Led or high pressure sodium

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by Dharvey, Jul 4, 2017.

1. I own two led is i been thinking about switching to hps is it worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

2. Cmh

• Like Like x 2
  3. You can combine both if you'd like but watch out for heat. You're going to need ducting and a cool tube more than likely.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. You'll get better results with ceramic metal halide less heat and draw at the wall better spectrum pure white light....closest bulb compared to sunlight with square wave tech no intermittent firing. Hid fires rapidly causing waves of light that peak and fade up to 100x a second...causes that flickering In photos. Here is a pic with a cmh in action. No flickering, pure white light. 20170617_192527.jpg

• Like Like x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  5. it's taken a few years but led has caught up to hps...although more expensive...they do generate less heat...that's really the only HUGE difference.aside from consuming less energy..and its enough difference for many growers to op for led..NOW...that said ...one cannot tell the difference between a cola that was grown properly under hps to one that was grown properly under led..if there was a difference in yield WE would all know by now and most would have switched ..by now..
    I still use 1000 watt metal halides and 1000 watt hps...as to convert it all would be a fortune here in brasil. so really it's up to your setup...if you might have energy consumption issues and or heat...then led is your other option ...if not...HID is still (currently) hitting the same quality and same yields as the same wattage in led...I've used both, together and separate...and the final dried weight was within 10 grams ..Both times...so only because I have all the shit ...I still use hps and halide...the bulbs are rather cheap ...and you can / should replace after 6 months...putting you back at 100%;lumens without switching anything else...NOT the case with leds...só I guess there's one disadvantage to using leds...also another disadvantage using led is the area coverage as leds are designed in a box shape which shoots light effectively down but not out. as with HID lights depending on the reflector you can cover a larger area...I use cool tubes with a modified reflector from another hood to max the Area. with led I can't easily do that. it would be cool if someone could post a pic of a nice bud that was grown in led and one under hps...OR a few pics...then ask the community if they can guess which bud grew under which light....My bet is everyone would say wow they do look the same and I said the weight is the same....só in the end its up to you...and your budget and your space..

Sent from my SM-G600FY using Tapatalk

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. I plan on buying another one before winter

• Like Like x 2
  7. This, He's correct that led has come a long way, the Quantum Boards are so powerful it's like a 600w hps. Seriously it blows panels out of the water. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  8. I grow LED, this is my current grow, still has about 3 weeks to fatten up and they're already fat, and go all the way down to the stem almost. Best grow yielding plant I've had at this stage of 6 weeks. [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

• Like Like x 6
  9. real nice what strain?

10. 20170520_170304.jpg 20170616_112909.jpg dinafem cheese

• Like Like x 2
  11. It's a bagseed. My buddy who passed, he's was the plug he kept seeds of all the best weed he sold from our little circle of Indoor growers. It's a seed from his fav bud ever. So no idea but we're all growing a seed that we got from him in his memory.

We've called it Grand Daddy George. Hehe

• Like Like x 6
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  12. whatever it is you've got it to reach beast mode...nice work!

• Like Like x 1
  13. [​IMG] this is cmh. 315 watt bulbs.

• Like Like x 5
  14. [​IMG] same strain under 1000 watt sunmaster MH.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Less watts same yield?

• Like Like x 1
  16. [​IMG] I can get my 1000 watt lights within 15 inches of canopy. Most led comparisons I see put the 1000 watt lights at 36 inches from canopy versus 12 for their led's. That's hardly an apples to apples comparison.

• Like Like x 3
  17. I wanna say I got a similar yield to my 1000w system with my cmh and better crystal count with the cmh due to less heat.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Lower branch cmh 20170619_185210.jpg 20170619_185216.jpg 20170619_185223.jpg

• Like Like x 2