led grow

Discussion in 'Grow Room Design/Setup' started by webehigh, Mar 14, 2013.

1. Does anybody have experience with large scale led grows? I've had 3 harvest using 6k hps and would like to add more power but I'm worried about electric and heat will be a problem plus ac units you know so I thought what if I scrapped the hps spent the money for some very nice leds I'm thinking seven 900 watt led panels kept around 10 inch from the plant for ultimate intensity. Will 6300 led watts equal around 15k hps and still save money also how would the heat be? I have 3 bedrooms btw and will be doing flip schedules only answer if u have experience with led thanks

2. Check out "Pro-Source"website! Best LED's on the market,they also have a 9min.tutorial on "Growing with LED's.Very informative!

3. #3 medicalneed, Mar 20, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 20, 2013
    My experience is small scale, but here it is:

- LED by itself only produces about the same watt to weight ratio as HPS.
    However, most only draw about 65% of what they say, so they save a little. More $ at start, similar in long haul.
    - HPS+Red LED had better results than either alone. Although this seems illogical and could be due to a good grow.
    - LED still produces heat, but more spread out so you can get the lights closer. Somewhat similar to T5's; they get hot over a larger area.

TLDR - they are nice.
    Try out 2 of them first, maybe add a supplemental 600w HPS or an induction light between them (might be better for you since they can be kept close to canopy).

4. thanks for the information i wanted to know some of these things too

5. More like 9 or 10K than 15K. Figure led times 1.5 for hid equivalent, roughly. The LED manufacturers overstate their equivalency.

6. Im growing right now 6 plants under 3 45 watts led 2 weeks into flowering and there great looking I have mine way up for my plant to stretch bt i also flip my plants so my veg room my plants sometime touch my LEDs for days or two nothing. Bad happens I only use LEDs and I love them save so much money when only using 1500 watts in my hole opp instead of 4000 watts

Attached Files: