LED that can be close to tops?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Icon Kush, Apr 25, 2017.

1. hi all

I'm looking for a LED light to grow 1 plant at a time and my heights an issue.

Back in the day I would veg with cfls and I would have the lights like 2-3 inches from the top....I don't have much vertical height so can anyone reccomend a low watt LED that would be good in a micro grow situation?

2. I can get my viparspectra 600s about 10 inches without issue.

3. Haven't built the box yet....but I'm looking at 24 inch height maximum.

I know it sounds crazy.

But my pots are 8 inches tall....Led light will be 3 inches wide so let's say 4 inches from top of box.....so all I have is 12 inches in between soil and light.

I need a light that can basically touch the plants.

When I grew years ago I would veg with cfls.....I had those things right up to the plants and I spent a lot of time doing lst.....I'd bush out the plant for 6 weeks under cfl then throw it under a dimmed 600 w cool tube and It was incredible how short they stayed.

Before they went into flower they would only come out of the pot 3-4 inches....I was real proud of my lst

4. Quantum Boards from Northern Grow lights or these:
    5x TCI Linear LED strip board 23W 4000K 3540lm 154lm/W CRI80 Drivers included!

Mount them to a 9x16 inch sheet of 1/8 inch thick aluminum. I plan to order some of these next week and try them out.

5. I keep my mars hydro (135W) 8" from the top in flowering but lowest I've personally kept it in veg is 16". Hell you could get a Chinese LED that pulls 50-75 watts and use cfl as side lighting.idk just options

Special Queen #1

https://forum.grasscity.com/index.php?threads/Attempt-#2--(Special-queen-#1).1432973/

6. 90W QB LED Kit
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Get one while you can. They are selling like hot cakes. One of the best new light out. White light leds. Small square cobs. Meanwell drivers and samsung leds. $150
    90 watts but punches way above it's wattage. Would be great for micro grow. Maybe run 2.

• Like Like x 1
  7. am i the only one that had the manufacturer set how high it should be? i was told 20 inches...but maybe its just to get the full spectrum on all the plant surfaces.

8. If you read or research, all manufacturers have a recommended distance for each light. LED's are built quite differently between models. They have different lenses at different angles and have different intensities of light output. In general low power led's can be much closer. Anything over 500 actual watts of power is going to require significant distance of at least 14-16". Recommended 18-24" is common. Some recommend up to 24-30" for the most radiant, highest power, 90 degree lens models.

9. The quantum boards are all the further you need to look. Not a close call.