Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Legality of owning bongs

Discussion in 'Apprentice Marijuana Consumption' started by TheCrow, Aug 18, 2010.

1. First off hello. I'm new to the community, but I've been toking for a number of years, one of my favorite hobbies haha.

Like I said I've been toking for a few years and I'm finally looking at buying my first water bong with an active carbon filter. I'm ordering from grass city, so +1 to me haha. Anyway I live on a college campus for the majority of the year in Virginia. I know in VA it legal to sell and buy bongs, but is that where the legality of them ends? Let's say I have a brand new bong (never been used) and I want to take it outside on campus and spark up pipe tobacco in it. Obviously Campus Safety is going to question me, and may even get a bit pissed. But do I have the right to smoke tobacco out of it in public? Does that give them right to search the rest of my belongings? Can it still be considered marijuana paraphernalia?

Obviously sparking up some green in the open with a bong would get me arrested real quick, as it's still not decriminalized in VA. But what do some of you other seasoned smokers know about it?

Thanks for any help,
    TheCrow

2. Im sure they propally would arrest you they might not charge u for anything i dont kno. But i kno ppl dont buy bongs to smoke tobacco out of so there not goign to think that ur smoking that instead of weed. Just smoke indoors unless its safe to smoke outdoors

3. It's perfectly legal to smoke tobacco out of it in public. After all, that's what they're sold for, right? You might get hassled, but nothing will come of it.

4. No worries. As long as it's never been used for smoking weed then it's legal. They might hassle you or even arrest you if they are ignorant dicks but I doubt it. A friend of mine used to smoke his hookah (which kinda looked like a bong) outside and deliberately went up to a cop to ask if he could get into trouble - her answer was no. He would also keep some extra hookah in his pocket to show a cop during a possible encounter.

5. Yea i kno that but hes said smoking out of a bong in public he might not get charged unless its a dick cop. Because who going outside and smokeing tobacco out of a bong? The cops going to see that hes a smart ass tring to do get into trouble and waste cops time. I honest wouldnt be surprised if they gave u disorderly conduct or some bs charge.

6. Yeah this is what I thought about it. I've smoked many a hookah outside on campus, just never seen someone try to smoke a bong outside. The only reason I ask is I live in a dorm, and it's incredibly stupid to try to smoke in the room even with a sploof and spray. And I've never tried the active carbon filters. I know as soon as I get the bong I'm going to want to smoke out of it, and there are few places I can get away with smoking kush on campus. No worries, I've got a place to smoke the piece it's just not always available.

Anyway thanks for the replies fellas.

7. Smoking tobacco out of a bong is perfectly legal, end of story.

If a cop tries to arrest you for it, you have the right to resist unlawful arrest...

8. Yeah but if they gave me some BS charge like that I could I go to court and they'd be forced to drop it. I know VA has some fucked up laws so I was really wondering about the laws against / protecting ownership and usage. I'm not any kind of law student, so I was wondering if any of you knew.

9. ^yeh but who the fuck wants to go to court for smoking tobacco out of a bong? lol Court fees are a bitch.

10. I dont kno if it would be even worth goign to court for small charges. I was just sayin i wouldnt smoke out of a bong outside even if what i was smoking is legal its just attention you dont need its just a dumb idea regaurdless if its illegal or legal.

11. There's no need to go to court. You have the right to resist an unlawful arrest.

Your Right of Defense Against Unlawful Arrest

12. I wouldnt test the waters. your bong will have tobacco resin in it and it will taste bad when you smoke weed out of it.

Another reason not to is people will see you with the bong and they will remember it. You can now get it stolen or someone can just rat on you and have your dorm room all tossed around. its just not worth it.

13. cops aren't stupid. If they're arresting you they've already got a lawful charge to bring to you, regardless of if it's true/accurate or not.

Don't ever resist arrest. Cops can be real assholes and resisting will never end in your favor. In the end it's your word against him and his buddies.

If are being unlawfully arrested, go along with it, wait until they either charge you/release you and then regroup to take action.

14. I would be VERY surprised if it resulted in a disorderly conduct charge. The cop knows it's perfectly legal, and as long as OP isn't causing a big scene...

15. I'm not saying hit the cop or anything... I'm saying, if he tells you to put your hands on the car, or telling you he's going to arrest you.. just walk away. That simple, you're not doing anything wrong.

And yeah, no cop is going to arrest you for disorderly conduct for smoking in public.

16. once there is resin in the bong it becomes paraphernalia

17. i Smoked a hookah in the smoking section on my college campus and within 10 mins there was security guards asking us what we were smoking, they knew it was hookah as soon as they saw it but they said they were getting calls about us smoking a bong haha. they were cool about it though