Legalization in 3 states?

Discussion in 'Marijuana News' started by Jaycooler, Aug 9, 2012.

1. Here in Colorado for vacation... holy shit the view on Marijuana is completely different then where I'm from. Congrats I could see this going far.

2. I personally would rather see it decriminalized as with legalization the DUI thing bothers me a lot but that's really the only problem I see with legalization

3. washington does not have decrim. its 1-90 days 40 grams or less

4. [quote name='"misael"']

washington does not have decrim. its 1-90 days 40 grams or less[/quote]

Ahh you're right. Wow WA is going the whole nine yards not having bud decriminalized yet voting for recreational use. For that my hats of to them.

5. Cannabis will be officially legal when it's legal at the federal level. Even if cannabis was legal in a state, the dea would probably still have more jurisdiction.

6. #26 HeaDiEs RusH, Aug 9, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 9, 2012
    The only thing the feds might do is threaten to cut federal subsidies for roads and the like.That's what they did with alcohol and it obviously worked.

However, I have a pretty good feeling that the feds won't do shit. The DEA isn't doesn't control the coin purse (thank god) and Obama will be on his second term, ergo he doesn't give a fuck.

------------ Edit ------------

Or should I say *might be on his second and *hopefully doesn't give a fuck.

Hell, if Obama was smart about it, he would realize that demanding an end to the prosecutions is a re-election tool. He did something similar when he suddenly opposed the Defense of Marriage Act, but I guess he's just doesn't want to take the gamble on marijuana.

7. #27 Beeze, Aug 10, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 10, 2012
    IMPORTANT- (speaking for Washington only- I dont know if this applies to the other 2 states)

Safe Access Alliance

I would encourage everyone (especially the Medical Marijuana crowd) to vote NO on I-502! We gain nothing and lose so much. The biggest thing being, the DUI situation. And to be clear, this is decriminalization, not legalization. They are worlds apart.

:mad: DUI convictions for patients with no defense in court. You could receive a DUI a day or more after medicating.

:mad: Will increase the cost of medicine by 50%-75%. I-502 has new cannibis taxes with NO exemption for medical patients. A gram a day will cost patients nearly $2,000 mroe in taxes each year!!

:mad: Shuts down safe access everywhere. Most access points will have to shut down because of I-502's severe restrictions.

:mad: Zero Tolerance for adults under 21. I-502 maintains current criminal penalties for adults under 21 while imposing a new zero tolerance DUI law. Adults under 21 with any detectable amount of THC in their system would get an automatic DUI and lost their driving rights, even if they only absorb second hand smoke. I-502 removes their ability to defend themselves in court.

I-502 is the wrong approach. Learn the facts and tell everyone you know to vote No on I-502.

8. #28 ElementGREEN, Aug 10, 2012
    "we would control the money, not the gangs."
    Haha pot is typically not a substance controlled by the gangs(or at least not in the south). Only schwag, because of the mexicans.

But Beeze has a point. We want the government OUT of marijuana. Not trying to control it, because all they care about is making money off it.
    Decriminalization + medicinal use is loose enough to get around already. I don't know if we really want the pot industry becoming the new cigarettes. Haha "marlboro 420's". :D

9. Boo! Your state has the opportunity to set the "domino effect" for legalization across the country, and you wish to veto that because the law is not tailored to your exact specifications? Don't you understand that there will be many No votes coming from ultra-conservatives and those still in denial about the benefits of cannabis, there is very little room for No votes from cannabis proponents themselves. Although perhaps your "Legal MMJ Grower" status on these forums has something to do with your opinion, many people in this nation are not given that privilege.

No, I'm not from Washington, but I just want to let everyone who is be aware of the fact that voting Yes on this bill supports a much larger picture nationwide, and that the passing of it would bring cannabis into the limelight this election year. Pass now, nitpick later with the same scientific proof that brought us this far.

10. #30 Beeze, Aug 10, 2012

If this bill doesn't pass, another will come along and HOPEFULLY it will be geared more toward what is good for the people and not just brashly moving forward because it looks like if we don't, all will be lost.

And yes, I will veto the whole thing if I don't like something about it and that something outweighs the good. IMO the bad outweighs the good, so I vote NO. That is how democracy is supposed to work.

11. Sorry to burst your bubble but if The appeal is denied, it's just going to move up to the supreme court which is heavily conservative and in Harper's pocket and then the appeal will go through. imo. We're going to have to fight much more to legalize cannabis in Canada

12. Except when the represent the failed 502 to the public it will be said to fail due to a lack of support in cannabis legalization, ergo we (the government) can stop listening and put our fingers in our ears. I'm not american but i can see the negative spin that the failed law produces extremely detrimental to a new proposed bill. not to be cliche but beggars can't be choosers, at least not yet. You may just be shooting yourself in the foot for another 15 years.

13. Correct. Except I'm not the beggar here, so I can afford to choose.

Besides, every time I see some poll showing public approval ratings for marijuana, they seem to be rising. The higher the approval rating goes, the less government ass we have to kiss and concede powerful things in the bill.

14. You're being selfish then, straight up. The bad may outweigh the good at first glance for someone such as yourself, who possesses a card in one of the 17 MMJ states. Theoretically speaking, if this bill passes its' flaws will be amended far before another bill comes around that is more to your liking.

One thing that I believe you fail to recognize is the importance of this bills' timing. This bill is being voted on in an election year, making it significantly more important than waiting for another bill down the line. As someone said earlier, it is important to usher in this bill and start a discussion between the Presidential candidates, rather than allow the Government to turn a blind eye to the people.
    With all of that in mind, you surprisingly hold a viewpoint not unlike that of a prohibitionist, case en point; "Forget what is right for the greater good (cannabis legalization), I personally am making far too much money off of ---- " (insert civil forfeitures, selling prescription medication, my dispensary)

15. Beeze isn't saying legalization is bad, he's saying the bill is loaded with potentially dangerous landmines.

Legalizing cannabis should IMPROVE the lives of those who choose to use it, not make it more complicated, and that's the problem with the bill.

I'll be moving to WA in a few years and I don't want to get a DUI for driving sober a few days after I've medicated. If they're able to issue a DUI for as long as THC is detectable in my system, fuck that could be 30 days or more! Screw that.

The cost spike will make cannabis a rich man's drug and not everyone is able to grow. That's not right. Nor is losing the right to defend oneself in court.

I want cannabis to be legal just as much as anyone, but it needs to be done right.

16. Well said, + rep.

17. thank you kindly

18. LOL to that guy on the first page that said washington had already decriminalized.

19. this isnt a very convincing commercial to the brainwashed. You really got to explain it more than that. theyre just gunna be like what? that crazy lady says to legalize marijuana so we can make money off it. BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CHILDREN!??????

20. Under the current law, carrying around cannabis is against the law. There is still an "under the influence of drugs" charge if caught smoking while driving or admitting to smoking while driving.
    The fear of a marijuana DUI under I-502 is highly irrational: If possession alone is legalized, then having an ounce in your truck is not going to be probable cause to issue a sobriety test. That's the same as suspecting someone of being drunk when they're driving back from the store with a 6-pack.
    You still have your due process, people. As long as you're not actually under the influence on the road, I don't see why it's assumed that you would give off enough probable cause to be issued a sobriety test against your own will.
    Keep in mind what I said earlier, it's much better to vote Yes on this bill taking place in an election year, and having the kinks ironed out far before another bill is introduced, which inevitably will have some small group of cannabis supporters rallying against it right alongside the uber-conservatives, soccer moms and cops.