LED Vs HPS

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Deneen, Jul 27, 2012.

1. Are LEDs any good for flowering or should I get HPS. I got a small space and I'm worried about heat and I've heard some bad things about LED but I heard they run cooler temps. Will I get maximum results with LED? I'm looking to run 4 to 5 hundred watts.

2. I find leds work when you have an even canopy. I have a 240w blackstar and love it.

3. 2 grand for 800 watts... GTFOH!

VOO

4. Go MH/HPS all the way bro.

5. Led is great where hps can't fit. Different grow style thou. Like stated before, led is good for canopy grows ( sog, Scrog any even tops). The led wont penetrate a thick top. Unless you have a few and angle them around the space but that can get pricy. The hps will penetrate the bush but get hot as hell. I've heard hps gives bigger fatter buds thou. I use led cause space and location are small, real small. I love my led. My buds are decent t think. It all depends on your arrangements and what you wanna accomplish.

6. its a good investment..

its not all about the lumens, a lumen is just visible light to humans, not necessarily plants.

LEDs are great because they spend less wattage by only using light that's beneficial to the plant.

troll haarderr, quit being ignorant.

7. [quote name='"Deneen"']Are LEDs any good for flowering or should I get HPS. I got a small space and I'm worried about heat and I've heard some bad things about LED but I heard they run cooler temps. Will I get maximum results with LED? I'm looking to run 4 to 5 hundred watts.[/quote]

Hi ive been using led's for about 8 months now 3x3 watt modular units £1000 for the 3 180 watt lights. I really cant complain about them i posted some pictures in some of my threads take a look. Pinapple express and sensi star under the 3 led's and 1 400 watt hps dry yield was 32.5 oz excellent results for only 840 watts in total.

8. What brand LED..

And can you link your picture post or put some here?

Thanks

9. #10 zippy657, Jul 31, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2012
    Are we allowed to examine this claim though?? I say it is in no way a good investment in most cases. The exception being a space that like absolutely cannot be vented... like a patio closet, or something in public view. As long as we can use ducting, i cant imagine how you can justify this statement.

For the sake of the argument, lets say that the 400W LED from that link performs on level ground with a 1000W MH/HPS system (which is a super fucking stretch i promise). The 400W system is only 300 true watts if you read the specs. I agree they put out really good spectrums and get more lumens per watt and all that, but 140,000 lumens is still more than double what that thing puts out. Still, we will compare the two.

iPower 1000w 1000 watt HPS MH GROW LIGHT SYSTEM Set Wing Air Cool Hood Tube | eBay

6" Cool tube with deluxe wings and both bulbs comes to 250.. they even throw in some timers and shit but we wont consider that.

1 2 4 pk 6" Inch Booster Fan Inline Blower Exhaust Ducting Vent for HPS LED Tent 610395731160 | eBay

2 of these come to 50 bucks and one on each side of that thing in any space will do plenty to keep it within 10 inches... If you want to draw to and from a large room so you can grow in a closet, then get this for 20 bucks:

6" Inch Non-insulated Ducting Aluminum Foil Vent Uninsulated Inline Fan HPS Tent | eBay

Any smell control you do will be the same nomatter what bulb you use so we can count that out.

So with a full on top performing 1000W switchable system you are looking at under 300 easily that can be cooled almost anywhere... leaving 700 dollars to be made up for by (im assuming this is what you meant) energy costs?

Given a 700 watt difference under CONSTANT use this would take (at .10 per KWH) 14 months.. assuming we flower our plants sometimes, thats more like 18 months and now your warranty is up! enjoy.

So it takes someone who grows under full power literally constantly (which we all know isnt even close to the case for most of us) at least a year and a half to make this worth it.

If you are just looking to flower a few plants then 400W is all you really ever need and 600 if you feeling crazy... Im betting you cant show me that LED outperforming a 600W switchable system over the same grow area! If thats the case then we are looking at more like 4 years before it pays for itself...

Na man, they aint worth it, and even if by some miracle you get one to last for its 80000 hour rated lifetime (fucking nonsense for any electronics) and it does actually perform like a 1000W system (also fucking nonsense) then i'm still saying id rather 'pay as i go' so to speak.

IMO LED lighting will get considerably cheaper pretty quickly as they are being incorporated in a SHITLOAD more devices and applications today. It just hasnt happened yet. $1000 is too much for 300W.

10. Hi bought from www.grownorthern.co.uk there modular series GN-Ms0006 £330. This is crop of pinapple and sensi 8 plants grown in nft 240 tanks, room is 2 mt sq and completely covered in mylar. Using canna aqua grow/bloom and advanced nutrients blood bud,big bud and overdrive. Vegged for 5 weeks from seed, bloom for 9 ended up with 2 1/2 oz of bubble hash off the trim as well even the shaders were coated in tric :)

image-1849411068.jpg

image-3039709431.jpg

image-3938522093.jpg

image-2248397660.jpg

image-1336863977.jpg

image-2690062904.jpg

image-592623779.jpg

image-607656679.jpg

image-3517652497.jpg

11. Advanced led is by far the best bang for your buck, they are now proven lights that work and offer a 3 year warranty there lights start around $280 but it'll pay off on your first grow and will continue to pay off

12. nice grow with the mixed lights, little over 1gr/watt. have you tried just with the leds/ no hps? ive never seen large plants grown with just leds... i know they have a wide spread of light but can you grow 5-6ft tall plants with them?

13. [quote name='"Panda85"']nice grow with the mixed lights, little over 1gr/watt. have you tried just with the leds/ no hps? ive never seen large plants grown with just leds... i know they have a wide spread of light but can you grow 5-6ft tall plants with them?[/quote]
    Vvvvvvvvb

14. [quote name='"Panda85"']nice grow with the mixed lights, little over 1gr/watt. have you tried just with the leds/ no hps? ive never seen large plants grown with just leds... i know they have a wide spread of light but can you grow 5-6ft tall plants with them?[/quote]

They seem to take a bit longer in veg been leaving them about 5 weeks instead of the normal 3. The stretch they take during bloom is immense. Got a grow with just the led's just now,ill post pictures in a few weeks there only 2 weeks in veg. Never tried to grow them tall i havnt got the headroom growing them to about 3 1/2 - 4 ft at full maturity.