Led or high pressure sodium

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Dharvey, Jul 4, 2017.

1. I love the cmh. Way less heat. Very dense nugs.

• Agree Agree x 1
  2. Save a ton on cooling and electric costs to run maybe 350w at the wall

3. If I redo room I'm going with cmh. Maybe throw a 600 ceramic hps in there too. If hortilux has released them.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. I think the sunsystem lec that I have is about 354w or something close to that

5. If you do I wanna follow the results if you make a journal I'd be interested for sure.

• Like Like x 1
  6. The watts per square foot is 75 in one room. Cmh is only 45 which is spread out more. Have too add couple more bulbs.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Plants were very colorful under cmh.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Easy to see things too hated trying to see my plants under led. Hard to see if your leaves were fading or if it was the light screwing with ya.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Wish I had a light mover for mine

• Like Like x 1
  10. Cover more area with a 315 I can see the scrog now:RoorRip::yay:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Not an LED guy currently, but I want the PLC 6 LED. More even light distribution across the canopy and nice penetration. The hps has a single area of really intense light, and it dissipates quickly, which annoys me.

Sent from my HTC One M9 using Tapatalk

12. Most higher power leds that do compare to HID lights cannot get within 12" of the canopy. Many of them need more light distance then your 1000 watts to not bleach buds or burn plants. 18" is pretty typical for most higher powered leds.

13. OP: What leds are you running? I'm assuming they aren't the best quality if you're complaining about the performance compared to HID. What are your current gram per watt figures considering the actual watts of the leds?

For a prebuilt light right now Spectrum King may have the most impressive numbers out there. Their 480 watt lights put out about as many lumens as a 1000 watt hps. There's many youtube videos on them and they significantly out par 1000 watt hps with 480 watts. They're built for a 4x4 area.
    400 Watt LED Grow Light | Buy 400W LED Lights | shop LED grow lights

14. Hps is great but im starting to embrace led now too. Im currently running my first led grow under a mars hydro 1200w. Im looking forward to seeing the results. I can pull 200g (7oz) off 1plant under a 400w hps. If i can get the same or more with the mars 1200 im switching to led

15. keep us posted on that !! as of now they are even as far as dried weight .I too would be inclined to switch IF there is a proven led that yields more with the same wattage .

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

16. Cree CBX 3590 cobs have been hitting 1.5-2 grams per watt for about 2 years now. The QB panels seem to be around a similar watt per gram level. Nobody ever did that with HPS. That would be about like yielding over 4 pounds from a single 1000 watt light. Most people consider themselves a commercial expert if they can get 2 pounds per 1000 watt light. That isn't even 1 gram per watt. The current highest tech leds are more than doubling the grams per watt of hps and with way less heat so less ac cost.

It's around 4-500 for a top end commercial grade DE 1000 watt HPS fixture. It's $700 for the spectrum king 400 that will replace it for half the electricity. You have to buy a new $100 bulb every year for the HPS. The led will have over 90% of it's output at over 5 years. The LED costs half the electric bill a month and doesn't require a $100 bulb every year. Suddenly it doesn't take long for the led to pay for itself, even a fairly expensive top end model like the spectrum king. I think one of their secrets is that heat pipe style heat sink similar to top end cpu air coolers. With that increased cooling efficiency they are able to drive their leds harder then most people.

17. a Canadian based strain called BUG BUD has since 2000 yielded 2 pounds per 1000 watts indoors. but although the buds are huge the thc and the taste was not all that...so breeders started using big bud as an ingredient in other strains hoping to attain the yield..(grandaddy purp) which is big bud and purple urkel Is a popular one...there is no led company boasting the numbers your talking about. I believe we would all know.and Hid's would become a thing of the past.Those numbers may happen and do but it's all to do with genteics and environment and proper feeding. training and supercropping ..not just the led... I would like to see the buds grown under this brand of led however ...as I have heard good things about it.

18. tapatalk_1469018669279.jpeg 1000k hps

• Like Like x 1
  19. Over a lb there off one plant

• Like Like x 1
  20. whats that strain ? and the Veg time it took as both factor in alot ....no way to say " I grew a plant that had a pound because I used a certain light....no way