Food and Drug Administration (FDA) Disclosure:

The statements in this forum have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration and are generated by non-professional writers. Any products described are not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.

Website Disclosure:

This forum contains general information about diet, health and nutrition. The information is not advice and is not a substitute for advice from a healthcare professional.

Legal Question

Discussion in 'Marijuana Consumption Q&A' started by Rileyyyyyyyyyyy, Jul 2, 2012.

1. #1 Rileyyyyyyyyyyy, Jul 2, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 2, 2012
    So I just had a great end to my night.

I was chilling at my friend's house and right after smoking a bowl we left to pick up some of our friends from a party. We didn't bring and weed in the car but it reeked of weed from him hotboxing it earlier. We were waiting outside the house and then some cops come out of no where and tell us to roll down the windows. He smells the weed and tells us to get out so he can search the car.
    I get out and he searches me and my friend then looks through the car for like 15 minutes as we sat on the curb and another cop looked at our eyes and wrote down our information and stuff. He came back and said he could take ME in for the shake on the driver's side seat but finally those fuckers let us go. I walked back to the car and looked at the seat and there were literally 2 tiny ass leaves. The cops were dicks but I'm so glad we didn't have anything other than 2 pot leaves.

So here are my questions to any people who are kind enough to have read this far =D

I know we could have said he couldn't search the car, but since we didn't bring any weed with us we figured that was better than him wasting our time and possibly getting a warrant since it smelled so much. What should we have done/what did we have the right to do since we knew (or at least we thought) there was absolutely nothing in the car but it still smelled really bad?

He got my number and address when questioning us/looking at my id. Is there any chance of me or my parents (I'm 19 and home for the summer) getting contacted by the police for this or am I completely in the clear now?

Thanks for the help :smoke:

Edit:Thanks for the responses so far they have been very helpful!
    and I live in Georgia if that matters

2. #2 01Bullitt, Jul 2, 2012
    The best response I've heard for politely saying no is "yes, with warrant."

They can give you a possession charge with any amount at all, it might have just been a pain in the ass to prove it was weed from those two tiny leaves without some kind of tests (what if it was just grass? Imagine the shit he'd get for bringing in two tiny specs and them turnout out not to be weed haha) and/or he didn't feel like being a super dick. If the car smells and there is actually NOTHING in it, you should probably let him search it to prevent anything further. After searching your car and finding nothing, they're more likely to just let you off and not continue to hassle you.

I've kind of always wanted this to happen to me. Being super baked, the cops thinking you're a criminal with a pound of weed in the car... and finding nothing. Then as they walk away saying "have a nice day, officer" continuing on my merry way high as fuck and having him know it. One of my friends has been pulled over twice, one time he had just finished a blunt and the other time he had to throw it out the window. They searched his car and didn't find anything and had to let him go.. the first time he jammed his stash in the little vent when he was slowing down and they didn't even find that.

If he didn't call your parents or anything by now you're in the clear. Unless it was super late at night tonight or something than maybe he'd wait until the morning to call. But I'll give it a 99% chance of that NOT happening. And there's no way in hell he'd show up at your house, so you're in the clear buddy. Toke on!

On a side note - when they have you outside of the car and question the fuck out of you.. "have you ever tried drugs/marijuana" "not even once?' "oh, c'mon, i can smell it, not even once" "I already know, it's okay to admit it" "I know there was marijuana in this vehicle at some point or another"... NEVER believe that fucking bullshit. NEVER. Just keep you mouth shut. If he doesn't find anything, then you'll get off and you'll be find and dandy. If he does find something and you have to go to court, that's even more evidence you gave against yourself, don't make your case worse. Just stay quiet and politely say "I'd rather not answer" or just shrug your shoulders or something it doesn't matter, just don't say yes, EVER.. you are NOT obliged in ANY way to help them with their search.. don't so do by accidentally giving away a self conviction.

3. Ok first I am assuming u live in the US some where. When u get your drivers license I sign the paper. And on that paper in all the small print it says some on the lines that to be able to legally drive a car in that state of stopped a officer has the right to search your car if he had enough reasonable suspicion. It kinda like u get pulled over and smell like booze. What is the cop going to do go get a warrant to do a field sobriety test and search your car for alcohol. It smelt like
    Weed in the car so if u were the cop u would not assume the driver was high. You can still get charged with DUI for being stoned.
    And as for testing the leave. That shit takes like 20 sec. They have a test kit. Drop the leaf in it. If there is thc it turns what ever color. If u don't live in a weed friendly state I would say u were lucky the cops didn't do more. And getting a hold of your parents. Your over 18 it has nothing to do with them now.

4. Yes reasonable suspiction, if they can see or smell anything then they don't need a warrant. As well as if anyone is in immediate danger. You never have to admit anything though, never do. No matter how bad it smells and if they 100% know. DUI's for being high are pretty arbitrary, there's no test for it. Unless you get arrested and they pull some blood, but just control yourself and don't be a dick to them and you should be fine. They won't arrest someone for smelling like weed.

Damn, I didn't know they carried a little tester kit thing in their car. I'll have to research that shit

5. If your car reeked they had every right to search your car and in the future if at all possible always REFUSE searches, you never know when one of your high friends could have fucked up and left a baggie in the backseat of your car without your knowing and then you would have been super fucked so keep that in mind. And you should be in the clear but your car might be burnt so expect to get pulled over again sometime soon and expect them to press the "Can we search your Car?" card cause trust me cops communicate with one another and this can really fuck you over. And what do you mean leaves like how big?

6. [quote name='"01Bullitt"']Yes reasonable suspiction, if they can see or smell anything then they don't need a warrant. As well as if anyone is in immediate danger. You never have to admit anything though, never do. No matter how bad it smells and if they 100% know. DUI's for being high are pretty arbitrary, there's no test for it. Unless you get arrested and they pull some blood, but just control yourself and don't be a dick to them and you should be fine. They won't arrest someone for smelling like weed.

Damn, I didn't know they carried a little tester kit thing in their car. I'll have to research that shit[/quote]

Maybe not in Canada but down here I the US u can get a DUI for being high. My boy did. Smelt like weed. Shake on the center console and a half burnt blunt in the ash tray they are not going to know your high. Come man.

7. #7 01Bullitt, Jul 2, 2012
    That's true. One of your friends could have brought some with them without saying and when they saw the cherries and berries come on they threw that shit under a seat. And when the cop is searching and finds it in YOUR car he won't care who's it is.. you (or potentially everyone in the car really) will get the ticket.

Well yes, because they actually found shake and half a burnt blunt. Completely different situation for the OP. A smelly car and two to-be-determined size crumbs doesn't mean you're high at the moment. A half burnt blunt and enough bud to smoke might imply so though.

8. [quote name='"01Bullitt"']That's true. One of your friends could have brought some with them without saying and when they saw the cherries and berries come on they threw that shit under a seat. And when the cop is searching and finds it in YOUR car he won't care who's it is.. you (or potentially everyone in the car really) will get the ticket.

Well yes, because they actually found shake and half a burnt blunt. Completely different situation for the OP. A smelly car and two to-be-determined size crumbs doesn't mean you're high at the moment. A half burnt blunt and enough bud to smoke might imply so though.[/quote]

I know i was using to show cam get DUI for being high.

9. I mean like 2 little tiny leaves off a nug. Shit probably weighed like .01 grams or something