Led Zeppelin is and always will be the best Rock band in the world

Discussion in 'Music genres, Bands and Artists' started by Burnsey, May 24, 2010.

1. no. this is untrue and wrong.

2. Remember, all these statements are just opinions. There is not fact in who is better or not.

3. Yeah, the exploitation of electro-funk by Dr. Dre is so shameless. I think Dr. Dre is talentless and his new headphones are a complete sham. However, NWA is halfway decent.

Jimmy Page is f**in amazing, anyone ever come across White Summer/Black Mountain Side? so beautiful. Some of the album versions are kind of quiet, but he plays it on Live @ Royal Albert Hall 1970, and that's quite loud and nice and so beautiful. Bron Yr Aur is also a nice little number.

The band had such camaraderie, and it's pretty much one of the best bands of all time considering the individual musical elements and talents, and how they came together so coherently. I mean, every guy is tops, the vocalist, the guitarist, the drummer, and even John Paul Jones was a pretty good bassist, if a rather simple one. The bass parts are just really appropriate, I think on the said live recording, Royal Albert Hall, you can hear his bass parts come out.

Led Zeppelin has had a lot of range in the nature of their content, too, from bluesy and rock & roll in the beginning, to more spiritual towards the end of their career. Their whole vibe and raison d'etre was original. It doesn't matter if you borrow styles, etc. A lot of bands and musicians today just feel fake and don't bring utility and versatility to the landscape of real life. Ah, I love to blast Led Zeppelin in my many journeys into the countryside and the forest and the towns of W i s c o n s i n.

I agree. I despise the Rolling Stones, and I think Pink Floyd has some good work to be appreciated for emotional reasons, but I think Pink Floyd is the ultimate overrated "stoner" band. I don't listen to them stoned at all. As for Led Zeppelin, in fact, being stoned has made me greatly appreciate their music more, from the heartfelt blues to the spiritual throngs of epic chants, etc., to Jimmy Page's solo guitar work. SWIM at one point loved to smoke hash while listening to White Summer, aha. The whole arrangements, the bass and the guitar and the drums, just give a depth and filling, satisfying feeling, that a good indica makes one appreciate :hello:
    Emotionally and musically rich and deep, yes, although I can't claim Led Zeppelin is truly a psychedelic band, full throng, but I don't think a lot of musicians have succeeded in that realm AT ALL, including many bands which claim themselves as such, be it, progressive rock bands, or hippie bands or whatever. I think Aoxomoxoa (the Grateful Dead) Rubber Soul, Magical Mystery Tour (The Beatles) (the psychedelic and drug-topical-related work of The Beatles/Indian meditation chant-spiritual related work of the Beatles) have that quality.

I agree with some contentions that Jimmy Page was the MIP, he was, for both the original existence of the band, some of its studio work and even spiritual leadership, guiding their grooves. However, one cannot understate the sheer musicianship of the other three. John Bonham was a drummer with a repertoire on par with other, subsequent great drummers of modern rock (80s/90s), like Chad Smith of the Red Hot Chili Peppers or Stephen Perkins of Jane's Addiction. Quite like those two modern rock, Led Zep-influenced bands, Led Zeppelin had a full cast of great musicians. (You know, Flea was a great bassist, John Frusciante/Hillel were good guitarists, as was Dave Navarro, as was Eric Avery a good bassist, etc., and Anthony Kiedis and Perry Farrell were rather visionary/charismatic personalities)

Also, you can't compare RHCP to Led Zeppelin. Huge generational gap. Would their be an RHCP without Led Zeppelin?
    RHCP doesn't make music you can rock with into the great nature and countryside, or timeless blues rock anthems

4. As a jazz fan I will say this...Led Zeppelin pretty much ripped off black blues and jazz muscians like pretty obviously it's not even subtle it's blatant rip offs...especially you're precious Jimmy Page....guy totally rips off the guitar styles of Freddie King, BB King, and other class jazz, blues guitarists.

RHCP too me is the shit, and i'd listen to them over zeppelin anyday (I honestly don;'t see what makes them so awesome but to each his own, I don't see what's so special about the beatles either.)but it's flea and I'm a bassist that's kind of a no brainer. I can't say who the greatest band is, but I can't even pick a favorite band. I will say I like Black Sabbath more the Zeppelin...

5. Dude you must not play bass. John Paul Jones has blues-based lines which are usually fairly simple to play, but it was his groove that made him great. I find there are very very few good covers of Zeppelin songs because while lots of people can play the notes, barely anyone can get the feel down.

Also before calling Jones a simple bassist, you should realize that he was a very accomplished studio musician before Zep, he played all of the keyboard and mandolin parts on Zeps albums and live, and Page turned down John Entwistle of The Who to have him.

Oh yeah, and he wrote the riff to Black Dog.

I Just hate it when he doesn't get the credit he deserves. He wasn't just the bassist, he was a great musician handpicked for the band who contributed a lot to their music.

@ Funk-D, IMO JPJ>Flea, Flea is too slap-happy and I hate his tone.

6. first off, i absolutely hate any floyd/zepp comparison. completely different music.

but zepp I/IV, not their best albums. try houses of the holy, presence, or physical graffiti.

and echoes, while lyrically thought provoking, is so fucking slow and long.

disagree with that, plant made zepp.

and i took it away from you for that comparison.

7. JPJ's stuff is so easy I get bored playing it...groove my ass there is no groove just a time signature that any bassist that has been playing for six months can pull off.

I don't like Flea's heavy slap stuff...it's his softer melodic bass lines that I enjoy...along with his insane unpredictable note patterns. JPJ is straight up from the book blues pentatonic scale...and that's it.

8. They set the standard.

9. Naw that was Chuck Berry.

10. zeppelin is OKAY. i prefer blue cheer, sabbath, hawkwind, and tons of other bands from that era. not to mentioned, they amongst many other old rock bands stole a bunch of blues songs/ reworked them(sometimes left them the same) and tried to take credit. not so great.

11. *cough John Bonham cough*

[​IMG]

12. More respectable then Page?

Hell no, brother!
    :smoke:

13. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h4YpOclKmLs]YouTube - Led Zeppelin- Moby Dick (STUDIO VERSION)[/ame]

and i disagree with floydian, i think plant took zeppelin the extra distance.

14. I can't really argue that he did MORE than Jimmy Page as far as Led Zeppelin goes, but his part goes infinitely under rated.

Page's riffs can keep a song going for a limited amount of time (no disrespect) but Bonzo was pretty much the gas that kept the engine going.

He may not be the writer of as many original songs, or came up with as many ideas, but there's a very good reason Zeppelin stopped for the most part when he died. They lost a friend but the also lost the backbone of the band. At least in my opinion, John Bonham was the enabler. If it wasn't for him, the rest of Zeppelin would have had a very hard time doing what they did.

All just my opinion of course. Disagreements will happen, but if they didn't, there would be no fun in this discussion.

15. zep stole music.

but i still love em.

16. im shocked at the people hating on zeppelin. :mad:

i listen to them all the fuckin time and i love it. go listen to pink floyd you commies!

17. [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vScDckA4_UI]YouTube - Led Zeppelin- Down By The Seaside (STUDIO VERSION)[/ame]

smoke ta dis

18. Floyd has their moments, but I'm only a light fan... Dark Side Of The Moon, The Wall...you know the typical shit. Some of their shit is just too out there for me...I made the mistake of downloading their entire discography once...it was quickly cleaned.

19. dude yea, i really like pink floyd but led zeppelin is on another level.

20. I know even some Zep fans hate on him, but he is God:

[​IMG]