LED vs HPS/MH

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Skunk_smell_isn't_me, Jan 30, 2020.

1. IF your LED is at 3.0. Most are running at 2.5 or lower.

• Like Like x 2
  2. #62 Headhunterpipes, Feb 5, 2020
    Last edited: Feb 5, 2020
    Samsung is Umol/J .303 ,, you put the decibel point in the wrong place .
    Samsung is not 3,03

I am editing this post the efficacy is actually umole/J 3.03 and I was wrong when I said it was .303

• Friendly Friendly x 1
  3. lol scrap this post I wasn't looking at the right posters.

• Like Like x 1
  4. #64 ChiefRunningPhist, Feb 5, 2020
    Ya I hear ya, it was just to illustrate the correlation of photon efficacy to cost of operation. The best I've seen is 2.7μmol/J and sold by Fluence. HID efficacy diminishes quicker, so I'm assuming most "not brand new" HID are less than 2.0 or 1.9. I typically figure LED operating costs at ~66% of HID as a base estimate (lighting), but one can get a better estimate by using the figures posted previously.

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 1
  5. #65 ChiefRunningPhist, Feb 5, 2020
    Not trying to sound arrogant, but I do know this stuff. If anyone disagrees just ask for clarification and Ill kindly explain, or correct my mistake. :)

6. [QUOTE="ChiefRunningPhist, post:

I stand corrected , I thought the decibel point was .303 ..
    Sorry ..

• Like Like x 1
  7. Ain no thang but a chicken wang on a strang lol I've never made a mistake so... Lol :) (that's a joke, I often do, that's why I'm saying to ask if something doesn't sound correct).

• Winner Winner x 1
  8. I really don't have a grasp on a ton of the LED world. I switched because I was running a 1000watt HPS and killing it in a 5x5 but I couldn't control the heat in the summer even with a vented hood. Lights on during the night was not an option, so I switched to LED when HLG first started throwing the 288's around. I originally had just the 4 boards pushing out the max 150watts each and it wasn't getting the job done in the 5x5 like the 1k HPS was previously and the 2700k spectrum kinda sucked too. I added the CMH and dimmed the boards down to 100watts each which made them run super cool and the added UV/IR and 4200k spectrum the CMH puts off got my production back to an acceptable level. I do about 30oz with 6plants under 715 watts.
    For me it wasn't so much the gain in savings of electricity as it was getting a control over environment

• Like Like x 1
  9. Thanks for being understanding ,, I am really trying to understand/know lighting efficacy .
    I study it everyday .

• Winner Winner x 1
  10. Ya there's a lot of lights that claim they are a replacement to a 1000W DE HPS, but most are inflating the true efficiency. The math shows you need about 2/3+ the wattage of HID to equate the same PPFD.

11. I hear ya! It sure can be addicting lol

12. To me I think one would have to have a passion to learn lighting or Electromagnetic Radiation .
    Least its that way for me .
    I have sixteen 2v288 Rspec HLG Samsung QB's in two 4x8 tent .
    Each set of four boards are 640w . each tent 4x8 has 1280 watts of QB's
    I have 3 diy Cree/Cob lights with a makers controller totaling 375 watts I like using with my QB's
    plus a 4x5 walk in closet with Mars 300w led lights .
    I have total of ten 300 w mars lights and one 600w mars led light ..
    When all the lights are on my power bill is under 300.00 a month .

Lights being side by side the plants grow toward the QB's

• Like Like x 1
  13. Nice! I think you've got a good thing going on there. As far as the mars vs QB, I'm assuming the efficiency of the mars is less than the QB and thus less photons. Those QBs are pretty good products. I'm not too familiar with the mars SPD like I am of the phosphored LED QB.

• Like Like x 1
  14. I just recently bought the spider farmer 100watt LED off amazon for $150 to replace the 200watts of T5 lights in veg tent. So far I'm extremely happy with the light. It is a mix of 3k 5k Deep red and IR. I've heard some horror stories about the light crapping out after a few months so I'm hoping I got a good one.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Hi
    The Samsung QB's , I think they are the best thing sense peanut butter .
    I am 100% sold on them .
    Honestly from my research I thought they are the most efficient lighting on the planet ?
    Straight up Horticulture Lighting Group hasn't screwed up one order ..

The mars LED lights are getting phased out ..with the Samsung QB's as soon as I can afford it .
    been watching lectures by Richard feyneman
    richard feynman - Saferbrowser Video Search Results

• Like Like x 1
  16. This is chip efficiency not system efficiency, 2.7 "ish" Umol/J is about as high as I've seen for LED fixtures. The chart on page 3 is the best reference I've seen on this thread. When I was specing out a recent build I found that about 70% of the watts for legacy lighting gave comparable light levels from LED and HVAC requirements dropped by at least a third.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Hi
    Well I sure don't want to post wrong efficacy numbers again .
    So I looked this up.
    In the specs it says efficacy Umol/J 3.03 for the lm301 diode .
    Samsung Electronics Expands Horticulture LED Lineups to Advance Greenhouse and Vertical Farming
    Samsung’s New Horticulture LED Lineups:
    Product
    Size

(mm)

Light Color
    PPF**

(μmol/s)

PE***

(μmol/J)

Package
    Mid-power

(65mA, 25℃)

LM301H 3.0 x 3.0 White 0.54 3.03
    LM561H 5.6 x 3.0 White 0.50 2.88
    High-power

(350mA, 25℃)

LH351H 3.5 x 3.5 White 2.52 2.56
    Blue (450nm) 2.80 2.80
    Deep Red (660nm) 2.32 3.16
    Far Red (730nm) 0.22 0.33
    Module
    Horticulture LED Module

(1.2A, 25℃)

281.0 x 41.0 White 70.90 2.74
    561.0 x 41.0 White 141.80 2.74

* Vertical farming is the practice of growing crops in vertically stacked layers and usually takes place in controlled, indoor environments.

** PPF (photosynthetic photon flux) indicates the total amount of photons in the photosynthetically active radiation (PAR) range – a spectral range between 400 and 700nm – that can enhance plant photosynthesis and is measured in micromoles per second (μmol/s).

*** PE (photon efficacy) indicates the light efficacy level for photosynthesis in plants and is measured in micromoles per joule (μmol/J).

• Like Like x 1
  18. I'd be curious to see what wattage they run at to hit those numbers. On the HLG site, you can get 3.0 out of the V2 QB288 if you run them at 22watts. IMO that that doesn't work in a cannabis growing situation at all.

• Like Like x 2

19. Yes, the LM301H has a "chip efficiency" of 3.03 Umol/J, this is not the same as system efficiency which takes into account driver loss etc. Chip efficiency and system efficiency are two different things.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  20. Manufacturer's use a very low current when testing and only in pulses. This keeps the temperature low and gives inflated efficiency figures when taking normal operating conditions into consideration. Most mid power LED are pulsed at 65mA, while most LED lights operate at 100mA - 180mA (per chip) and at a constant rate rather than pulsed. The more current you flow the greater the amount of heat produced, and this heat reduces efficiency.

Drivers are somewhere between ~92% - 96% efficient depending on model and dim level. This inefficiency adds to the aforementioned reduction in chip efficiency when greater currents are flowed and temperatures increase.

HLG uses LM301B/H which have been pointed out to be stated at 3.03μmol/J, and the LM79 posted on HLG's website shows a true fixture photon efficacy of 2.67μmol/J.
    Screenshot_2020-02-05-17-20-20~2.png

The driver used is a 480h 2100a and at 480W with an input V of 220, is ~95% efficient.
    Screenshot_2020-02-05-17-06-52~2.png

3.03μmol/J × (0.95)
    =
    2.8785μmol/J

You can see that there's still a loss in effeciency as...

2.67μmol/J ÷ 2.8785μmol/J
    =
    0.9275; 92.75%

...only 92.75% of calculated emmision are measured. The Rspec uses 660nm supplemental LEDs and thus In assuming (depending on 660nm chip used) the 2.67μmol/J figure would be even lower if these were not added (a 60% efficient 660nm chip = 3.3μmol/J), so it may not look like much but normal operating conditions greatly reduce μmol/J figures being stated by manufacturers testing at 65mA.

• Agree Agree x 1