LED lights. How far to keep them from the plants?

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by Luke K, Dec 27, 2017.

1. Hey everyone!

So I figured I would start a new thread as I haven't been able to find much info on this topic and could definitely use some guidance as a first-time grower.

Here's my overall plan and where I currently am in the process:

Germinated 8/8 seeds successfully, planted in 1.5x1.5 rockwool cubes
    Put in propagator with 6x 23w CFL lights 24/0
    Roots began come out of the 1.5" cubes
    Moved to 3x3 cubes that are still sitting in my propagator
    Replaced CFL's with 1200w LED Viparspectra dimmable
    Plants were 12" under the light. Had the veg setting on 50% brightness and the bloom setting on 0%...mistake?
    Put on a 20/4 light schedule
    Three days have passed and the plants haven't grown or changed at all
    Some plants began drooping
    After 4 days (today) I moved back to the CFL lights

The plan is to allow the roots to begin coming out of the 3" cubes then put in pots with clay pebbles and begin my nutrient schedule using a 2x4 ebb and flow system.

My concern is that I have no idea whether the LED's were burning the plants or weren't powerful enough. I see a lot of threads containing info on 300w, 600w etc. but nothing on the 1200w and whether or not they are good at all for the early growth stage. Should the light be further than 12", 24" 36"? If so, what level of brightness for LED's with a veg and bloom setting?

How long would you recommend sticking with the CFL's if I just go that route? It's much easier to use the LED's so if anyone can share any experiences with LED at this early stage that would be very appreciated.

Thanks for your help everyone

2. From my experience I put the LED's as close as I can without hurting the footprint and losing light on the outside edges of whatever plants are under it. If you hold your hand at canopy level and it doesn't get too warm for comfort, it shouldn't hurt a plant that has a week or two under it's belt.

I'd guess you didn't have enough light on them, although I've never really done a transplant and a light change at the same time, usually let the plants stabilize before changing other parts of their environment.

I have plants grow up into my LED's all the time, I've only found damage from actual contact, although I personally do keep them about 12-15" away once they get bigger simply because I need the light that far to not lose footprint.

How old are the plants since sprouting?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Worst case scenario say you move the light back to 24" is that when they do start to grow they stretch. At which point you keep an eye on them and move the light down some accordingly if needed.

J Evergreen

4. Here are some pictures. The growth began slowing once I put under the LED's but it's hard to say, as I also moved them into a larger rockwool cube. The leaves began drooping even with the brightness at 50%. I've heard that over watering isn't really an issue with rockwool, but just to be safe I have only been submersing the cubes once every two days and only for a couple seconds each time so they get a good soak.

5. They are 13 days old since germinated seeds were planted.

6. How will I know if they are being burnt from the LEDs? They wouldn't droop right?

7. To be honest though they seem like they want more light to me. I may be wrong here but usually when my leaves droop it's either because I watered and forgot to turn the LED back on and they don't get as much light or if I forget to water them for a few days. I usually never overwater so I can't help with that. I am more of an underwaterer. Especially when I've had my greens. :confused_2: Best of luck. Hope your babies grow strong.

J Evergreen

8. This is what I think also, at 2 weeks they should be able to handle full strength light, and as long as the canopy isn't at a level that's hot to your hand it should be good to go.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  9. No... I was trying to help you understand what light burn looked like. Sorry for the confusion if that's what you got from that. Wasn't what was intended. They look fine to me. Better yet they look like they need more light like I've said earlier. If they were truly getting burnt you'd know.

J Evergreen

10. Oh gotcha thanks! So I just moved them back to the LED. Have the blue and whites on 95% and 12" away. I can feel the heat more now so hopefully that will do the trick.

Appreciate everybody's help! I'm sure i'll have more questions soon.

11. Turn both switches to 100percent start light at 20inchs away and move closer day by day

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk