Left lights on, HELP

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by IceCreamNewb, Apr 19, 2011.

1. So my girls have been in 12/12 for almost 2 weeks in a closet with a 400w hps and 2 flouro tubes between them for more light at bottoms.... I accidentally left the regular overhead closet light on all night and didn't notice until 6am.... the mains come on at 8:30... is this gonna herm them or should they be ok?????? My first grow and they were lookin RIGHT before this... I hope they're ok.... thanks in advance

2. if this is the first and last time, i wouldnt worry to much about it.

3. Man I hope not, everything else is on a timer. I would love to post a pic but worries ... bein a little 'noid is ok though right haha

4. if you ever doubt yourself, just unscrew the bulb, and only use the light that is given off by your HPS, and once it's off, dont go in there...

5. itll be fine especially if they never got complete darkness. having their dark period interrupted or shortened (made less than 12 hours) is what makes them herm.

i'd adjust your schedule to not let the lights back on until 12 hours after you turned them off, that way there's no chance of them getting confused.

6. your not gonna turn herm bro lol

7. get a timer!!! cuz you will probably have some herms now, leaving them on for ten mins a couples time you might get away with but all night you just sent the message to reveg to them and now there gonna be stressed as fuck and grow some balls to bust a nut all over your flowers

8. I've got a timer, it was the closet light (regular light on the ceiling) that got left on, the hps and tubes are on the timer. The light wasn't interrupted and I just let them go about their regular schedule .. no changes.

Attached Files:

9. Up close the pics get nice but from far away they show the hps color... they look a little stretchy, I think I had my mh too high during veg but its my first and I didn't wanna burn them... im thinking about going cfl for veg on my next one anyway, less heat and the nodes are closer but again not sure if I just had my bulb too high... oh well, first real grow im still learning. The fact they haven't died and no deficiencies im happy

10. oh you might be ok if it was just your room light but dont be surprised if it does have some stress effect. get a green bulb or just put something green over your bulb a green spectrum has no effect on green plants.

11. #11 IceCreamNewb, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Yeah I've got an old flash light from my days in the navy with the lens covers that I use, this was a fluke thing.. but since it was only once and the majority seem to think it'll be ok im not gonna sweat it and just keep my eye out for sacs just in case... thanks guys

12. not an option, just putting something green over the bulb wont change the Spectrum, hell if it was that easy i'd just put Red Suran wrap over my MH instead of buying a whole new HPS for flowering.

you have to buy a Green spectrum Bulb, look around at home depot and Lowes.

13. ya and even if it does herm just keep trimming the sacks before the burst and you will still get some good quality bud

14. #14 stoppedat420, Apr 19, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 19, 2011

oh thought that might work guess not then get the green bulb lol
    i guess it does work somewhat just looked it up green cellophane would change the spectrum but not completly it would let some through though. it would be better then nothing if you dont have a green bulb but not 100% effecient

15. Can't believe this is two pages already, thank for the input. Im only two weeks into flowering so there's still a little ways to go. Im debating on whether to cut out the pop corn at the bottom or bend stuff back to give them more light, im definitely not trimming though.... s/n: im improving my cloning skills!! Find rockwool does better than soil (for me)

16. cut them it will send all the nutrients from those branches into making bigger buds on the remaining branches just dont do too much or you will stress her more and more chance of her being a hermie. i would wait a week to cut though so you know for sure the lights didnt stress her too much

17. at 2 weeks, dont trim the popcorn buds, they'll grow out, just give em time, haha, you can always use them as hash or something.