Legality of cultivating marijuana around the world

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by johnjohn, May 4, 2010.

1. I have been researching this topic for a while but a lot that has been compiled on Wikipedia and other marijuana sites is out of date. I am interested in knowing current laws about cultivating cannabis around the world.

There are many people here from all around the globe so please speak up about your country and the consequences you are looking at for getting caught cultivating cannabis.

So far, I heard that you can grow up to 5 plants legally in Netherlands and Spain.

What are the laws in your country? Norml does provide updated and accurate laws per state so we can skip USA.

2. #2 wowee123, May 5, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 5, 2010
  3. that is a great link but still, a lot of it is outdated, from a quick read i can add:

Belgium: The cultivation of one female cannabis plant for personal use is decriminalized.

I really like the Portugal and Checz Republic laws in terms of possession, but most of the world still has bad laws in terms of cultivation.

4. Here if you're growing for personal use (although undefined that's usually about 6 plants or less) you're probably looking at community service, fine or something along those lines. Probably only get a custodial sentence if you're obviously growing to sell. Even then the laws aren't bat shit like some of America, you wouldn't get more than 5 years at most in many cases I don't think.

5. what the hell, that article on wikipedia says australia has medical marijuana, Thats news to me. pretty sure its wrong.

6. Here in the UK its a Class B drug which on paper means for possession its up to five years in prison or an unlimited fine or both. For dealing its to 14 years in prison or an unlimited fine or both.

However the reality is that if you have personal use (generally around an 8th or less, but it is up to the officer who nabs you) and you have no previous conviction for drug offences its a road side warning, they take your weed and next time you will get brought into the police station.

Its really all about respect, if a UK cop stops you they are going to search you, and they will give you the option to hand over anything you have before they do. I would always take that option, its shows your not some rude boy and generally speaking they just let you on your way.

As far as growing is concerned I have heard of people with 10 plants just getting them seized and having a fine slapped on them.

7. But I did just go out and vote for the new govenment today, if the Lib Dem's get in then we may see decriminalisation in a couple of years.

8. damn i should move to the czech republic. that place knows whats up

9. so, anyone here from South America or the Central America?