. All drugs should be legalized and problematic use can then be treated as what it is, a public health issue, rather than the crazy state of criminalization that there currently is.

Prohibition doesn't work. If your argument against legalizing is that they'd become easier to get... pretty much bullshit. I could get any drug I wanted within a half hour. The Police in the UK stop less than 1% of drugs that enter the country. Economics dictates that if there is a demand for a product there will always be someone willing to supply the commodity, no matter the risks (it being illegal just causes barriers to entry, pushes up the price and puts money in to the pockets of hardened criminals).

2 things to consider:

Portugal decriminalized the use of all drugs. When you're caught you are now referred to a panel of a lawyer, social services worker and health care professional. They go over the best course of action to educate you about your use and how best to get you off of a potentially life destroying substance. For me this seems like a much better option than locking up non-violent offenders at massive cost to the state, never mind what effect being in prison would have on the person. Levels of use have dropped in Portugal, HIV rates are falling, use amongst teenagers has fallen. On every level how can this be seen as anything other than a huge success?

Second; tobacco. The government realised the harms to public health this was causing back in the 60s/70s. Since then massive amounts of money have been pumped into education programs and methods of incentives to help smokers to quit. The number of smokers has plummeted in the last 40 years. Not one person was locked up to achieve this.

2 things dictate that prohibition will never ever work. Economics and personal liberty.

Legalize.

/rant.

17. There aren't many drugs that cause harm to others and two of the most dangerous in this category are infact legal. Alcohol and Tobacco.

18. If all drugs were legalized, everyone would be a heroin addict a year later.

19. Any evidence? Or just blind speculation... nice argument there bud.

The evidence there is suggests the exact opposite.
    Drugs in Portugal: Did Decriminalization Work?

You lose.

20. Just blind speculation of what i think lol, that is if everyone was a hedonist like me.