LED lamp distance ?

Discussion in 'First Time Marijuana Growers' started by thc kills stress, Sep 26, 2014.

1. I just got a 300watt led light and idk how far should it be from the plant and I also have a florescent light which is 2in away

2. good question! I have a LED too, not as big as yours mines only a 165w, but I have the same question as you. Not sure how far it should be from the plant.

Real eyes. Realize. Real lies.

3. hopefully someone answers

4. #4 DazedAndStoned, Sep 27, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2014
    Get them as close as you can without burning em. I have my 2 90 W UFOs about 20" away for veg, and people using the same diodes as me can have them right up against the Lens during flower. If you have 3W or 5W diodes they may burn being closer than 5 or 10" away, all depends on your lights diodes.

Sent from my Spaceship using the GrassCity App.

5. If it's one of the generic Chinese 300 watt lamps (which are actually made by the same company that makes mars lamps) you will start burning your leaves when it's closer than about 12"-18".  That is assuming you spray your plants right before the lights turn off and you don't spray wen the lights are going to stay on.  If the leaves on your plants are wet when the lights are on then you need to back the lights away even more otherwise the water will create hot spots and cause burning.  Keep in mind that the type of burn you get from LED's is different than what you get from other lights.  The leaves get white or tan spots and they may also get small holes or what looks like tears.  Many people that burn with LED's think they have a bug infestation but it's actually a problem with the lights being too close.

The actual distance needed is largely dependent on the brand of lamp and type of LED's used in it.  Some 300 watt LED's are actually 300 watts and need to be significantly farther away from your plant than the lamps advertised at 300 watts but only draw 180 watts of electricity.  If you got a name brand light contact them and say you are growing an indoor herb garden and need to know how close the light should be to the herbs in order to get maximum light penetration without burning the plants.

6. My current canopy is 13" and thats utilizing SolarFlare led lights, which are 5 watt diodes.