LED vs LEC who will win??

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by 420207, Mar 23, 2017.

1. 2 Sun System 315w LEC vs 3 1200 watt Viparspectra LED lights in bloom comparison.
    I decided to run an experiment in the same space 8'x8' tent with 2 different lights in bloom. I started with 4 1200w viparspectra germinated seeds in January 20th. In veg for 7 weeks and cut clones about 12 days ago. I bought a Sun Systems LEC and holy crap it was killing veg for the clones. Today the clones were ready to be transplanted into 1/2 gallon pots so I decided to go buy another LEC and swap one of the LEDs into the 4x4 clone/ veg tent and put the LEC into the flower tent. I recorded the LUX from both sides and while the LED is slightly higher at the same distance I think the LEC is going to crush the LED plants. I anticipate about another 4-5 weeks of flower before harvest. This is my first time grow so excited to experiment and see the results. All organic soil and go box nutes. Thoughts and comments welcome![​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sounds like, watt for watt, LEC is killing cheapie Chinese blurple LEDs

630w of LEC vs 1500+ actual watts of LED.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

3. Time will tell but think I may end up selling the LEDs and buy 4 more LECs!!

• Like Like x 2
  4. LEC's are great but have fallen out of favor for their high cost since they're not quite as good as cobs. I certainly would prefer one to an HPS though or a cheaper LED. Also called CMH lights. Some people don't realize they're the same thing. LEC = Light emitting ceramic. CMH = Ceramic Metal Halide.

This is my local grow stores new product he's really pushing. I forgot which brand he has but they have remote ballasts. I kinda like that compared to some of the sunsystems LEC that have built in ballasts so you put the heat in the grow room, not that they grow hot but eliminating any extra heat IMO is good. Remote ballast>built in.

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. Using the meter to test led light is not accurate. Led also come.in different brand and size and watt per bulb just like there different bulb temp and color. Both will do their job, most will choose depending on availability or due to certain condition. Best light = sun but that is a nono in most of the world.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

6. So why are you suggesting LUX is not comparable from LED to LEC? I have a full spectrum LED and am comparing it to a Phillips bulb. The LED manufacturer lists is LUX at distance. I am simply comparing 2 systems set identically in height under identical conditions to determine end results. I was trying to be as scientific as possible for fair results. I even went the extra mile to use normal plastic pots, air pruning pots and fabric pots with 2 different soil mixes under other lights. Again this is my first grow so experimentation to see what works best for my climate and indoor conditions is all part of the fun. It's legal here where I live so I am not in it for the money.

7. I got an Lec and know a couple of others and we have experience shorter flower time for them. I had an world of seed amnesia that was supposed to be ten weeks flower. It finish on day 49. (I got a journal for it on this site). I got over six ounces on it. The current grow is looking to do the same. The strain is u known but they are stacking and starting to amber on day 30ish. Journal below .

I'm subbing just to watch. I can tell you the Lec is going to be to tight. Might want to take some out and put them in veg

FuZzY back in Garden. Second grow. CMH-315 sun system. 4x4 tent soil. Lets have fun
    https://forum.grasscity.com/index.p...system.-4x4-tent-soil.-Lets-have-fun.1443872/

• Like Like x 1
  8. Great log! Hope mine look that nice:)

9. My hat off to you for doing experiment. I am not here to be negative or to spread ill will.

Lux is good to measure incandescent lights and is almost 100% accurate. When it come to led, it isn't as accurate. That is what I was just letting you know. Led uses multiple color leds, and different color has different reading with lux, reason why it isn't as accurate because it isn't shining from one bulb but multiple of small little diode and spectrum color will register different lux.

Don't get me wrong, I would love to see your result just for knowledge and curiosity purposes. Illuminance spectrometer would be the better tool but that things is expensive. Good luck with your project, I'll take a seat and enjoy the show. Good luck.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 2
  10. Thanks OC for clarifying. I am new to all of this and want to learn as much as I can. I appreciate your explanation of LED and incandescent lux readings and makes sense.

11. the lec will bitch slap the led . the spectrum is amazing on the lec and the par on the lec is very good lec wins hps lot of people do not know that . only problem that lec is very costly start up that is why there not common . thanks for posting you have a very nice set up im impressed

12. The price has gotten extremely reasonable these days. You can pick up a dual bulb 630w LEC fixture with ballast for $250 off amazon and a couple philips bulbs for $100 each, means you could get started in LEC for under $500. Not bad.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Here a single 315 LEC set up with dimmable ballast and a Phillips bulb is $380 out the door. My opinion well worth the investment considering how cool this light runs and how bright it is. It's only been a few weeks into flower and I have serious dense buds from both LED and LEC.

14. Agree. I can put my hand next to the bulb with no issues. I even had flowering plant inches away. No problem until the fan fall and it got brunt . Is this your first grow with it 420270 ? Have u had shorter than usual flower time ?

FuZzY back in Garden. Second grow. CMH-315 sun system. 4x4 tent soil. Lets have fun
    https://forum.grasscity.com/index.p...system.-4x4-tent-soil.-Lets-have-fun.1443872/

15. Yes first grow 8x8 tent not sure how long flower should take. Only been a few weeks now. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]