Led Grow Lights?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by mokepot, Aug 25, 2006.

1. id go with a 240W lighthouse Blackstar ufo LED light

2. I have tried Osram and Cree so far. When I want to ditch the hps I will try some LEDEngins. Probably befoore next summer.

The only commercially available lights I think are worth the money are Lumigrow ES-330s.

3. have you ever tried international trade, maybe you could buy the lights from the manufacturers directly, the factory price is cheaper than dealers, the only problem is the shipping cost, so if you only buy one or two pieces, it's costly, but if the quantity is large, it's cheap.
    And for the problem "elongated",maybe you didn't get a right height for the plants.

4. Hey,guys ,I just search this video .It seems a new LED product.Have you guys seen them before and how about them ?
    [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3zJBherkHiY]Newest powerful LED grow light.mp4 - YouTube[/ame]

5. LOL great product review with one non functioning LED..lol. Perhaps it was designed that way.

Never heard of them but there design is similar to many one again verifying that some cheap ass chinese factory pumps most LEDs out just slaps another name on it like the Laptop Industry does. Most do not realize that 90% of the worlds laptops are made by one company. A Dell and HP are made by the same exact people slightly different designs with a different label on them before they go out the door...which is why most all look the same. The LED world is the same thing just about.

6. Yeah , it said that one of them is out and other LED circles are still working .I want to have a try .what do you think ?Yes , it seems that the LED lights are made in one company and post different labels. LOL

7. LEDs in Floriculture
    LED technology, i rst used in the mid-1980s, has come a long way and may make its way into the greenhouse in coming years.

Light-emitting diodes have been around for decades. Sometimes we see them used individually, such as power indicators for stereos or televisions. Other times, dozens of them are clustered together to form an array, such as the red light of trafi c signals. In horticulture, LEDs were i rst used for plant-growth studies in the mid-1980s on the space shuttle and in space stations. At that time, LEDs were only available at a high cost in a relatively dim red. But LEDs have since advanced to the point that we may see them in greenhouses in the next decade.Potential Bene?tsLEDs have several advantages compared with traditional lighting sources.
    First, most LEDs emit a narrow range of light; only red or only blue, for example. This might seem like a disadvantage at i rst, but it actually enables the combination of different LEDs into an array to produce a specii c light quality.
    For example, we know that green light is less efiicient at eliciting a photosynthetic response compared with red or blue light. Therefore, we could design an array based on plant responses to light.

Second, LEDs are much more efi cient at converting electricity into photosynthetic light when compared with tradi-tional artificial light sources. One recently published report states that LEDs consumed about one-third the amount of energy as high-pressure sodium (HPS) and metal halide lamps that produced the same light intensity. Because they produce less heat, LED arrays can be placed closer to plants than HPS lamps, which enable a higher light intensity without an excessive increase in plant temperature.A few other advantages of LED systems: They have a long operating life (at least 50,000 hours), can be easily dimmed if desired and turn on instantly; there is no warm-up period, unlike HPS lamps.
    Finally, LEDs don’t pose as much of a disposal problem as lamps that contain mercury or other heavy metals. With all of these advantages, why don’t we see LED arrays used in greenhouses today? Cost.Current Drawbacks

Although the cost of LED arrays continues to decrease, and light intensity for individual diodes increases, they are still cost prohibitive for commercial greenhouse applications. Small LED arrays can already be purchased for home use, but their light output is quite low and, given their cost, aren’t economical for low-intensity photoperiodic lighting.
    However, LEDs are beginning to be used in Japanese commercial plant factories that produce vegetable transplants.
    We face a “which came i rst, the chicken or the egg?” quandary with LEDs: Because there is very little demand for LED arrays for plant growth, they require a lot of labor to manufacture, so cost is very high. Because they are expensive, demand for LEDs is low and restricted to specialized situations, such as research on growing plants in space (Figure 1) or
    other scientii c experiments. With adequate demand, manufacturing can be automated, and in theory, costs can dramatically decrease.
    Many plant-growth studies have been performed with LEDs as the sole light source, but few have
    studied LEDs as sunlight supplements. Research for greenhouse applications is therefore needed to determine desirable LED array spectrums and their impacts on plant growth and plant morphology.

8. Most of us on here are very familar with LEDs. The issue is that LED makers do not make just grow lights to grow. Quite often and usually more then not the Chinese companies take LEDs that were developed for different applications and because the factory spits out literally almost a trillion LEDs a year they throw traffic light LEDs etc into a lamp and label it as a Grow Lamp. They put up a fancy website and sell a light that is woefully inadequate for anyones needs.

I have 3 LEDs...a 90w UFO, 240w Blackstar, and a 800w Solarstorm. I like the Blackstar for what it is love my Solarstorm. The Solarstorm is a made by Americans and throughly designed for growing and it grows well but it comes at a cost. I paid 1k for the light.

The rule of thumb in the LED world is almost reverse. A good deal or inexpensive light is really not to be had about 95% of them are shit.

9. Well if thats what they said and there the maker of that light then shame on them for posting a demo video with a defective product. That would be like at a Auto show Ford showing off a new car but saying it was sorry that the engine doesnt turn on but when you buy one it should turn on.

Its a piece of shit light and you would be a fool to buy it.

10. so , what about your results from Blackstar and Solarstorm LEDs ????I know blackstar company , they have good products .My friends recommend that company and HTG SUPPLY .

11. They said that that's not a defective one , it shows that if one of LED dead ,the others still work.It seems that other companies' LED , one LED dead , others will follow .Don't work.I just curious about that light .

12. Hey guys/girls.

I have been growing with a LED/CFL mix for about 7 weeks now (first grow). I am using a 90watt UFO LED lamp I got from eBay. It cost about $150 including postage.

So far it is working REALLY well. My plant seems to be loving the light put out from this lamp. I also have a couple of 24watt CFLs to make up a bit more light.

So far I have 3 dope plants in my grow box, 1 is about 7 weeks old and the other 2 are just seedlings (2-6 days old).

Right now for LEDs you either have to pay a lot for the goods or go for the cheaper ones with less features. I am looking at building my next box into a wardrobe and for this I will be looking at a expensive LED light.

So far this is what I am aiming for. Very pricey but it looks like some RnD has gone into it.
    California Lightworks Products : SolarStorm

13. successful with hydroponics, you will need a decent amount of light. Unfortunately, deciding how much this is might be challenging, as the needs of each plant varies. Some will need lots of light, while others may need very little. If you cannot give your plants natural sunlight, you will have to use a LED grow light. Of course, before you make any final purchasing decisions, you should look at a well-written LED grow light review.A good LED grow light review should discuss the technology surrounding the bulbs.

Led downlights

14. #76 GorillaMan, Dec 12, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 14, 2012
    :eek:All parts for LED grow lights are made in Asia, even the one you think are made in America. The parts are 100% from Asia, whole industry was transferred there, we all know why. They can only install the parts together in America. I am using CREE grow light 720W and I am very satisfied and my plants are delighted.:smoking: I bought smaller one to test on the beginning, and when I saw the results I was nicely surprised. :D :smoking: I bought the light from: Led Lights Zone

15. So who can tell me all about the Cidly Apollo 4 LED grow light. Either users of it or LED light system builders let me know what you think please. If you haven't tried it or don't know much about LED's your response isn't going to help me.
    Thanks all.

16. Never used those but have a bit of experience in LEDs. Never heard of those either but that does not mean much. The design of them looks similar to many other models. Most likely they came from the same source. Check out htgsupply.com's line up. Look somewhat similar to Blackstar's new line up as well. That being said and the fact that they probably come from the same source but simply rebranded check out reviews for those products as well. That should give you a measure of what they can do.

17. Cidly 4 is 180W that is very small power, only 60 pcs. Good for one plant. Cree 240W would be more high power light, better lens and Cree Chip what is awesome for flowering.

18. so I'm thinking of growing with LEDs on my next grow cuz cfls are giving me heat problems. I have to grow in my closet( roughly 2.5ft x 3ft x 6-7ft). I figure I can either buy like a LumiGrow Pro 325 or 2 kessil h350(magenta and purple) and 6 kessil h150(3 magenta/3 purple), the kessils being about a bill cheaper. or I can get some 240w blackstars for a little less than $300 each off amazon.

money hopefully wont really be a problem, I just figure its not worth blasting 1 plant with thousands of dollars worth of lights.