Led watts being used is way lower then it should be?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by LieingCake, Oct 14, 2013.

1. #1 LieingCake, Oct 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 14, 2013
    So I'm building a grow box with some cheap led blubs I got. They are a mixter of 9-15 watt bulbs (8 total) that should be around 83-108 watts (2x9watt, 5x ether 10 or 15 watt (blue red) can't remenber, and a 15w red/white/green/blue/something else bulb) but when I hooked up a kill-a-watt monitor it says they are only useing 28watts.

*The monitor is fine I aslo have 2x60watt grown lights when I turn them on it adds 60~ per blub.

Everthing I've read says I need atlest 90-150 led watts I know I've got to add more but do I go by the watts being used (28) or the watts the bulbs are listed as.

2. The problem lies with the diodes. Those cheap bulbs use micro watt LEDs, suitable for electronic devices but not for growing. The devil is in the details, but the adage "you get what you pay for" really does apply to LED grow lights.

Volts * amps = watts. If you know the prior two specs you can calculate an individual diodes power draw.

You should post a link to the lights and state the actual power draw of them so that others will know before they buy.

Sent from my iPad using Grasscity Forum mobile app

3. #3 LieingCake, Oct 14, 2013
    All of them have a wide rang of voltage (exp:Voltage: 85v~ 265v) if I go from 110 to the 220 plug they would have higher watt usage then? The amps arn't listed they were just cheapy ebay bulbs the red/blue one were listed as grow lights assumed they would work.

4. You'll never get 100% of output from a LED lamp.   Best you'll get is about 2/3rds of it's rating if you want the lamp to live up to it's advertised life expectancy.  This is especially true for the higher wattage lamps.  You'll be lucky to actually get 10W of output from your 15W LEDs.

Having said that, you're not even getting 1/2 of rated output.  What LED drivers/power supply are you using?

And yes.. you certainly get what you pay for...

5. There cheapy ebay bulbs with the driver built in.

I assumed I wan't going get 100% of the listed watts but I expected 50-75% I think the reason why is the Voltage I'm using is on the low end of the range just waiting for someone to confirm before I spend time/money swapping it over to the 220 plug.

Why is the voltage low?  Just because you are using a 110VAC to power it?

For a powersupply to have that large of an input range means that it's a digital powersupply of some sort.  It will put out the required voltage/amps regardless of the input voltage so long as the input voltage is within the specified range.  In other words:  No, swapping to a 220VAC input isn't going to increase the output.  At least.. not with a properly designed and functioning powersupply.

7. #7 LieingCake, Oct 14, 2013
  8. http://www.aliexpress.com/premium/Led-grow-lights.html?ltype=wholesale&d=y&origin=y&SearchText=Led+grow+lights&initiative_id=SB_20131015040753&isViewCP=y&catId=0

9. If you check the feedback on that one a guy says he put a watt meter on it and they draw 15watts. So maybe 4 of them per square foot. That's a guess.

10. I contacted that ebay person she said she could build me a 40x1w led (red/blue) with a 40 watt driver going cost around $40 total.

I know I could use more but this should do for a while and I could always add some CFL blubs if needed.

11. 1 waft diodes are useless, get a panel that uses 3 watt LEDs , although they don't run that high anyway, save your pennies until you can buy something decent. If your budget is tight, go with T5HO or CFLs.

12. #13 LieingCake, Oct 16, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2013
    I though 1 watt were more effective over all? you just need more of them.

I'm going have lights all around so leaf penetration shouldn't be an issue right?

main light (top) 1w x40 and 2x60watt grow lights for heat/more light
    side lights 3-4 of the cheapy ebay bulbs that do 3w/bulb so it should be 9-12watts used watts on each side
    I'll add some cfl on the sides or maybe a smaller led (1wx12-15) on the sides at some point

I know this is still low I'm going try to get 150 led watts and 2x60w incandescent(?) grow lights (for the heat it's in a room that gets colder in the winter) which is still on the low end but should work.

/edit if the 40 watt works the plan is the 40watt and 2x12-15w (or just 1x30ish watt) inside a makeshift box with fan for increased air flow over them something like this: http://s2.postimg.org/94kh6ty15/Untitled.jpg

and 1-2x13w+ CFL blubs on 3 sides (3-6 total) + the old cheapy ebaybulbs + the 1-2x60w incandascent grow lights somewhere

1 watt LEDs are actually the best choice.  They are the most efficient and reliable, they are also easier to keep cool.   The only downside to 1W LEDs is that you need to wire in a lot more of them. 

I would take a 100x1W panel over a 20x5W any day.

14. Wen they say 1 watt / 3 watt etc. they are referring to a classification not the diodes ACTUAL electrical characteristics. Anything under the. 3 watt class do not produce enough light for serious growing applications. This isn't an opinion, this is after 6 months of researching and based on commentary from several manufacturers.

Integrated LED packages are coming on the scene which are the exception, to illustrate the difference...

Bad
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/DHL-Free-shipping-CE-approved-45-Watt-high-performance-LED-Square-Grow-Light-Panel-LED-Grow/913134418.html

Good
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Full-spectrum-grow-light-chip-50w-7-band-led-chip-for-plant-growing-and-flowering/999394450.html

So when talking about sub 3 watt diodes, whether they are in an integrated package or not is important.

When comparing panels, you really need the spec sheets for the diodes being used to know how much light they will produce and current drawn. Those little 1 watt LEDs can draw as little as 0.04 watts.

Some Chinese manufacturers use these super cheap LEDs, (ones you would normally use in electronics for indicator lights) and try to pass them off as grow lights when they can't pull anywhere near the wattage they advertise because you cannot tell the panels efficacy simply by multiplying the number of LEDs by the wattage they they say the LEDs are.

Within the integrated packages its diff, because the diodes are attached to a ceramic die for heat sinking and the wattage specified is (typically) accurate as they refer to the packages electrical specs as if it where a single led. Integrate are becoming the defacto DIY package. There is no comparison in terms of quality.

Note: getting the spec sheets for the diodes being used in grow panels is like pulling teeth, DO NOT ever believe the manufacturers, especially when they start dropping names like epistar and cree etc. the Chinese lie through there teeth. Sorry to say it, but its true. Do your own due diligence, ask for the electrical specs on the diodes and drivers.

15. #16 tylerm428, Oct 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 20, 2013

No.  When they say 1W or 3W they are saying just that.  It's a 1W or a 3W max output LED.  There can be a whole separate debate on how truthful the ratings are - but that's another thread. 

It's just that anything over 1W needs cooling or it will burn up.  Hence the different packaging.  Even 1W is touch and go with cooling which is why you see 1W LED's in both packaging types.

3 x 1W LEDs will actually put out more light than 1x 3W due to improved efficiency of the smaller package so I'm not sure where you are going with your claim. 

If you want reliable information - don't speak to manufacturers.  They'll always tell you that what they are doing is the best so you should buy their product.  The reality is that they use the higher wattage LEDs because it's cheaper and easier.  Not because it's somehow better. 

16. I hear what you are saying, I have found no info o support it. If you want to know how an led will performs, it's maximums and minimums you need the diodes spec sheet, all, diode manufacturers have them, panel assemblers get them from the led maker. Panel makers will not want to give them to you because the electrical spec on the spec sheet give away the secret. I would be inclined to believe your statement about 1 waters being more efficient, even if they are less cost effective, f there was some evidence you could point to. Maybe a spec sheet or two on some LEDs 1watters, used in a known grow panel, like a UFO or something. I will endeavour to find one we can pick apart electrically. I never believe manufacturers claims, show me the specs.