Led pc grow

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by seedlingstarter, Jan 26, 2014.

1. would that work magnets? are they strong enough to hold up the panel? If so would i glue them to the heatsink, then on the outside of the case place the other magnets to get it to stick to the roof?

2. Can you show me pics of the new light? I think depending on the strength of the magnet it should hold. Your pc case should have metal siding you can just glue the magnet to the light on the back I'm not entirely sure where at tho. Another suggestion would be to get some type of clamps

-------------------------
    All of my advice comes from years of farming and green housing experience.

I'm a hacker, I'm a grower, I'm a stunt man. Live your life :)

3. at the top of page 2 is the heatsink for my led's

4. Hmm I'm not exactly sure but I would assume that if you get a strong enough magnet it would work. If I think of another way that might work I'll let you know, I'm suggesting that because that's how my LEDs will be on my pc when it arrives here

5. maybe i can find a metal strip or bar as a heatsink that would be a much easier fit. Next round ill have both panels running together in a bigger box for sure tho

6. #66 xilw3r, Mar 4, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 4, 2014
    I attached my led panel with ferite magnets, DO NOT use neodymium as they loose magnetisation completely at 80 degrees celcius, thats too close to led working temps for my comfort.

my leds are mounted on square aluminum tubes, so i have it set up like this: PC case top-> magnet-> aluminum pipe -> magnet. no glue needed, can remove or move as wanted and also have an airgap above the heatsink for better heat dissipation. shit holds strong too. 

edit, just now saw your heatsink, too bad, but my solution aint working for you. what you can do, if you have the tools, is cut a hole in the top of your case the size of your hs and have the thing sticking out through there. this helps the temperatures a great deal.

7. Kofidog how's your grow going? What are your light positions now?

Remember: There is Nothing more American than a man producing a product that the people want

8. #68 kofidog, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014

Thanks for asking GreenHack, but I'm afraid my grow isn't going well at the moment. I've got a pc case chock full of fungus gnats, 2 little ones have croaked it, and the 3rd is looking a bit shaky as well. My first line of attack is to eradicate these bloody fungus gnats. I'm thinking to get rid of the soil and replace it with a fresh mix. I've got a couple of seeds I'm germinating using the damp paper towel method. I'm going to get some small dixie type cups and once the beans have sprouted, they're going in the cups and then into the pc case (after I've dealt with the gnats). So basically, I'm starting from scratch. :cry: This is the 2nd time I've lost seedlings... I'm also looking at making up some organic insecticide using neem oil, aloe and Potassium Silicate (Pro-tekt). Unfortunately it appears pro-tekt is not available in Oz, and so far I haven't found a comparable product. I may have to find a substitute for the pro-tekt.

9. #69 GreenHackTM, Mar 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2014
    What's your soil ratio, organic etc. What's your water schedule, how's your humidity level inside, receiving enough air flow?

You'll need to get fresh soil, I think you already know this. But any fungal issues need to be address just like you are doing.

Quarantine, dispose of your soil/plants/ treat them.

Do you have any ideas as to how you may have got the fungal? You are growing from seedling correct?

Edit: I'm going to suggest something that I really hope you take advantage of. Do all organic soil, and make sure you use rock dust. This helps to make a home for the good microbes etc to fight off chances of fungi

Remember: There is Nothing more American than a man producing a product that the people want

10. Thats a bummer man, yea i would use a new soil. Hope ya new run turns out better.

11. Seedling: any luck with your lighting?

12. #72 kofidog, Mar 6, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 6, 2014
    Hey GH, here's my current setup:

mrgrowpro pc with 3 LED rails;
    at the moment the light schedule is 18/6;
    using an all organic, soiless mix: compost/earthworm castings (50/50) some coco coir also
    kelp meal, peat, rock dust, and lime as amendments (waiting on some neem cake to arrive for later top dressing);
    I have a moisture meter so I water as indicated;
    humidity in the case varies between 50 and 80%;
    temperature fluctuates between 25 and 30 Celsius (77 - 86 deg Fahrenheit - it's summer time here);
    as far as air flow, my case has the 3 fans that came with it, I believe 2 or outtakes and one is an intake.

I am growing from seeds. At the moment I have white widow. May order some super silver haze and some blueberry for my next grow.
    I'm not sure how the fungus gnat infestation started - my guess is that some larva may have been in the compost I used? IDK.... Anyway, I'll be better prepared next run with the neem oil/aloe/potassium silicate insecticide if the little buggers dare to mess with me again...

And there you have it. Any comments?

13. #73 GreenHackTM, Mar 6, 2014
    Honestly man your mix sounds good to me, you have all of the necessary amendments etc. But your compost could have been where the gnats came from. But you're right haha it's hard to know. It's hard letting them go.. I know but you're more prepared now man!

Edit: I would suggest using something for aeration in your mix, and maybe some Canadian peat moss.. Just my suggestions that have always worked well in my soil haha

14. Go hydro , its fast, compact and works good.

15. #75 GreenHackTM, Mar 6, 2014
    Eh, he's just starting out growing.. I suggest continue with soil because you have learned thus far and have tested with soil

16. Did this thread die? Haha how's everyone's grow this weekend? I'm heading back to my place to check mine out. I'll post later if anyone is interested ha.

18. here is how she is looking now i think she is 36 days now not sure ill have to go back and check

Attached Files:

19. Looking very good, very bushy! Keep it up seedling

20. do you have pics of your girl yet