LED Vs. HID

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by bdm80, Nov 22, 2011.

1. OK Gents.. I think I'm going to give a couple of these LED's a whirl..

This will be my first crack at using LED's and a tent...

If anybody has any opinions on these specs, I would certainly appreciate some input:

Watts: 700
    Light Power: 324x3watt leds chip
    LED Brand: Epistar Briudgelux Cree
    Spectrum: 740nm 660nm 630nm 610nm 460nm 440nm white etc.
    LED View Angle: 60 90 120
    Unit Size: 455x455x100mm (18x18x4)

Attached Files:

2. Desired tent temperature when growing with LED's is considerably higher than when growing with HID. My tent usually is around 83F during the warmest part of the day, and from my research, the desired temp is between 82-85F. As opposed to HID at 72F. Plants will grow at lower than 82-85 but your yield will suffer. I love growing with LED's but it comes with its own challenges. The quality I get is superb, and to me, its worth it for the decreased yield. But the challenge that I like is experimenting with things and seeing what increases my yield. Other factors at play here, but I really dont want to stir the argument.

3. I would stay away from something that says its 700 watts and has 324x3watt (972watts) of LEDs. And chances are they are lying about spectrum as well. 740nm and 630nm light together will cause the Emerson effect and won't grow plants worth a shit... Whole thing looks fishy...

-Loki

4. #44 shadow51020, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2011
    Just ask them what the real input is. It probably isn't 700. They are most likely rounding from somewhere at least. Also ask them how far the light penetrates effectively. If they dont answer those then they haven't tested it.

Blackstar
    Penetrator led
    Magnum led

I can confirm, although not Personally, that they function better than equivalent hps lighting.

Led is not more efficient than vertical hps though. Not even close.

5. Who makes this unit? Cree are one of the best LED's out on the market and in order to get amazing growth the TRUE 3W diodes are needed.

This may be a great light. (except for the fact Loki said a couple of the spectrums offered will stunt growth?)

6. #46 radman60, Dec 27, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 27, 2011

Hummmm.. Loki.. Thanks for your input..

I'm looking at the Spectrum that is on the Magnum 357 and the spectrum seems pretty close to the unit that I'm looking at..
    Mine: 740nm(IR) 660nm 630nm 610nm 460nm 440nm cool white(6500K~7500k) and warm white(2500K~3500K
    Magnum: 420nm/439nm/469nm/483nm/3000k-3500k/642nm/667nm/680nm/720nm)

Found an email with a little more detail on the spectrum.. :)

7. That is not completely true. After digging into it the blackstar models use 2w diodes. From what I have seen they do well. Also the original 357 magnum used 3x1w led stacked in the same lens.

8. Sure they grow well, but true 3W diodes will be able to shut everyone up about HPS vs LED. That 3W stacked 1W is just because they probably bought 1W much healer than buying true 3W. It's not proper.

9. Sorry Johnny I missed your post.. Slight shitfaced for the holiday season LOL.. :p :rolleyes:

The unit is made in China.. I was talking to a buddy of mine that owns a Hydro store and he's very keen on seeing the unit in action.. I just may buy a couple and give them a test run in one of my tents.. :)

If they work out, he's gonna have a 700w LED that he will be able to retail out at $999.00 Cannuck bux.. :)

10. The first thing that caught his eye was the 3w diodes... Apparently that is the latest and greatest in LED.. Apparently it beats the hell out of 3 single watt diodes for each LED..

Cheers

11. BTW... I can get the spectrum configured any way I want it... If anybody has any suggestions for spectrum improvement then let's have at it as I haven't got a clue which combo is better than any other..

Cheers

12. Ledgrow.eu

I got a lot of info from readin Hans' findings. I customized my Apollo light with his recommendations.

Also another note. Uv and infrared Are expensive and unnecessary for growth. If you want uv on your plants get a t8 fixture for reptiles and hang one on either side of the panel

13. Consider an Apollo led too. I am loving mine so far. The design is much better in my opinion than all those LEDs close together.

14. Got me 2 700w LED,s delivered and set them up in one 4x8 tent.. Show is over here and I have found a new love.. LOL

15. importing and customizing them yourself is the way to go. The spectrum i got on my apollo works fantastically.

5x630nm - Red
    6x660nm - Far Red
    1x612nm (i think) Orange
    2x460nm - Blue
    1x430nm - Deep Blue?

The orange did exactly what i was hoping for. Some LEDs have delayed flowering, the orange, or maybe just the spectrum i got, prevented that. At least so far.

Edit:
    Also don't bother with adding UV. It is the most expensive diode usually, and you can just supplement it with the UV CFL or Flourescent light for reptiles.