LED lights for 5x9 foot veg area

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Canna Smurf, Nov 16, 2018.

1. Looking to lower the power bill by changing my veg area from 2x 1000w HIDs to the equivalent in leds. Currently I am leaning toward getting 3x of the Migro 400 systems due to their even light spread and ability to direct the cobs in different directions. I also see the advantage of being able to change out a cob if one burns out compared to something like a board system. I am preferring the 400 systems over two of the 600 systems because the cash installments would be smaller and I would better able to afford the fixture price.

Will this be a decent set up for such a large area?

Other ideas?

2. COB or QB at 20+ watts per sq ft is probably the best lighting right now.!
    800-1000w of either would do great.!!

• Like Like x 1
  3. having half the light energy is just most of the savings,
    there's also... no bulbs to buy and less cooling needed.!

4. The fixture looks cool as shit and after looking at the chip manufacturer I can't really say they are bad.

They cost a lot, and some of that is just branding and nice machine work.

For $2000 you could get and 12 x 96 QB for $1200ish and 3 x HLG-480-54A for $450ish.

This setup would have room to breath and is just an example of the cost difference with DIY.

Another example is 40 QB 120/132 for $1300 and a handful of drivers and you could literally coat your tent in leds.

I must be fucking high. :love-m3j:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Admitedly I am too intimidated to go the diy route.

6. I was too intimidated to do the diy thing myself due to my lack of electrical experience, but you're literally putting one wire here, and one wire there, and that's it. And tbone and soil2coco will help you out if needed. I have a 4×4×6.5 tent and will have spent less than $500 to replace my 1000w HID going the diy route. Just something to consider.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. The hardest part is figuring out which driver needs parallel and which needs series, and tbone helped me out with that one and now I’ve got a small tree sitting under 330 watts of qb [​IMG]in my house! It’s well worth it!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 3
  8. QBs could work if you put a bunch spread out and won't break the bank.

Also you probably don't need that much wattage for veg. You could probably get away with like 300W LED per 5x4.5 or 600W LED for equivalent to 1kw-1.2kw HID.

If you're too intimidated to do DIY theres maybe timber that has diy kits preassembled.

Maybe check out Raymatix. I was gonna build my own but just got hooked up with one through a friend of a friend who swears by them. I can't give my blessing yet since I haven't completed anything yet. Gonna fire it up tomorrow. Apparently you just fill out a little form about your grow about what medium you're using, what you're using now for a light, home or commercial, and check a box that you are compliant and legal with all laws and accept to be on their email subscription list and they will give you a light super cheap as a first time customer. I think gather market info on what people are growing with but nothing too personal and get the product out there. Its one time, limited quantities, and discretionary but just go to their website www.raymatix.com and in the request form of say you'd like to apply for the flagship discount and they'll email it over.

9. GrowersLights.com will assemble the QB kits, costs between $25 and $45 depending on the kit.
    Horticulture Lighting Group
    i ordered 3 QB's from them (no assembly) and was very happy with the purchase,
    speedy delivery, nice/safe packaging, and great support email.!

• Like Like x 1