Led or hps/md an why

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by sheerules, Aug 16, 2018.

1. Trying to get some real world opinions on what to use currently running a solarsystem 275 in a 5x5 my debate is add another 275 or go to a 600/750 de gavita I have 4 indica plants in the first week of veg my tent temps are aounr 70 to 75 this is in the summer tho an it's in a cooler unfinished basement it's going to be getting much cooler down there in the winter so should u consider going to a 600/750 de gavita for that extra bit of heat also what have you seen for potency when using those lights all the videos im watching the LED plants seem to be frostier thanks for any advice folks newbie over here

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

2. You could always enclose the space with plastic to make it smaller if u wanna increase temps under a hps.

I wanted LED just for power consumption “nibbles” instead of chugging it down with ups/mh.

3. My mars 300 watt LED lights are actually under 110 watts but equivalent to a 300 w HPS .
    That is how they rate LED lights .
    My mars led lights do work , they do grow quality weed ,
    I use ten 300w mars lights in a 4x8 tent

what is your priority ?
    Quality of light or cost of operating quality lights ?

Common sense ... HPS is 70s technology ,, led technology is changing everyday .. and can be considered 2018 technology and the most efficient lighting known to man to date .

But HPS HLG lights have a color spectrum adult cannabis plants love .
    I don't think HPS or hi output LED lighting is the best for clones.
    I use CFL T 5 .lighting for clones .

Some LED lights produce a color spectrum that cannabis plants love too.

I have been making my own LED lights , 75 actual watts and 150 actual watts .
    Using Cree quantum boards with 5 channels and a makers controller .
    Average cost per 4x8 tent is about 1600.00 . and many in here will say Cree bulbs and COB technology is now out dated technology and the price tag is about 1/3 more then the Samsung quantum boards or light engines .

Right now Samsung is the newest technology .

These are the lights I have been making , the 20 inch 150 watt LED lights kits using a makers controller .
    I use four 150w LED Supply , LED lights in my other 4x8 tent.
    https://www.ledsupply.com/led-kits/grow-light-kit-makersledand plan on replacing the ten 300 w Mars lights .
    And use them in my Veg and clone room.
    Using both 4x8 tent for flowering ………..
    I am growing 3 plants per 4x8 tents , Each plants is 3 foot DIA and 4.5 feet tall at harvest
    My thoughts is you will be out of room with two plants to three plants in your tent .

My power bill doesn't run over 110 .00 bucks per month ,, last month I only had one tent set up and my power bill was 50 bucks ………..
    Two 4x8 tents and a walk in closet .

4. HPS is low cost upfront but expensive to run and if you have to counter the heat, the cooking cost adds even more. But they flat out produce dense frosty buds. I’m changing over to quantum boards from HPS. Even swapping some of my fluorescent in veg for a 4000k four qb120 setup. You can build two four board setups that will do a 4x4 with about 500 watts of white light led power for about $450 and everything except the aluminum for the frame can bought on amazon. Although I bet you can find that too

• Like Like x 1
  5. What is your power bill ?

6. Costs me about $75 per month to flower my 4x4 and veg space. 1400ish watts total. Plus venting, fans, and dehumidifier.