Led light fix?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Blown Goat, Feb 19, 2020.

1. So I have 2 Advanced LED 400w led lights and each has 2-4 LEDs that have burned out. I would like to go ahead and pull out the LEDs and replace with cobs. I'm just not sure what cobs I would need. I have what seems like 8 separate drivers per light so I take it that's 50w per driver or am I wrong? 20200219_101723.jpg

Sent from my SM-N950U using Grasscity Forum mobile app

2. You plan on soldering in the LED your self ?
    I don't think you can solder in a COB Chip ,,, COB is mainly a technology and not so much the maker of the chip even though COB does Make their own Chips its a technology that allot LED makers use , and even Samsung Diode/chips/led's use .
    And most COB style LED's are not soldered in they are made in the board .

3. I meant pull out the LEDs completely and then replace with a few cobs. Basically the way they mod the Mars lights

4. I haven't ever tried that and cant advise ..
    So you have total of how many lights out and on how many boards ..
    Personally I use Meanwell Power suppliers
    And I like Samsung LED's ,, if I had your light depending on how many lights are burnt out I make that sucker go as long as possible and then rebuild it with HLG boards and Meanwell power supplier from TRC electronics .

5. Theres 2 burned out on one light and 4 on the other. I've just had these sitting around for a while and finally have some time to mess around with it. I'm running QB's for my grow but wanted to play with this idea

6. I see ,,,Good chance you replacing a diode isn't going to work ..
    You might look up the difference of a cob style chip and a original style LED .
    Should give you a good idea how the boards are made ...so you got a idea what your up against .
    PS your qb's ( Samsung LED diodes are of COB technology .

• Like Like x 1
  7. I suppose I could put in another led but was after something besides blurple

8. These drivers are very soft at 600ma, if you use a 54v board or two 24v boards in series you can get about 30watts from each. Did you want this for veg/flower/full and what size space are you working with?

For instance you could power a qb96elite with one but since its only 600ma it will be enough light to flower a 1x1 maybe a tad more. I'm actually running four qb96elites running even softer at 25w each, flowering a 2x2.

• Like Like x 1
  9. I would only run these for supplemental lighting, which is why I thought why not try adding some cobs to it. I'm using a 4x4 tent currently running 4 hlg QB288 v2 rspec lights. I do have a 5x5 I'm wanting to move into though

10. Thanks Scoobie!!!!! Those are perfect, I really wanted to get rid of the blurple panels and upgrade. Those seem like the perfect match these lights are 32" long so plenty of space to put quite a few if those in it.

• Like Like x 1