LED or t5 lights for my small grow.

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by Luciherb, Nov 14, 2016.

1. Hello,

I am a first time poster and a beginning grower of the holy plant. For a few months now I have been building my own set up (Aside from the DWC) from scratch. Since I have more stable income recently I have been considering a better lighting setup. As you can see my grow space is rather small in height. If I adjust my shelving again I could get a maximum of 36 inches from bottom to top.
    I am considering a 130W? Galaxy hydro LED grow light, but I've read that a distance of 18 inches is needed from canopy, which would make it difficult to grow even smaller plants especially in the DWC.
    Or, a 4 tube t5 lighting fixture, but I cannot find information on different watt bulbs to make sure I'm getting the maximum lighting with t5 for my little demons.
    Any response with advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

20161114_142203.jpg

2. I vote for LEDs

• Like Like x 1
  3. dont waste money on that small of a light. the 300w is only a 100 bucks and itll be like night and day on the 130w. you have to remember these arent "true" watts

4. And the 300w LEDs would be okay around 10-12 in away?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  5. it dependson your grow area but i am currently running a 300w galaxy with amazing results

6. You can get away with 130w for veg, but I'd highly recommend at least the 300w for flowering. Your yield will suffer from that 130 for sure.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

7. A 2ft 4 tube unit is 96w and a 4ft 4 tube unit is 216w. So if you plan on getting a 2ft unit you're definitely better off with something like a MarsHydro300 (150w) LED. If you're planning on the 4ft one then I think it wins because the LED won't spread that far at that height. Getting an LED might leave you the option of fitting another LED in there so that would be the way to go imo

8. That will very likely be too close for 300w LED. 18"- 24" is more like it.

Sent from Los' Santos

9. First time grower here too, but my plants are coming along very nice with a 150w ufo LED light. My first auto cheese was a little starved for light before I got I added the LED to my CFL set up (6x 60w) when it was already weeks into flowering. However, my Northern Lights auto has been under the LED since early veg and it is doing amazing. Mind you, I topped my NL and didn't top my cheese auto, but the NL is sill doing much better as it progresses into budding further. First pic is cheese late in budding, second is NL right now with about another 3 weeks atleast of budding, [​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

• Like Like x 1
  10. Very beautiful! What distance do you have the UFO LED from the top of the canopy, is that 150w true watts and would you say the extra CFLs are needed or would the UFO LED suffice?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1