Legal status in Vancouver, Canada

Discussion in 'Marijuana Legalization' started by Curious_Canadian, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Can anyone explain the legal status of marijuana in Vancouver, Canada?

If I am smoking a joint outside my apartment building, can I policeman or policewoman ask me to produce proof that I am legally allowed to possess marijuana?

If I do not wish to lie in order to receive a medical card for marijuana, do I have any legal protection?

Does anyone have a figure on how many marijuana related arrests are made in the city each year?

2. Its still illegal but not enforced, don't make a big scene about it and don't blow smoke rings at the cops and you'll probably be okay.

3. #3 Senseimillan, Mar 24, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
    I'll do my best to keep it understandable.

Can anyone explain the legal status of marijuana in Vancouver, Canada?
    The Vancouver Police Dept. has issued statements that they will not raid dispensaries that are licensed by the city.

The City of Vancouver has allowed for dispensaries to pay $30,000 per year for a special business license to sell Cannabis. They must be 300 meters from schools, community centres, and each other. These dispensaries purchase their product from local (black market) growers who they have relationships with.

However, Cannabis is still illegal in Canada, including Vancouver, and BC, and supposed to be being legalized and regulated.

But the truth is:
    "There’s nothing in the federal Liberal budget about cannabis legalization, which is a little surprising since Trudeau campaigned on legalization and the whole world knows it. Legal weed is supposed to be a cash-cow for governments, the mantra has always been "legalize, tax and regulate it.” Of course this isn’t surprising for any of us who have been paying attention. Justin Trudeau appointed former Toronto police chief Bill Blair to head legalization, signifying that cannabis legalization in Canada would be decided by the same people who had enforced prohibition for all these years. But cops shouldn’t be in charge of legalization, they should be facing criminal charges, especially now, as they continue to bust people for a harmless plant." - See more at: https://pressfortruth.ca/top-stories/canadas-first-drug-czar/#sthash.zxEmk89B.dpuf

If I am smoking a joint outside my apartment building, can a policeman or policewoman ask me to produce proof that I am legally allowed to possess marijuana?
    Yes they can.

If I do not wish to lie in order to receive a medical card for marijuana, do I have any legal protection?
    You don't have to lie. All you need is your medical records proving you've suffered from an ailment that cannabis can help alleviate within the last 12 months. You may be stretching the truth, but it's not lying. :) To be totally 100% legal in Vancouver, or anywhere in Canada, just need to see a doctor and get a legitimate prescription. There is a place downtown that will get you setup with everything, including the federal license, and fast-track hookup and approval from the mail-order licensed producers for $315. This is the ideal route to take, as the courts have decided that it is unconstitutional for a patient to not be allowed to grow their own cannabis. So in six months to a year we should see the ability for patients to grow their own return.

Does anyone have a figure on how many marijuana related arrests are made in the city each year?
    According to VPD statistics obtained via a freedom of information request, during the first six months of 2015, the force recorded 473 cannabis offences. For the whole of 2014, that number was 991, down from 1,057 in 2013.

It appears that enforcement is on the decline, at least in Vancouver.

4. Damn does anyone know 420 friendly doctors in Edmonton? I know about the Skype doctors but I would rather do it in person I try Google but all outdated