Legalising Cannabis?

Discussion in 'Philosophy' started by esseff, Apr 26, 2011.

1. With many States in the US now offering legalised medical MJ, even though federal law seems to be dragging its heals to catch up (what's with all that anyway?), it's probably just a question of time before more States come on board. However, much of the rest of the world, the UK in particular, remains adamant that Cannabis must remain illegal under all conditions - as far as they're concerned it has no medicinal use whatsoever!

Normally it's only a matter of time before we in the UK follow our US cousins on most things, yet there is no move towards legalisation for medicinal use going on here at all.

Removing the need to become 'criminal' in order to use, get, grow, etc, as well as taking the organised criminal element out of cannabis, thus ensuring the money generated doesn't go into funding terrorist activities, etc, makes too much sense, never mind the huge tax revenue any government would receive through legalising. Yet there is still huge resistance to doing so.

I think they are afraid.

Government is all about power and control and the need to ensure that it remains that way. So why would things ever truly change? What would make the UK (as well as the federal US) government let go of the fear that if they let go of the control of cannabis, people will really start to wake up and they might start to really lose control?

2. The problem here is that we all live in ignorance. All of the hundreds of thousands of posters on this website, they generally think they know exactly why Cannabis is illegal. They think they know the effects cannabis has on the brain and body. This is a subject that is just not yet clear, i'm afraid. Cannabis is generally illegal world-wide. Either governments world-wide are evil, or there is something wrong with cannabis. Wrong in the sense that, as a government, it is a poor strategy to make cannabis freely available to your citizenry. I've looked at this topic with an extremely careful and rigorous attitude, and this is all that I have come up with. I do not claim to know if Cannabis is good or bad overall, and I do not claim to know why it is illegal.

3. #3 sovietpothead, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011
    ha ...

your missing out the big picture.
    there are people that are extreamly interested to keep cannabis illegal , people with $ and power .
    as we all know , power leads to abuse .for them it's pritty darn simple "i have a business , legalizing cannabis would make me lose a lot of money .... hmmmm .... maybe i can use my $ and power to keep it illegal ... hmmm ... let's see ... i do have some friends in the goverment , i know a couple of guys .... it shouldn't be that hard to keep it illegal "

the truth is that unless a domino effect takes place , i don't know if weed is going to be legal in EU in the next 20 years for the folowing reasons :
    1. some important people would have to admit that they were wrong
    2. what about those that went to jail for having a few g's on them ? how would the gov. say "yeah , we know we fucked up 10-20 years of your life because of our stupidity but we're sorry >:D< it's legal now " ?
    3. untill weed gets more people friendly ( especialy with older people ) no politician is going to risk his career suporting weed if it will make him lose votes .
    4. again , weed isn't for everyone , and untill the post-legalization consumers get that into they're heads i think the cannabis community will have to endure alot of bad rep because of some jackasses.
    5. people that don't smoke , or don't share our passion for it but are pro on the cannabis subject start to get bored on the " weed topic " and thus we're losing votes because of this.
    6. i think that the authorities are starting to change the way they fight the war on weed. imho they are adopting the " if you can't beat them join them " tactic but that's not good for us.donno how weed is presented on the tv in the US but here usualy potheads that get on the glass are , well ... how should i put this ... , dumb => nonsmokers and those that smoke but have no ideea about the real effects of consuming cannabis are going to start to think that even if weed is legal , it's not a good idea to smoke it => consumers will still have a bad rep for doing it.
    but i think that if we do manage to legalize it , i , personaly , would be proud of our race ( humans ) for making the right choice and being able to admit we made a mistake.

4. Tbh uk can't really just say 'hey we were wrong cannabis is good' after being agaisnt it for so long.
    As we don't have states we can't let certain parts of the country be medically legal and others not.
    It's my hope that N.Ireland, Wales or Scotland make it legal as a test run, and also I want to move to scotland.

5. #5 tHe LoNLy StOnR, Apr 26, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 26, 2011
    This is going to be fun. [Gives mischevious smile and rubs hands together as eyes sparkle in the blinding light we call sunshine, something you might not know about.]

Lol

So your acknowledging that cannabis is a driving force in the rise in terror?

[In best Phineas voice with a hint of sarcasm. From Disney's Phineas and Ferb]Yes, yes they are.
    [In best Borat voice] NHAAT!!!

1) Duh!
    2) Are you sure you're not just projecting your internal conflict onto the world? From where I'm sitting the world is my oyster, it's amazing.
    3) [In best Saito voice, that asian dude from Inception] Is that a question are do we actually sleep? Do you actually think the masses could run the world? Are you capable of running the government or at least around the block not even talking about your life? If you think so why not start a revolution but first get educated, I'm not just talking academically but about cannabis' effects on brain chemistry and structure. Anyway I don't see you giving a single example of how the government can improve the running of the world, you just want to grow your own cannabis, [In most patronising voice possible] you druggie you. [Points index finger and shakes ... Penis, lol] Get a job, a better paying one or at least get some of the royalties from that show I like to watch, you know the one about you. Just kidding, you got no proof biatch, we keep trying to tell you, get with the program, watch and listen ... CLOSELY!!! That's some food for thought.

It was all in the name of fun. Don't take it too seriously, I'm just in troll mode.

6. Ron Paul.

7. I do like Ron Paul.

8. There are many people funding all kinds of activities by selling drugs. I'm sure some of it leads to terror.

This is not the issue of course. Cannabis is all about having the freedom to choose what is right for oneself. I don't need to know its pharmacological effects, whether it's safe or not, or even possible long term damage, to make such a choice, although all information is welcome of course. All that matters is that I am free to do something I prefer to, as long as I don't deliberately impact on someone else's freedom in the process.

No group of elected people has the right to tell me what to do in this matter. I have a right to alter my consciousness if it suits me. Alcohol is far more dangerous, and that always negates any argument on medical grounds anyway.

Nice trolling. :)