Legalization of marijuana is building in Canada

Discussion in 'Politics' started by BakedSnarf, Apr 9, 2015.

1. Legalization and regulation of marijuana on the federal level is gaining a lot of speed here in Canada. The Liberal Party's stance on the subject and how they plan - if elected this upcoming October - to fully implement a system that allows for the recreational use of marijuana on a federal level is a bigger factor in the realm of federal politics here in Canada. 

The federal election is taking place in October of this year, what's everyone's thoughts on this? If the Liberal Party is elected, how long do you think it'll take until they can effectively implement the federal legalization of smoking pot for adults (similar to the regulation of alcohol)? [​IMG]

Video of Justin Trudeau (Liberal Party's leader) and Shane Smith (co-founder of VICE News), discussing the legalization of marijuana in Canada

2. We do have a great system in place for the regulation of alcohol sales and consumption. If they were to just adopt this system and tweak it for recreational pot sales, I think it would work quite well.

I, for one, will be voting for the first time in this federal election. Where I am, the climate is ideal for pot growing. Our main source of income (commercial fishing) is dying pretty quickly. Legalization of marijuana would benefit us greatly. Hell, just the tax revenue from marijuana sales would help us a lot the way the economy in Canada is right now.

I'll probably still buy it from my dealer though 😉

3. Its already practically legal on the west coast.

There's about 60 dispensaries currently in the Vancouver area and I keep seeing more and more opening. Many don't even require a medical confirmation (Although I required one for a different one which was approved), only a membership fee.

If and once it is legalised and taxed, expect to see the price go significantly higher. Checked out Washington state's prices and they offer 1 ounce for over 300 bucks, whereas the dispensary I go to offers an ounce for just $100 bucks!

4. Legalize it, just leave me and my garden alone ...

5. #5 BakedSnarf, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2015
    My thoughts exactly, the system for legalization is really already there, just look at places that have already legalized it like Colorado or Washington State. We simply need to adopt it into our society and build up an infrastructure of dispensaries and growing centres. 

I think it'll help a great deal from its overall tax revenue in all provinces once legalized, but I don't necessarily think it'll be the saviour for places like Newfoundland and Labrador which've been hit hard since the bans were imposed on them for overfishing. Otherwise what'll end up happening is we'll get a ridiculous price hike when buying from dispensaries and it won't choke out the black market like the Liberal Party is hoping legalization will. 

Cheaper is great, but isn't necessarily always better. Even though we'll be paying nearly double when buying from dispensaries once/if marijuana is legalized, you'll still have the advantage of knowing what strain you're buying, and can pick and choose between buying edibles, bud, and maybe even waxes once commercial marijuana has a proper infrastructure in Canada.

It is in this case lol

One can choose from dozens of strains all from a vending machine!

7. While it may be true that current smokers who don't give a shit what the law says about it won't be willing to pay top dollar from a dispensary, people who are more discreet about it or will only try it once legalized will most likely only buy from a dispensary only. Eventually the government would find a happy place between taxing the shit out of it and keeping the stoners happy.

Doesn't matter, I'll be growing once it's legalized anyway, whether growing is legal or not.

8. #8 Burgerman72, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 10, 2015
    Vancouver police tolerate it. From what I've read the system they have there is held together by a thread, and can completely unravel at any given time. That said, what's happening over there is promising at least.

I could be wrong though, I'm not from there but you seem to be. Correct me on that if I'm wrong.

But besides the advantage of paying less for your bud, what's better in buying from a dealer vs. a dispensary? 

Dispensaries offer far more variety, not to mention quality control.

I find it far more appealing to buy from a dispensary over meeting a dealer on the street and having to go through the sketchy process.

It's such a grey area that I have no idea how so many dispensaries are opening right now.

I knew a legal grower and if you knew how much spray they used in making sure her crop did not falter, you'd stop smoking dispensary weed.  When I visited, I saw 100 gallon drums of all manner of chemicals sitting just outside the flower room.  Even the head grower said she wouldn't smoke it and she grew organic weed for her personal consumption.

12. #12 J-DILLA, Apr 10, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 10, 2015

I know what you mean; this dispensary also carries organic stuff, although I'm not too concerned about the pesticide use as I usually buy organic.

Knowing vegetables and fruits are doused with pesticides already it doesn't make much difffence to me lol.

I see, did not know they had organic as well.  That's encouraging.