Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

legalize or decriminalize? your opinion

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by SmileywhenHIGH, Oct 4, 2012.

1. So what do you think? Legalize or decriminalize? Why? (Respect other people's answer)

2. Decriminalizing marijuana will not fix the massive illegal gangs that profit from weed and use the profits to of an innocent plant to fund their other shitty activities.

3. i thought this was a joke thread, legalize, come on now...

4. I'd rather it be legalised. But I'll take what I can get

5. why would any1 choose decriminalize over legalize?

6. Because there are a lot of people that profit from the illegality of Marijuana.

7. [quote name='"kannesss"']I'd rather it be legalised. But I'll take what I can get[/quote]

I agree

8. it's funny because i doubt weed will even come close to legalization. or at least not for about 50 years or so. right now we've got two candidates running for presidency that both are strongly against marijuana. not to mention generally every older-generation (and patriotic) citizen is against it as well

9. Legalize.

And I want to rant about a related subject: the justification that a lot of people use to legalize pot is so the gov't can tax it and all that revenue will help the gov's fiscal problems.

The gov's fiscal problems are because they spend too much. Period. Not because of too little revenue coming in.

Pot should be legalized for all of the OTHER reasons, not so the gov't can raise taxes. These are, or should be, two separate issues IMO.

10. [quote name='"Fizzly"']
    Legalize.

And I want to rant about a related subject: the justification that a lot of people use to legalize pot is so the gov't can tax it and all that revenue will help the gov's fiscal problems.

The gov's fiscal problems are because they spend too much. Period. Not because of too little revenue coming in.

Pot should be legalized for all of the OTHER reasons, not so the gov't can raise taxes. These are, or should be, two separate issues IMO.[/quote]

some of the people that are against marijuana actually want legalize and its For this reason. They think that if they tax the shit out of it, they'll make some cash and it wouldnt be afordable so fewer and fewer people would purchase.

11. Dunno about you, but i'd pay a premium if it meant I didn't have to risk my freedom to smoke a joint :confused_2:

12. If its legalized i feel the government would take over the pot growing, and everybody knows what happens when they take over. Just because its legalized doesn't mean its going to be 100% safe and no restrictions. It would be similar to alcohol. You can only brew X amount of beer, and you can't brew any liquor.

13. i say decriminalize

we have a good system goin here
    no need to fix whats not broken

14. The American Drug War is "a good system"?? Well yes, it's a good system for government and their insatiable appetite to expand, but not very good for the citizens.

15. there wont be a drug war if its decriminalized

16. [quote name='"Modzilla"']

Because there are a lot of people that profit from the illegality of Marijuana.[/quote]

So besides greed theres no reason to decriminalize instead of legalize

17. Legalise for sure! I spend most of my week working contributing to this shit heap of a system, the least it could do is allow me to smoke my herb, it's not right.

18. #19 9D3, Oct 6, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 6, 2012
    I hate the tax it argument because people only seem to use it as a way not to sound anti-government so they won't be criticized by their non-smoker peers for their support in the legalization of marijuana. They try to make it sound like a simple cure-all, when really the system is fucked beyond belief. The government's spending ridiculous amounts of money that they have no possible way of ever seeing again.

They (the government) need to learn to be "frugal" like the rest of us, so to speak. Instead of building expensive-ass brand new buildings every time they need something, they should consider buying an old building that would suit their needs - the average person doesn't build a brand new house every time they move. The government also needs to quit with the ridiculous salaries. Nobody should be making over $250k a year unless they're working their ass off every second they're clocked in or performing miracles (such as making debt disappear instantaneously).

And I'm sure nobody would like to see the price of weed increase beyond what it's at, no matter where you are :)

In my opinion, for most of us smokers at least, decriminalization (or no marijuana-related law at all!) would be the best way to go. Think of how easily/quickly you can get a hold of some weed at almost any point in the day. It would only become easier and quicker to get a hold of it, and the price would go down in the expensive ares and at least remain the same where it's already cheap. Remember, it's just a plant when it comes to it. Paying even $5 for a gram of a plant is quite crazy, yet some pay $20 or more.

19. Agree totally. [​IMG]
    I agree, but as an anarchist I think the institution itself is immoral and unworkable as advertised. (However, it works very well for their OWN interests. How can they go wrong when they monopolize everything they do?)

To me, it should be no different than if I sold you a set of tires for the agreed price of a hundred bucks. I give you the tires, you give me the hundred bucks. Nothing illegal, everybody's happy, no third party need involve itself.

Or to buy pot commercially, it should be sold like food, shoes, computers, tools, etc. You go to a store and buy it, the government has nothing whatsoever to do with the exchange. It grates me to do this, but I would grudgingly go along with adding whatever the local sales tax is.

If a merchant can grow or buy wholesale and retail it for $100/oz., fine, let him do it. Competition and supply/demand will balance everything out at some point as it does in any undisturbed market. Keep the government the fuck out of the whole transaction. All they can do is fuck it up (like they do with everything else).