LED light questions! Please help.

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by TMNToker, Nov 8, 2012.

1. Goodevening, GC. It's been a minute...

I've had a few successful HID grows now and have experienced the insane cost of electricity. I would really like to move toward LEDs now and think I have decided on the brand Blackstar unless someone can convince me otherwise.

My current setup consists of a 4'x8' (about 6 feet tall) mylar tent for flowering, and a 4'x4'(6.5'h) tent for vegging. I also have a smaller 2'x'4'5' tent I will use for a cloning setup when the time comes.

Right now I have 6 small plants under a 432w T5 in the veg tent. They are doing fine and still have a few weeks until I flip to flowering but I would like to have new LEDs by then so I don't have to run any HIDs this grow.

So my questions are in regards to lighting the larger 4'x8'x6' tent with LEDs for flowering 6-8 plants at a time. Initially I thought I would use 3 of the new 2012 135w Blackstar LEDs New 2012 135W Lighthouse Hydro Blackstar LED Grow Light 3W Flowering LED'S | eBay but I'm thinking that may not be enough wattage for the amount of plants and space I have. So now I'm looking more into the 240w + 500w Blackstars..

Would 2 of the 240w units light 6-8 medium large plants in this space well enough to produce an ounce or more per plant? Or would I need 2 of the 500w units to ensure a successful harvest? If I can get my questions asked and answered, and some LEDs ordered I will do a journal.

Working with some nice strains this time around:hello:

I would appreciate if someone could point me in the right direction! :smoking:

TMNT

2. I have heard mixed things about them. I personally have not tried them. I know that the bad reviews are really bad, and the good reviews arent that great. I use Pro Source 180's i like them a lot. but it takes some getting use to. they are completly different the HID

3. For the size of your tent You would probably be good with the 500W and the 2 240w.

But since you will be making a pretty noticeable investment I would go with a more reputable brand which offers better warranties than BlackStar. I believe they offer 1 or 2 years, so it's not that much for a light that is supposed to last for 8+ years. I believe they use mostly Chinese parts... but then again, most companies do.

BlackDog LEDs offer limited lifetime warranties and I've seen great reviews about them. But they are a bit pricey :p

High Quality LED Grow Lights | Black Dog LED | Platinum XL-U 1800$... but goddamn it's 1500W(nominal) light hahaha

4. I've purchased several top of the line Blackdogs - Platinum XL's. Half of them had to be sent back to the manufacturer because they were either faulty right out of the box or stopped working properly within 3-4 months. Even worse, when one Blackdog was returned to me after several months of waiting for it to be repaired, I turned it on just to find out that rows of LED's weren't working properly. This series of LED lighting is the biggest waste of time and money. AVOID!

5. I use a CA Light Works 800 and it is great.

Draws the same amount of power as my 600w did.

Light is superior and no more changing bulbs.

The harvest quality and potency is superb.