LED Lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by igrade, May 12, 2011.

1. You should check out the following brands of LEDs as they are the major players.

Lighthouse Hydro Blackstar
    GLH
    357 Magnum
    Isis
    Black Dog
    Stealth Led
    Pro Source
    Haight Solid State
    Advanced LED

2. Good conversation here. Thanks for that list of major players in the LED market couchcommando.

3. Yeah I've heard nothing but good things about Lighthouse Blackstar, Stealth LED, Pro Source, and Advanced LED!

(Personally love Lighthouse Blackstar b/c they make a nice and AFFORDABLE product!)

4. From the list I have seen completed journals for 357 magnum, GLH, Advanced LED, and Blackstar. Are there finished journals for Blackdog, Stealth, or Por Source?

5. I know this is unrelated to LEDs but I didn't want to start a new thread.

Ive got a 400 watt hps and 2 85 watt cfls... How many plants can this support comfortably?

Thanks!?!

6. Depends how you're setup. With a vertical colosseum grow you can surround the light with like 15-20 plants. As long as they're all getting direct light.

7. If you guys are interested in seeing completed journals, I highly suggest you visit bubbleponics.com. Plenty of GLH and Blackstar journals. Also RIU has an amazing grow that's just about completed with 2 240w Blackstars (Kush Groove and the Blackstar) I am in no way recruiting members, just do alot of research on LED's. One more sight that has a ton of LED grows is 420 Mag. Someone asked about Blackdog and Advanced. I believe both can be found over at RIU. I personally am a skeptic and rather frugal but after seeing some of the Blackstar grows, I went out and bought a 240w panel. If it produces with a couple plants I will be in the market for another. Hope this helps..:smoke:

8. #28 Arcticgrower11, May 25, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 15, 2016
    Just an overhead light with adjustable wings in 5 gal pots with FFOF cut with perilite. I've got 11 clones (assuming a few won't make it) and a few bubba kush seeds that I'm hoping to get 2 fems out of. I'd like to have at 8 plants but not sure if I'm overshooting how much the light would support

9. When your figuring out how many plants will fit, a common rule of thumb is 100 watts for your first plant and 50w for each additional. I'd say you could grow 4 medium sized plants comfortably. A 400w HPS is good for areas 3x3 and under.

10. #30 Arcticgrower11, May 25, 2011
    Ok, so the area is about 3.5x2.5. I also have 3 85 watt cfls putting total wattage to 655. With your calc I could get 12 but 5 gal pots should grow bigger plants (not that it is my goal just bigger kholas :) ) so with the 3 cfls the closet should be able to handle 8 huh?

That's for the advice

11. I wanted to add that HGL lights should be avoided. The owner Cammie Mckenzie had a beef with one of her customers and turned over the customers personal info to the sherrifs department. She also opened several companies in the racing industry and never delivered on motors prommissed to customers. I will say that there are some good journals with her lights but believe she is on the run from LE and that company will most likely cease to exist in the near future. Think your lights are warranteed, think again.

12. I have a 400w CMH that comfortably throws enough light for 4 medium sized plants. Anymore your going to have to give them a real short veg or they'll get out of hand in that space. I have two 85w CFLs too that are used on the sides. I really think you'll have your hands full with 8 plants. Just make sure you flip them into flower relatively small.

13. #33 Arcticgrower11, May 25, 2011
    Ok this is just what I was looking for. I'd like to throw them over at about 3 maybe 4 weeks max. what size pots are you using? Any idea of what kind of yield your getting?

14. Forwhat you want to do I would suggest 8 2 gallon pots to fit in that space. Veg for no longer than 3 weeks or when they are about a foot tall flip them. I can't give you a yield as strains vary. Look to get about an ounce off each plant.

15. Edit: If I was you I'd abandoned soil and think of getting one Waterfarm at about $60, and be prepared for 10-16 oz yields.

16. This might help. We have 8 here at 3 weeks in the closet in 3 gal pots, these are going to be put under a 600 watt hps in another room and then we'll put the clones in for the same veg time but switch to 400 watt hps instead of the 600

Attached Files:

17. That will work. Just remember to keep them small or it will become a jungle in there and you might be overwhelmed. I'm a fan of fewer bigger plants but alot of growers prefer to have more smaller plants. The only reason I like smaller plants in numbers is you can switch up the strains for variety.

18. #38 Arcticgrower11, May 25, 2011
    I completely agree with you on both points, I like fewer big plants but I have 4 strains right now and can't decide which ones I want to grow! Tangerine dream, super lemon haze, big band, or bubba kush. Thanks for the input couch! I have a grow journal I started, should start to get interesting in a month when buds grow on one set and I finally decide on strains for the second set.

19. Okay, Im very new to this subject and am currently using 500w of CFLs to grow in a box. I am wondering if LEDs that are sold in home improvement stores work well for small time grows? The prices are cheaper yes but Im wondering if the technology is somewhat comaprable? Here is a link for something I saw and was wondering if I used a few of them, would this work? Thanks;).

Shop SYLVANIA 75-Watt Equivalent Indoor/Outdoor LED Flood Light Bulb at Lowes.com=

20. Ha, no I doubt that would work nearly as well as a 90w horticulture LED. I'm no expert but the color is soft-white which isn't really what you want. If anything it could be used as supplemental lighting for the last week or two of flowering maybe? Considering the LED isn't supposed to lose power for 50k hours it'd be worth it to spend an extra $200-250 for a proper light.