LED lights with pics

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by LEDguru, May 12, 2006.

1. What a top idea! whoever thought of growing under LEDs mustve been a genius! Low power consumption, no need for a fan (yet), low heat output! surely thats what everyones been waiting for?
    If only it was cheaper though :eek:
    I'll be watching thi svery closely

2. hmmmm interesting, that's for sure..........but all in all i'd say they should be lower to the soil, and a thicker stem, after 4 weeks with just the 400 HPS, there's no reason that they shouldn't have about a 8-10mm stem, real handy for heavy flowering...........they look healthy and if nurtured right will give an ok yield.........but by now, you should be thinking more of "how can i increase my yields with what i already have and the skills i've learned".........unless you already have lots of weed and can experiment, but i'd be worried about........"what if it doesn't work out the way i planned and now i've gotta buy weed, insted of being free".............what kinda distance have you got that HPS from them?.........and what's your radiant and ambiant temps at the top of the plants?................Peace out...............Sid

3. Sid & mister2!

Welcome to the party pal. Long time no see Sid. Yeah, I got plenty of weed to smoke. This is just an experiment. I wanted to see what my friends LED light can do because if it takes off, I might go into the business of selling them with him. I know they will work in growing weed because he has had people grow weed under them.

Currently they are about 1-3 inches away from the LED lights. Ambient temps are about the same top to bottom; about 72-74 degrees. The bulbs themselves do get pretty hot so if they touch the plants it will burn them. However, the design of the hood allows easy dissipation of heat off the top of the hood.

My friend was also right; a fan is not really mandatory when growing with this LED. This last week the stems really thickened up and the plant has really filled out with side branches and all. These pictures were taken today at about week 3.5 and the tall one is about 9 inches tall. I also noticed the cotyledon leaves starting to yellow so I gave them half strength on the ferts I listed on page 2 of this thread.

Attached Files:

4. Im absolutely amazed. This is great and Im seriously considering doing this right now.

SmknVTEC, how well does this work for flowering stage? I know your plants aren't there yet, but what about your associate that said people did get a successful harvest?

Do you think this will work for a 12plant flower/4plant veg constant grow?

5. Hey Eckolaker,

Thanks for joining. This light will flower bud. I have seen pictures of my friends friends dogs former roommate who had some nice bud. The light that I have hanging over head would be good for no more than four plants grown in pots no bigger than the ones I currently have. That is an estimate of course because I have not done this.

What I do notice is that the plants do lean a bit. I think that might be because that second light I have hanging vertically on the side of the plants, causes them to reach for that light. I might turn it off, I think it is too far away and makes them reach.

Your 12 plants is probably out of the question unless you do a micro SOG and keep them in super small pots, flower early, and use both lights I have shown except mounted properly. Once they are ready for flower I will switch on the red lights and we will see what happens.

Oh I forgot to mention; being the LED's give off so little heat and I am not using a fan, I only have to water once every 10 days or so, so the setup really is a no hassle deal. Room temp still 72 degrees with constant 50% humidity, 8 inch pots and to water I pour in a half gallon split between the two so 1/4 gallon each. This is enough to totally saturate the soil and have a bit of run off water drain out from below.

6. I am sure these must be the future of indoor growing. Low power consumption, so bills will be less of an indicator, low heat output, so less problems with ventilation and heat signatures.

Just need the cost to come down.

But I will stick with the sun.

7. Lookin good Vtec. Can't wait till flower starts. Are you expecting thick dense buds?

8. Oh yeah Spanish,

Nothing can compete with the sun. Kamel, the buds should be relatively dense. Not like with the sun or an HID but probably more on par with some CFL's.

9. Hey guys.

I can't believe it. After I watered them with the nutes, they just took off growing. The big one is about 12 inches and the other 10 inches. This Sunday marks week four that they are alive and as I said earlier my HPS grow usually gets to 12 inches tall by week 3-4. Therefore, I think that I am thoroughly impressed by this little light. At what point would you guys top it and do you think I should top it?

10. looks nice and sexy

11. This intrigues me. If they were priced affordably (not cheap, I expect them to cost more than an HPS) and they prove to work well, I could see myself ordering a couple in the spring. I hope to be growing by then.
    I would rather save up a little more for lights and save on my power bills. No need to get anyones atention ;)

12. #52 SmknVTEC, Oct 18, 2006
    Last edited by a moderator: May 22, 2010
    I agree Blazin, Thanks 2 Door.

Here are the plants at exactly 30 days old. The smaller one is 12-13 inches tall and the larger one a few inches taller. They have a few areas to take clones from (if I knew the sex) and the bigger one has an area of alternating nodes. The fan leaves are reaching up for the light indicative to me that they need more light and they certainly could use some LST. Unfortunately I am unable to LST at this time. Node length on the bigger one is a little long IMHO but the smaller one is curiously normal. I will put under 12/12 to see sex and put back into veg because I go under the knife in a bit here so I don't want to flower during that time. Oh and after I have determined sex, providing at least one girl, I will transplant to a 3 gallon pot.

Attached Files:

13. #53 senior_ganj, Oct 18, 2006
    Looking great man. Everything looks good, and isn't that about what kind of growth u said u had with ur HID?

If this is the case, HID lights better watch out, LED's are gonna be the wave of the future. Can't wait to see sex...

14. #54 SmknVTEC, Oct 19, 2006

Hey Ganj,

Thanks buddy. Yes, growth seems similar to the HPS but, these are a tad bit stretched still I think. .

Tonight they had first day of 12/12. I hope one of them is female.

15. Usually, males grow extremely quickly to insure that they create pollen before the female plants are able to sex. This at least has been the case in my past outdoor grows. Females tend to grow a little slower and create more bushiness. I also find that males often have a greater distance between nodes than females. Hopefully this helps if you plan on cloning females!

16. the best cure for that is a good batch of females :hello:

good luck with everything

17. pls tell day+hr; u know gcers will be there
    and on yr ass to get back 2 business afterwards:D

btw, some people say to use all the lights u have, all thru the grow
    also,1 site w/$20 strings has the 2 kinds of white that in flouros are the 2 ends of the spectrum. the blue+red they have r that color UNlit. seems that would act as a filter. + they're cheaper; why would that be?

i appreciate the hell outa yr resarch...have 10 seeds going in today. have 80w of 6500k +69w of2700 . was thinking of getting 3] 105w 4100k to begin with.....$60

enuf 4 now +rep if i haven't already:wave:

18. Thanks Ganj and reasoner
    Hey guys,
    Both female. And I topped the tall one today. It was 18 inches tall. I took 2 clones off the topped portion so we will see if the top will root.

19. This has got to be the coolest most usefull thing i have ever seen for stealth grow ops i cant wait to see the plants flowering keep up the good work.

20. congrats on the females:D ...good luck w/ babies:D [someday i'll get sick of green smiley]:D
    what do u use for cloning? i have GreenFuse in my cart-organic root stimulator/fungicide..$20/360 gals worth. sounds good,anyway..Explosive root growth!:eek:
    have 3 carts going,+ about to decide on lights; thinking i'll just go blue/red thruout, 600w of each for 8sq ft....?my fingerr is poised over checkout button.[gotta do some math first]