Legal questions...

Discussion in 'General' started by longhorn, Jul 20, 2008.

1. So I stopped by at my friends house for maybe 10 minutes. While I'm inside we look out the window and see a police car parked in front of mine and cops walking towards my car. And it just so happens that I parked on the wrong side of the road and apparantly my friends house is a "no-tolerance zone" because the police think there is drug trafficking going on but they cant ever catch anybody doing anything. So long story short I get a ticket, even though there were 4 or 5 cars on the street parked the wrong way including an off duty metro police car and none of them got a ticket. For real this is some bullshit but I don't know if there is anything I can do about it.

Any advice about what to say to the judge or prosecutor or whatever. BTW I've never been in any trouble with the law before no tickets or anything, if that counts for anything.

I dunno how they can make the outside of someones house a place where law enforcement is more strict than the houses 2-3 doors down.

fuck the police......

2. That's a legitimate violation, I don't think there's anything you can do about it.

Is there any reason they would single out your vehicle amongst the others?

3. duuuuude, you should have gotten pictures of all the other cars, and their license plates.
    then if you go to court, show them the shit, and see how noone else got tickets.
    but that might just piss the cops off more.
    but idk :smoking:

4. I understand the malcontent from being singled out, but that argument holds no ground in court. Breaking the law is breaking the law, showing that others also broke the law does not prove your innocence.

It is a common argument, "Why did I get in trouble when everyone else was doing the same thing?" A likely answer is the police don't have enough time or manpower to ticket/arrest everyone. They cannot possibly enforce every law at all places at all times, they are not omnipresent. The best they can do is give out a ticket here or there so people realize that it could happen to them if it happened to someone else.

I'm sure the officers could have written a ticket for each car out there, but there are more important things to do with their time. Unfortunately you won the lottery for getting a ticket that night, try not to take it personally, it will happen to most people at some point.

5. Only thing that would be a sure-fire way out would be to have video taped the instance.