Led Hid Conversion Chart

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by JoeGreen420, May 30, 2013.

1. I need to know if anyone has and can give....or knows where to get a HID to LED conversion chart. I already googled to no avail. Any help is appreciated.

Im in the process of trying to find out what LED wattage would be equal to 250 watts HID....

2. 250W hps + 10% for ballast starting up = 275 watts per hour, attempting to equate this to L.C.D is almost impossible, you will need to know how much does the led, driver/s wattage,  pc fans used in cooling the drivers....and then lets not discuss lumen to watt ratio so early in your venture.....I'd research this just on the lumens projected for hps vs led

3. First of all Don't listen to company's claims of a 180 watt beating out a 600 watt hid. and so-on and so-forth. 

Please do extensive research before just buying from any one manufacturer.. Some are just plain bogus.. I have seen plenty of people get discouraged by these lights.. Made me not believe in LED's myself. 

Try and keep the same wattage per square foot.. 40-50 watts is a good range to shoot for with led. I have two "180" watt LED's.. They really aren't 180 watts though! Only consume 155 watts at the wall with the fans on.. + fans take up 15 watts.. Leaving me with only 140 true watts out of a 180 watt light! Which only gives me 3 square feet with each light at 140 watts. So max I can grow with these are a 2.5x2.5 area with two lights! Which would be equal to a 250 watt hid.. Dunno about the results yet.. Still in the last week of veg. 

450 True LED watts would be par for a 3x3 tent.=50 watts/ft2  
    250 True LED watts would be par for 2.25x2.25 =50 watts/ft2

You could make the spread bigger but going under 40/ft2 is not recommended.

Hope this helps you in your venture.

Happy Growing

4. Is this LED spec worth it?

<span style="margin:0px;font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">Specification:</span>
    • <span style="margin:0px;font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">LED:  <span style="margin:0px;color:rgb(0,128,0);">38 pcs</span></span>
    • <span style="margin:0px;font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">Color: <span style="margin:0px;color:rgb(204,0,102);">Red + Blue</span></span>
    • <span style="margin:0px;font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">Input Voltage: AC110V</span>
    • <span style="margin:0px;font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">Power: 1.9W</span>
    • <span style="margin:0px;font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">Weight: 34g</span>
    • <span style="margin:0px;font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">Diameter: 5cm</span>
    • <span style="margin:0px;font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">Height: 6cm</span>
    • <span style="margin:0px;font-family:arial, helvetica, sans-serif;">Wavelength: Red: 660nm, Blue: 460nm</span>
    •  

5. That light only has two wavelengths. Less than two watts for 38 led's? sounds pretty sketchy to me.. Or are you trying to make an LED light?

Some lights are offering 5,7,11 and all the way up to 15 band wavelengths. The red and blue will grow.. But the quality in the plants will more than likely suffer. I would suggest an led light manufacturer to look at but that would be spamming. I don't have a completed LED grow journal yet but the lights I am currently using are doing pretty good. I'm not saying anything other than that on the lights Im using right now.. As I wake up everyday skeptical about the LED's but they seem to be doing OK.. Will have different lights to test soon. But like I said before if you wanna match an LED with HID just go watt for watt so you won't be unhappy! Even the lights I bought lied about how a lower wattage will beat out an 600 watt hid with 66% power savings

6. This may help: Economic Analysis of Greenhouse Lighting: Light Emitting Diodes vs. High Intensity Discharge Fixtures

As far as choosing which LED to buy: LED manufacturers often have charts of PAR umols provided by their light on their websites or promotional materials. With CO2 and canopy temps in the mid 80's (and everything else dialed), 1500 umols is ideal, and cannabis can take up to 2000 umols without problems sez this U. Mississippi study: The Key to Maximum Yield. My own experiments have confirmed this: with CO2 and temps in the mid 80's, I've run an LED rated at 1480 umol's at 12" hanging with the lenses 10-12" from the canopy, and was able to do so without burning or stress and produce more flower growth over the same light at 16-18" and high 70's temps. Expect some variation depending on the strain: Sativas are tropical plants so they can take more light than Indicas.

There's a huge range of difference in the intensity of light the diodes emit in LED's, so unless you know the specific capabilities of a light it's hard to say what height you should use and how big the footprint will be. For example, I also have some red bloom bulbs with 3 watt diodes chipped to about 1 watt, and I can run those as close as 4-6 inches without burning if everything else is dialed in. I know from my experience with these LED's and from talking to others who have used them that you can expect the footprint of an LED light to be only slightly larger than the light itself at the height you need to achieve 1000-1500 umol's. LED's generally have about 1/2 the footprint they claim.