LED lights and climate control

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by dagdu420, May 10, 2017.

1. Hey folks,
    So my question is what is more effective and efficient for indoor climate control, AC or HVAC? My room is about 20 x 10 ft with 12 ft of ceiling height.
    And which LED lights are the cheapest one with higher efficiency? I have 3 brands currently in my mind which goes by the name Mars Hydro, King LED & bestva. Need your suggestions and experience folks.
    Thanks.

2. thats a huge room. I'm jealous!
    Your climate control depends on your climate. For instance, my grow is in tents in my basement. Basement is fully finished, and always stays pretty cool. I use T5 fixtures which don't do much of anything to the temp. With lights off my tents are at about 65 degrees, with lights during the day it gets up to about 75.
    My basement by default, since its underground, is a little humid, however I haven't had any humidity issues with any of my grows.
    LED is not going to give of much heat at all. BUt, you are looking at covering a huge space, so you will need some very, very very nice and very very expensive LED's if you are going that route. Most will probably recommend getting an HPS light or something similar. More bang for your buck.
    So your climate control needs will depend on light selection, and your actual climate. If you live in a hot area, then AC is probably all you need. If you live in a cold climate you would maybe need hvac to keep the room at temp during the cold months.

3. Dont go cheap on your lights....besides nutrients lights are your number one thing for producing yeilds.

Also for a 10x20 room you will need about 10000-15000watts of lights. With that many lights you will need some serious cooling power.

Having just built a grow room there is alot youre not thinking about. Do tons of reasearch and plan everything. Always spend the extra money for better products and always go bigger then needed. Truat me on this

4. I live in a hot area, had my first run with the 400w HPS, and it totally screwed my grow as it was producing too much heat, temperature during the day time reached up to 93 and the night was around 83-85 which is too hot, my pure sativa turned into Hermione. :/ so I decided to buy some LED, there is a huge range of them out in a market but the well renowned brands like Kind, California lights and black dog are too expensive and out of my budget. I have around 1200-1400$ budget for my lights. Is there any other way to satisfy my requirements staying within my budget.
    Thanks.

5. You could just do a closed co2 setup and run a small ac unit if your temps skyrocket

6. normally temperature where I live are between 77-104, and I hardly think co2 will keep them down.

Thanks. :)

7. The co2s to make it so your temps can be up to 95° without hurting the plants the small ac units to keep the spikes over 95° down

8. I was planning to install 1.5 ton split air conditioning too maintain the room. But the main problem I'm having now is choosing the best LED in my budget. Which is around 1200-1400$.

9. A decent led will cost you a ton....

A california light works 880 is 1600$
    A black dog led 1000w is 2300$ ...

You may just wanna go with hps/mh

1000w ballest 150-200$ for top end models....

10. you could put together a led fixture if decent at putting things together and make it cheaper and have quality. i have a mars reflector 144 and they do get somewhat hot, nothing like hps but anyways, with bloom switch on also it feels like my head is getting a sun burn while training lol

11. HPS consumes too much power and electricity isn't cheap where I live. Last time when I was on HPS 12/12 the monthly bill was around 50-60$ for a single light.

12. Any sites do you know particularly?

13. Well you gotta make a choice.... Spend a pretty penny now on leds or spend a pretty penny on electricity.

In the end you will probaly need more leds vs hps to get the coverage you need which in the end will end up being close to the same amount of watts. Only thing i see leds saving money on is cooling costs.

I runs hps/mh and it is a nightmare keeping things cool. I wish i would have gone led but did not have 4\5000$ for some good leds. So i went hps maybe in the future i can get some leds.

And it sounds like to me as of now you dont have the money for leds at this time.

Youre going to buy some cheaper leds and they arnt going to produce to your liking. So youre going to have to buy better ones and end up spending twice as much rather then spending the big bucks now...

Im not trying to be a dick im just trying to put things into perspective for you. I just built a grow space that i though would cost around 5000$ and now im a couple grand over that and atill need stuff.

• Like Like x 1
  14. led light is messured different that flouros or hps . not in lumens and cant exactly go by watts, have to know the par ppf ppfd to determine the ammount of lights your plants gonna need for the space. like i thik the mars 144 i have has a par value of around 900 at 18 inches or something. im not too technical on it just been reading thw science of it all

15. I just got a 1000 watt HPS I'm growing in a closet I plan on turning it down. Just doing 2 plants But how high do I put the light?

16. Take a look at Amare LEDs, I have had platinums and Mars and it kills them both in intensity and growth rate... Also in price. Have a solarpro9 in a 5x5 and it never gets above 79 unless I allow it to and stays between 69-72 during lights out.
    No AC, which is huge when you're talking power consumption and energy costs when comparing to that of the AC/HID combination.
    Also, we just installed an 11 panel solar array and we're running around 1500-1600w between all equipment. Our electric bills for the last 2 months have been a total of $2.39.... For the whole household! Unreal...

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

17. #18 Diatt, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    With a space like that you need to think what your end goals are. I am guessing you want to produce a lot and quickly.. So are you spliting the room up into other flower rooms or veg room?

And your cheapest buy in price will be 1000 HPS units and co2 with an AC(You will need this regardless of LED or HPS. Wattage is heat.). This will allow you to have a few grows to be able to buy other lights(after more research..) that you feel good about going with. Either way Co2 is what will improve your yields, allow you to run higher temps with no extra power added. LEDs still do get hot as well and they cost a shit ton of money.

But if you have the money to drop on the LEDs and thats what you have your mind set to by all means. Just saying that you need about 8 1000 watt HPS(if doing the full room) or 4 with light movers. At 250 a pop for xxxl hoods, that's 2000 add 1k more for co2 and a controller, thats $3,000. If you have to buy 8 LED units at $1000(Some go even to 2500) each thats $8,000 just for that. And LED with no Co2 is not going to get you more then HPS with Co2. Now you can choose to go with Co2, but then you still have to use an AC unit because you are in a closed sealed room.

Again if you are just doing this for your self(and a small village) and have the money to spend, go with the LEDs. But it's a much bigger buy in cost vs something you can try and upgrade later(when even more are on the market). There are a lot of things coming to the market now that things are moving very fast with cannabis.

Just some food for thought.

• Like Like x 2
  18. #19 Diatt, May 10, 2017
    Last edited: May 10, 2017
    How many golf cart batteries you using to store all that power and how much power are you storing? If I remember correctly you can store a bit of power but only able to use half of what you store. I would think you need a big space for all of that power.

I like the idea of solarpower been wanting to learn more about it. I don't mean to pry but can I ask how much you spent on setting that up or a ball park? I read about it here and there but I haven't gone in depth with it yet.

And I mean yes it's a bit cheaper. To run a 1k hps for me is .10 an hour($36 a month). To run my 800 watt LED(1k hps replacement) it's .08 an hour. I save 2 cents per hour. Of course the less heat is nice(still hot), but when I add Co2 it really wont matter because I will be using an AC either way.

And even so if you had say 8 units all at 800 watts. That's still 6400 watts and 6400 watts is hot and would need an AC unit either way.

But yes, the bill still still come out cheaper for LED, again the buy in cost is super duper high. Yes you need to replace a bulb every 6 months to a year. But also yes LEDS do break and there are times you need to send it back to the company for 2 weeks leaving you with no light. Most issues with an HPS might be a bad ballast, but not often.

19. I'm actually not too sure of the cost though, I can find out. I was very fortunate to receive the arrays through a grant program and didn't pay a dime.

I have a friend with a similar setup and he invested $20,000.00, he's a commercial grower and said it payed itself off in a year. I believe he runs all next light megas in there atm.

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum