LED vs HID - comparison grow

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by zigeina44, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Hey guys

I have 36 critical mass clones in soil, under both led Lights (advanced led Diamond series) and a dimmable 600 Watt hid Light

My Journal Starts Today, at Day 8 into flowering

Talking about veg the leds did a better Job (Not too much of a surprise since i have used a Red Light hid for veg also)

The clones were already Kind of topped when i got them

Hope you enjoy, i am also very excited to See the results

2. The last picture shows their first Day in my tent ;)

Greetings

Attached Files:

3. Day 12

Flowering of the plants has already visibly started, at least under the leds, which seem to let flowering begin a lil bit earlier

Switched the hps Light from 450 to 600 watt Today

Attached Files:

4. #4 zigeina44, Jan 14, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 14, 2013
    Day 17

The plants under the leds are still ~two to three days ahead

Attached Files:

5. Day 20

Attached Files:

6. Any ideas what May have caused the stretching on Most of them? Distance from canopy to Light was NOT the problem, i kept the Lights really low all the time... Must have been caused by some nutrient issues... Too much N? Any ideas?

7. so you're running a 700 or 1100w LED and a 450-600w HPS, and wonder why LED is getting better results? lol

bias much?

8. Sometimes too much N can cause a little extra stretching...more then a 10 degree swing in day/night temps or a hot canopy will also promote extra stretch.

looking great though, I'm excited to see the results of this.

9. i think its clearly visible that i have several leds ... i have 100 and 200 watt units and plants under the 200watt unit perform better than plants under the 600watt hps ...simple as that...but one should always be aware of the relatively narrow angle of the leds light beam, in other words: a 600 watt hps with a good reflector could be easily used in a 4x4 tent...if you decide to go with leds, i would recommend at least four of this 200watt units for that 4x4 tent ... the outcome on one hand will be of course higher electricity costs, but on the other hand you will also get more of a better (yes: better) product ;)

10. Day 22

Attached Files:

11. Day 24

Attached Files:

12. Day 26

Attached Files:

13. you're comparing apples and oranges tho

one plant under a 600w is a waste, because that 600w is distributed over a MUCH larger footprint. even with a plant 2 feet wide you're still only getting maybe 1/4 of the light it's putting out (or 150w worth)

of course 200w directly onto a plant will do better than 150. 33% better, hopefully! My point is you're not making valid comparisons, so your results will be just as biased.

14. Why should the comparison Not be valid?!

Since i live in a City and my Apartment is NOT a Big house, i dont have that much space for such operations... Therefore it makes Sense to measure efficiency by bud per squaremeter, not bud per Watt ;)

15. Day 31

Attached Files:

16. Looking very good

17. Day 39... Not to happy with results so far... May be the pheno type, as the seller said He hasnt tried it yet

Attached Files:

18. Day 46

Attached Files:

19. Day 49

Attached Files:

20. Nice looking grow Z! Im currently trying my first run in my tent under two pro grow 180s and some supplemental light. Regardless of the comparison to HID, Im liking what you got going. ;)