LED/HYDRO EXPERIMENTAL RUN. HARSH TRUTH WELCOME!!!

Discussion in 'Hydroponic Growing' started by SourKat, Aug 15, 2018.

1. This is a finished grow from last year. Interested in hydro but this turned me off so I figured why not ask others that would know! Looking for feedback/input/thoughts, whatever. i wish i had taken more photos but hopefully you will get the jist.

HYDRO SETUP - gravity fed to containers, containers drained into bottom tub. 5x8/10 foot enclosed trailer.
    Lighting LED (multiple lights with two/three overhead added halfway)
    Medium: Turfus
    Nutrients: unknown (see below.)
    Containers: 15ish gallon container (top with net pot like thing underneath the lid) + 30ish gallon tub + trashcan + float valve (trashcan was a tiny bathroom like one) x5
    THESE ARE ESTIMATES BECAUSE I FORGOT THEM...
    CO2 was added with zero to low regulation; as high as 3600 with 2400-2600 being the norm...
    temps: 78F veg/72F bloom (I turned up after co2 got crazy, 80-85F)
    Humidity: 60-75 veg/50 > Bloom
    strains: bluedream x 3

Co. Haze from seed x 2
    :p
    main res (I would say 40-50 gallon) was gravity fed to the tubs based on the look of the medium (turfus), dry = more water.
    Cycles were 1 hour, 45 minutes, 30 minutes, 15 minutes (or close to). So every x minutes the water would cycle on for x seconds (until the water reached the top of the container) and so on and so fourth.

CO2 LEVELS: this is a sealed environment but the tank was not regulated (the fitting broke about halfway through but it "didn't matter") and ppms reached as high as 3600 or so. for a 5x8 foot trailer that seems excessive... it was on all the time but i was told it "didnt matter, ppms are fine to be that high".... There was an air conditioner but I'm certain there was no air in/out vent (unsure if that is even needed in a closed environment, hence it being closed)
    i disagree and believed the plants suffered from this in the end. if i am wrong please let me know your opinions!

the next two really grind my gears,

NUTES: the “organic” nutrients i used looked like white and blue laundry detergent, or pool shock... what it really is i will never know because that was another thing he and his partner were trying to patent... i used that the whole grow... the w-h-o-l-e grow guys. is that even possible or suggested? i have learned otherwise and would like to hear if you disagree.

this was the first true hydro setup I've ever ran. i'm used to growing in soil that is mixed with a bunch of stuff and feeding plants a variety of things throughout the cycle, strictly organic. Whether or not to pH in organics is a personal choice but I've always monitored them. i hear in hydro its a must since there is no filter between the roots and the nutrient water, plants are more prone to lockouts and what not if the ph is off...
    I was told "you dont have to, ph/ppm doesnt matter because the roots arent sitting in water.” ...
    THAT MAKES NO SENSE TO ME AND YES THEY DO SIT IN WATER... With weird pool shock water! So when the water was filling and the ph was a 3 or a 9 that's okay? Even if it was at 7, the growth stage would be hindered, right? Again, let me know otherwise.

If I can think of more I will add it but here y'all go.

i transplanted my outdoor clones from soil to the turfus (see attached); blue dream x 3 seed starts x 2 (was also told they were feminized but upon further inspection i had to pull one out, thankfully i caught it in time but come on..!)

Thanks much in advance. (if you're really harsh thank you still!)

2. [​IMG]
    Clones!

[​IMG]
    Seed starts

Before transplant

3. Don't know what you did to those plants .

You can see the stems of my plants ..
    I don't think you got your lighting right .

I grow aeroponic set up , at 6 to 8 weeks I am in flowering with 3 ft tall plants that are so full you cant see the stems .

4. Yeah could have been more than those wimpy stick things

Sent from my iPhone using Grasscity Forum

5. The buds didn't develop like I'm used to. They were tiny and small the blue dreams in the main indoor (strictly organic using soil I mixed) were a huge and plumped right up. They were under 1000 hps in 5 gallon crappy pots.

6. The ones outdoors were even more awesome! I didn't like this grow and I am trying to clear the information on whether or not I was right, wrong, in between.....

7. Growing in clay balls ,,, I am not using co2 I use Canna Terra nutrients and LED lights .
    I don't let the temp inside my two 4x8 grow tents get over 80 degrees F .

You need to grow healthy plants to experiment or compare to a different style grow systems .
    No offence but how can you compare your results , when its your first rodeo in using hydroponics and personally I don't think you did it right ?

Something is clearly wrong and your co2 levels need to be three time what normal co2 levels are for the plant to benefit .
    Co2 levels should be 4500 to 5000 PPM ,,, 1500 to 2000 co2 PPM is normal.

I still think you didn't do something right with the lights . Are you lowering the lights with in one foot of the plants ?

8. I did not do it right. Please read the above. This was a system i was asked to do. I leased Property for outdoor with an indoor facility.

This was a trailer brought to the property by some guy and asked me to see how it worked. With my knowledge and inputs he didn't care and let it go to the wayside. I mean come on, between the nutrients used and pH in hydro, along with a list of concerns, I did not gain anything but a headache from this. The worst part of the guy that bright the trailer doesn't even grow nor does he like it.

9. [​IMG]
    BB & OGP

[​IMG]

//uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/
    20180815/8a5bf4cbbd10ccb84e5e2a86f0c3ee37.jpg

INDOOR

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This year
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  10. So i was told that this trailer should yield 10 pounds in 6 tubs. B.S. shenanigans I'm calling. I wasn't told how long to veg but when he told me to flip I did.

The plants were healthy. They grew outside great (minus the critical Kush. It had problems towards the end) but they went from growing in metal halide lighting organic soil with organic teas and stuff I mixed to inorganic hydro Turfus stuff using LED's..

11. Your outdoor plants look fantastic , well done ………..

From what I gather , you didn't believe in this grow to start with you didn't listen to your self when you knew certain things were not right .

Still don't know why you created this thread , seems like you got a axe to grind .

12. I did not. It's tough for my opinion to come though, that's why I grow alone now haha.

I was curious on opinions of the lighting amount regarding led's and if my beliefs were on or off. Reassurance or to slap the wrong knowledge out my head and punch the good info in.

There are more photos I could show but you get it. I'm just here to share my experience and seek the opinions of others because whoa boy, I've been through the craziest stuff trying to grow and I'm sure others have been too

13. That's my big girl under a viparspectra par450 no shes not huge I know shes in a 2x4x5 vegged 2 months 10 days 11/13 lighting shes about 20in front to back and about 35inch left to right no it's not hydro but thought I'd share my led girl[​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk