Legalization = Tourism?

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by pox, May 25, 2009.

1. If marijuana was legalized in the US, wouldn't tourism increase, leading to more money being put into the economy?

Look at Amsterdam. Does anyone know if their tourism rates went up after legalization?

2. I don't think tourism from other countries will increase substantially, and I think if it eventually is fully legalized in the US then Canada and Mexico will follow shortly after if they haven't already done so. I think an increase in tourism will be more noticeable if only a few states legalized. People from all over the country would travel there to buy legal weed. I think it would cause some interesting problems for the police in the neighboring states if they don't legalize also because people could just drive across the border and then drive back. It would be like bootlegging in the old days in all the surrounding states.

3. It's called drug tourism.

I doubt it would have a noticeable effect in this country however, we have a lot to draw tourism anyway. I'm sure Amsterdam has noticed it, but in this country at least that is what Amsterdam is known for. I would be willing to be most people in this country couldn't even tell you where Amsterdam is aside from "In Europe or something" but if you ask them what they know about it they would say weed and maybe prostitutes.