Legalization in Mexico?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by SaintsForce, Aug 21, 2010.

1. I was reading The Economist on the plane the other day, and I came across an interesting article.
    It said that the current president of Mexico, President Calderon has called for an open forum about the topic of legalization, to which former Mexican President Fox came out for full drug legalization, regulation, and sale. He was also joined in this by a study published by the Mexican president before him, Zedillo (1994-2004) as well as Brazil's former head of state Cardoso and Colombia's former head of state Gaviria.

Now, I have not seen a public opinion poll on this topic, but it is interesting to have some very major political moderates come out so strongly for something like full scale legalization.
    Could we be witnessing a serious beginning of the end?

2. I sure hope so man :smoke:

3. USA won't let them..

4. I was under the impression that there were no laws in Mexico.

^^^^sarcasm^^^^

5. Mexico hates the war on drugs, it's tearing them apart and causing slaughter, while the US holds them into it.

I'm afraid that if legalization happend, in mexico but especially the US, the cartels would just start chopping the heads off of random people with the demand that the war be re started.... sounds silly, but I can see it happening... And then the US would cave in to terrorism and reverse the changes... The only way it could be combatted is with the entire population shunning the war on drugs and the cartels, and responding violently to any cartel activity.....

6. I dk, I think that between this sort of changing attitude south of the border, and CA loooking at least if not promising then interesting things will change soon.
    at least,
    We can hope.

7. Yes the issue of MX legalizing drugs is long coming and will eventually happen due to the cartel affairs. The whole "Cartel" violence and warfare that is injected into political conversations is seriously played out...specially when talking about MJ consumption and production in the US (Mom-&-Pop growers in CALIFORNIA[probably even Humboldt alone could handle it lol] OUTGROW Cartels ANY HARVEST, ALL DAY EVERYDAY)...most people I know smoke Dank Nugs straight from Cali, NONE have Cartel "pressed nugs"lol

Cartels don't PROFIT from weed (it is their staple product, they been doing it since the -70s, just watch BLOW), THE REAL PROBLEM is in the recent decades MEXICAN CARTELS have ousted Colombian/Bolivian drug lords by increasingly profitting from trafficking cocaine, leaving South American druglords as the source....decades ago no one would have thought Mexicans would have become this organized and powerful, but Coke is a helluva drug. California grows the most weed in the world (watch NGC documentary Marijuana Nation), but Coke will keep coming from the south, and meth raw chemicals as well (alot of domestic Meth is made in the Midwest US btw). This is why I don't even understand why people talk about supporting cartels when they try to demonize weed. THE US PROVIDES ALL THE GUNS AND WEAPONS TO THE CARTELS BTW, AND THIS IS THE CAUSE OF THE VIOLENCE. Keep the herb out of the Cartel discussions just saying.

8. #8 newbienewton, Aug 21, 2010
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2010
    Calderon is personally against legalization but bowed to pressure from other presidents and ex-presidents to set up the open forum. He will be a voice of prohibition during the forum (if it ever happens).

Link.

9. I've heard that weed accounts for 60% of cartel profit. Take away that, and they no longer have so much money to buy guns with and if the mexican army hits them hard then, then the cartels will be more controlable.

10. Im sure your about right, it has to account for profit or they wouldnt be smuggling it in obviously.

11. Cartels sure aren't going to like this.

12. The war on drugs in Mexico is not a war to stop the marketing of drugs but a war for the control of the market. The Mexican army is not eradicating crops,they are just trying to eliminate the cartels. Mexico must legalize marijuana in order for their farmers to have a legal market for their crops.
    Those billions of dollars in the drug market are as much a part of Mexico's economy as any of the legitimate markets in Mexico.

13. #13 dcgamer, Aug 23, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2010
    Mexican Cartels have been the primary supplier of bulk cannabis for decades (this has always been the case, it is a staple export[way too common and not their primary MOTIVE to traffic) in the Southwest and nearby US states by the US-Mexican border, but i'm sure if you've noticed what's been going on in the last decades, Colombian cartels like the Medellin Cartel and Cuban runners were all based in Florida...REMEMBER SCARFACE? it use to be Cubans and Colombians were the VIOLENT and ORGANIZED traffickers, but Mexicans overtime made a large jump into being the NEW KINGPINS, BY OVERTAKING THE COCAINE BIZ (Colombians had to go thru Mexicans in order to get the product sold and transported) and this is very recent. Bud has always been smuggled into the US, but IT IS A PLAYED OUT argument when Cartels are connected to the "DRUG" trafficking...MEXICAN CARTELS FORCE NATIVE COMMUNITIES in MX TO PLANT POPPY(HEROIN) and have squeezed all the PROFITTING that comes from transporting Cocaine, Heroin (they don't come close to Afghanistan when it comes to trafficking Heroin--but almost all Heroin in US is from the south). COCAINE IS TRADED FOR AMERICAN-PROVIDED GUN AND WEAPONS. U THINK THEY TRADE BUD FOR GUNS?LOL

GO WATCH NATIONAL GEOGRAPHIC's "Marijuana Nation", domestic Mom and Pop growers in California are the primary supplier of most "kindbud" you see in the US. CALI BUD triples/quadruples in value in the Eastcoast. Humboldt County in Northern California became the pioneer in genetics in the 70s, and continues to flood alot of the US with dank. the Hydroponic revolution and indoor grow-ops in Cali have made what CANNABIS is in the US now. Canada,BC and Colorado also contributed to the movement, but seriously right-wing politicians pointing to ME for SUPPORTING CARTELS FOR SMOKING WEED make me LOL. Let's see how much seeds and stems VS. POUNDS AND POUNDS of COCAINE and BLACK TAR HEROIN. MJ shouldn't even be in the equation of the DRUG WAR period. AND THE US HAS ALOT TO DO WITH EMPOWERING CARTELS, AND ALLOWING VIOLENCE AND THE DRUG WAR TO CONTINUE.

there are countless rumors about US politicians funding their campaigns with the Cocaine business. I'm not sure if it goes on now, but it definitely must've gone on during the Scarface era when Colombians and their transporter Cuban allies had control of the drug biz.

14. What needs to be remembered when discussing the legalization of marijuana is the orchestrated lies that initially made the plant illegal in the first place. If you do your research much can be learned. When marijuana was first introduced to the United States it became a socialite drug of choice - permited in bars, many of whom were devoted solely as a place to congregate and partake in the smoking of this exotic plant. It was around the time of the prohibition of alcohol and marijuana became the foremost "relaxation" tool. Americans, and people in general, have enjoyed a way to relax and unwide, whether its been alcohol, tobacco or marijuana.

15. History has taught us that violence gets things done. IF not for the cartels killing everybody, then Mexico would not even be considering legalization. I hate people having to die for the cause, but it wouldn't be the Drug War if we didn't take any wounds.

I wonder who kills more innocents.........SWAT teams or cartels?

16. War on Drugs?
    Calderon must legalize at least marijuana in order to insure that the marijuana crops(which he is not eradicating)are at least eligible to be exported if a legal market is allowed.
    The illegal marijuana market is as much a part of Mexico's economy as any of the legal
    markets.
    Calderon is not trying to stop the drug market,he just wants control of it and the only way he can do that is remove the cartels. They make busts and seizures of cartel cash and drugs when they can find it but are doing nothing about the labs and growers.

17. over 30.000 people murdered in Mexico (that we know of) I think the cartels win, hands down.

18. We shall see what becomes of this supposed Legalization

I too have seen on the tv news that the president wants to legalize "drugs" in the country

I sure hope they do and i sure hope they give the us the finger this time

mexico is in a huge turmoil over this bs

19. If MJ was legalized here, maybe we would be able to buy some dank shit instead of mids for a better price. I know some places all you can find is cartel nug.