Legal Garage cunstruction room built 10x10x8 suggestions recommendation pics

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by gus738, May 26, 2010.

1. #1 gus738, May 26, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2010
    hey guys i have a double car garage that i will be building into a room, will focus for strictly for my medical grow.

materials

HELP
    needs to be odor free and as least as possible of sounds/noise.

Goal

i would like to get 8oz of dried bud when all is said and done, so half a pound to a pound that should equal about an 8th a day.

i want to split a veg / flower room

it looks like i will be using at least 10x10x8.

out of the garage the veg will be like 4x8x8 (hoping) and flower 7x8x8 should the veg or flower be smaller/bigger?

EQUIPMENT LIST

aerojet 4 tray aeroponics system. (probably will need 2 so i have have veg/flower at same time)
    magnum xxl 6"

galaxy electronic ballast (depends on amount of reflector i get)

more stuff needed, will update again.

SO AS YOU GUYS CAN SEE IT WILL BE DEDICATED PROPERLY DONE, WHICH IS WHY I ASK HELP :D

Attached Files:

2. A LITTLE ABOUT ME

i currently try to work at a food grocery store with union, i'm sick of something doc diagnosed me with h pylori but i feel as something else is out there and doc simply coudnt help me cuz my health coverage was over due to the fact i couldnt work lost hrs etc... i was sick since oct 09 and around jan-feb my coverage was done

since jan i have not been in care and i have lost 25 pounds in less then half a yr with NO exercise and eating the same. on jan i weight 145. now its 125.

so this grow is going to be my the majority of my time. so therefore i want to do it right no cutting corners.

3. Only use one door on the outside it looks less suspicious 2nd off your veg room does not need to be very big and I would suggest putting the first door on the veg room side because its light cycles are longer :) im thinking of posting my constructions.

4. #4 Bohbo, May 27, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 27, 2010
    1) Use insulation in the new walls.
    2) Reduce size of veg room and increase flowering room if you can.

I am all about helping honest, legit, humble, legal growers. Sorry I had surgery this morning and not feeling prime but I wanted to drop you a line and let you know I would be glad to help. Did you already purchase hoods? What kind of lights are you thinking wattage wise? I would suggest 4 hoods in flower 2 in veg really. Veg should be roughly 1/4 the wattage of flowering room about about 1/3 the sqft. Give or take, I can measure my veg area vs flower if you like to give you an idea. I posted a good bit of pics on white widow mans thread about 3-4 weeks ago i think.

I have a galaxy and I am happy with it. I might rethink the XXL and look at the Super Sun 2, should be cheaper but a lot easier to work with. I almost bought the Magnum 6" XXL or XXXL whatever it is but went with the SS2 and very happy I did.

You could veg under 250-600W Range and Flower under 1200-1800 (2-3 600W) Hope that helps.

EDIT: Check the links in my sig

And you should have zero problem pulling 8oz off 1000W. Even 800W should be too bad after a few grows. 1st Grow don't try and push yield too far just try and get through it without pests, and disease. If you can do that under say 1000W with decent temps you could pull 6-12 oz your first grow.

5. Use Hight output T5's for Veg a 24watt 4' bulb can veg quite a few plants and keeps power down and heat down.

6. Dude that totally sucks. I can't help you for shit with large size grows but there are some really great people here who can help you out man...

I hope the medicine helps you put the weight back on and help you feel better too...

Carnival- I'm gonna +REP you tomorrow when I get my rep back cuz you said you'd help with the construction plans...

Bohbo- you're the man. I skimmed your fan tutorial the other day, and I totally need to read and heed some of those tips... I'm gonna +REP you cuz I respect your work, and people on the GC who are here to help cheerfully and nonjudgementally on the GC. It's the reason I left the other troll-hole I used to post in a couple years back, and came here in the first place... Anyway- you're the shit man- no complaints here... Hope your surgery went well...

CHEERS GC! you've restored my faith in bothering to post here after striking out and getting trolled on a bit on my last couple of threads I tried to start...

-weasel

7. Oh yea and make the door open outwards and make it so the door hindges can't be removed. I dropped solder in it so it cant be removed. Redraw your plans and I will give you more advice. Make your tables were plants are going to be present slightly slanted twards a corner with a drain hole so you can reuse runoff or tube all the run off 2 one spot. I want to post my pics but im paranoid about it.

8. Hey thanks guys for replying. UPDATE I Can work with 13x14x8

so carnival one door on the outside of the whole big multiple rooms? i was thinking of doing separate closet or rooms.

i would so appreciate your pics of constructions

bohbo

what ideal size of veg/flower would you do? i prefer multiple rooms as i can lock them up and light is covered better , easier to built separate rooms

what kind of insulation should i use ? r19 or higher number?

also i want sound damping?/insulation like this Quietzone® Volume Control for the Home™

i have not bought any hoods yet or anything for the matter but my local hydro store willing to go atleast 20% off msrp or price match or beat any ledgit company even internet.

wattage wise, i want say for veg is 2 600 watts ( one mh and one hps) for veg, and 3+ for flower, 2 hps 1 mh or just use 1 mh for first 2 weeks/ or last 2 weeks. how many hps for flower?

point is i want to give optimal lighting optimal lumes/ 100 watts per plant? or sqf?
    starting at 600 watts or maybe get all 1k's ...

provided the conditions were the same what results would i get with the 600 watters instead of the 1k's?

and yes i would appreciate if you can measure.

why should i re consider the magnum xxl 6" ? you like the super sun 2 because its less expensive and/or because its easier to clean?

carnival i believe i will use t5/t8 as supplemental side lighting but i want to grow on mh for best or ideal main lighting.

cflweasel can you share any knowledge you know? and yeah hopefully more people can chime in:hello:

carnival what do i do tables for? i will be getting a aeroponics system 4 tray each holds 4" or 5"

what would be a better design plan with a 13x14x8

9. what ideal size of veg/flower would you do? i prefer multiple rooms as i can lock them up and light is covered better , easier to built separate rooms
    I have separate rooms, wish I gave myself a little more room in flower (where the real magic happens afterall)

what kind of insulation should i use ? r19 or higher number?
    I didn't use insulation in mine and regret it.

also i want sound damping?/insulation like this Quietzone® Volume Control for the Home™

wattage wise, i want say for veg is 2 600 watts ( one mh and one hps) for veg, and 3+ for flower, 2 hps 1 mh or just use 1 mh for first 2 weeks/ or last 2 weeks. how many hps for flower?
    Not worth switching in and out so much, I thought the same thing too. Just go 1-2 MH Lamps for Veg, and 2-3x that (HPS) for flower 3x 600 > 2x 1000 even though its 200W less you get better coverage with 3 angles and closer lamps. You could do 4 x 600 HPS for Flowering 2 x 400 MH for veg.

point is i want to give optimal lighting optimal lumes/ 100 watts per plant? or sqf?

1 Plant / Sq Ft 75-100W per SQ Ft or 75-100W per plant.

starting at 600 watts or maybe get all 1k's ...

provided the conditions were the same what results would i get with the 600 watters instead of the 1k's?
    See above

and yes i would appreciate if you can measure.
    I will try and get measurements for you.

why should i re consider the magnum xxl 6" ? you like the super sun 2 because its less expensive and/or because its easier to clean?

I read a big review of air cooled hoods on another forum. Guy tested coverage, spread, hot spots etc. SS2 came out on top i think 1 MAYBE was better. The small size is a major plus too and it throws light really nice. Just because its smaller doesn't mean its less coverage or light. I like it a lot and I am very glad I didn't go the magnum route, but thats just me, get what you want.

carnival i believe i will use t5/t8 as supplemental side lighting but i want to grow on mh for best or ideal main lighting.

You won't need it.

10. see thats what i mean i want to avoid that as much i can, so which brings me to the question what is ideal size and amount of plants for which ever size you can think of room, lets think that i will be running a aero jet 4 tray so maybe certain size of room is best so that minimal light is wasted more useable space/better useage out of it?

you regret not getting insulation or you do not regret you skip on insulation?

so you dont think switching between mh and hps is worth it?, what about having both mh & hps side by side in veg?

so you think its better to have more units of lower wattage to have even coverage instead of having a bigger wattage and less units?

how would you compare the penetration you get from a single 1000w vs multiple 400w?

of course more lights means better provided that all ends are meet but what about quality/potency does it matter on higher wattage vs lower?

reason why i ask is because as many know the further away the bulb the the more loss and less etc

but

what about other ways to compensate? example say instead of getting a couple of 250/400 at close range to plants at which is fine but as they grow it wont penetrate so instead would it be best to have 1k at a further distance?

i think it would still make up the loss of close distance with the high lumes and intensity?

man i feel like my head going to spin typing alot hang with me.

the 100 watt per plant then that how people base? the other way is amount of plants divde by the sqf of the room?

here a pdf what you guys think of now. total different ideal

That's funny we both read the same review, the super sun 2 or something along those lines like you said was a great guy but i think (not sure) the number 1 was the magnum? do you have that link i've been looking for it recently.

Attached Files:

11. I don't have the link. I regret not putting insulation in. And I think you have all viable options. Try and imagine yourself and plants in the room. Get some buckets and cardboard boxed and lay stuff out on floor. Basically try and mock up what it will be like and functionally how things will be layed out. No matter what you do you will make changes as you go. Go with what feels right its not like you are stuck forever.

More lights = more stuff to lower and raise, less room for your head when working on plants, better coverage.

You could look at 2x Magnum with a light mover as well. Like i said lots of options and yours are viable go with what feels right and adjust accordingly.

12. ok cool thanks and what you think of that pdf plan ? what meters do you guy suggest? accuracy , least complicated reliable? what about carbon in line can fans or something?

yes this means expensive oh well. more input on the hardware would be awesome, and how far apart should plants be ? im thinking of 3.75 between then and each have aleast 4" hole or 5"

13. I built my setup, PDF light thing is correct... but basically get them as close as you can without burning them, Shit i will even bleach them a little if they don't burn. Light light light and more light is what they like. I just posted a pic on my journal closest light is a 400W farther one is a 600W I moved the lights up after some stretch got them touching the light and burned them. But 3-4 inches away is fine. Your yield and best bud will come from the top of the plants anyhow so deep deep penetration isn't THAT important. You should be fine.

You have done your homework and are trying to hash it out, I'm not sure what else I can say. I know it can be a little stressful trying to get it going and trying to spend your money wisely. Best advice I can give you. Start out with the minimum you need then work up as you get a feel for what works and what doesn't I have a light meter thats a nice one... honestly its not that important you won't be checking lumens after a while you will care more about other things and learn to just get them as close as you can without bleaching or burning.

14. Yes only have one door on the outside! You only meed a 2x4x8 are to veg vith the proper light giving your ladies alil more stretch room! I have a8x8x8 room that i built and all i an say in insulate it very well for temp, sound and for music cause nothing helps those girls like so good tunes!:smoking:

15. Take a look at Bud Nukem. He converted a garage into a grow op with good success.... He got a few journals. One is in grow room set up and one in advanced growing......

16. You don't need to be anywhere near that size. Read Rumple's grow journals. He's pulling 10+oz's from a 3x3 with a 400. Get 600W HPS 3.5 x 3.5 flower room and I'd just make the veg room the same size because it's easier to have them side by side the same size.

If you go smaller your garage can remain functional.

17. #17 GrapeStreet, May 31, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: May 31, 2010
    I've got an idea for construction.

Instead of drywall walls, at least right away, you can go with insulation foam panels. They already have one side reflective, already measure 8' (x4' each) so they fit nicely.

Duct tape the exposed foam edges to prevent humidity. If you're in a humid area, you may consider covering the entire board with plastic.

Use a 2x2 anchored to the ceiling to create ledges where you want the walls. Then you can attach the foam board to the wood to create a wall.

Edging can be completed using strips of trash bags or painters plastic and duct tape or staple gun.

While this is not the fanciest or most expensive or expansive method, it has some key advantages:

- Lightweight
    - Inexpensive
    - Insulated
    - Reflective

It also gives you the benefit of easily changing the rooms size as you see fit. This is probably the best part. I've built with this method, and already i've made multiple major changes to accommodate advancements and expansion. It takes 5 minutes to move a wall with this method, so as you balance your space and light, you can change your layout to match. Once you've got it down to a science, you can solidify the walls with supports and drywall.

And in the case you need to make a room disappear quickly (as it can come to happen, even for med-grows), you can bang-bang with your arms and down come the walls.

It doesnt have to be permanent, but it lets you play "lego growroom" until you know what you like/need.

[​IMG]
    Here's one of my walls.

18. for sound damping use that house styrofoam insilation sheeting to help keep noises down, & can also be use to make walls, partitions.