LED Grow Journal

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by MX Grower, Jan 28, 2010.

1. No hash makin' MX? Those leaves look great for that purpose.

2. Hi AllGood, I don't know about hash making - never done anything but smoke the stuff (besides brownies and rice crispy treats). We're definitely going to read up on it, and it's very likely that we will use the sugary leaf to make some hash, if we can figure it out. Any good links you know of?

- - -

OK. Here's the Super Skunk harvest pics at day 63 of flowering.

SS1 Harvest 05.jpg
    Super Skunk #1 - Before the harvest

SS1 Harvest 07.jpg
    Super Skunk #1 - Trimmed bud shots

SS2 Harvest 03.jpg
    Super Skunk #2 - Before the harvest

SS2 Harvest 05.jpg
    Super Skunk #2 - Trimmed bud shots

Based on wet weights of recent harvests, it looks like we'll get just under 2 oz. of trimmed bud from each plant.

Look for the seed, dry weight and smoke reports coming within the next couple of weeks, for these Super Skunks as well as for the White Widows harvested 5 days ago.

The popcorn stuff from the White Widows are just now dry enough to clip the stems and start the jar game. It'll probably be three more days before the WW main buds are dry enough.

My flowering room looks so empty with just the 2 new girls in it!

Attached Files:

3. Great update! Congrats on the harvest. :hello:
    I don't have any links cause I never done it my self but I will find some. I plan on trying to make some canna butter from my trimmings.

Got a couple of ?'s bruh.
    How tall were your plants at harvest?
    What drying method do you use?

4. I didn't measure them. I'm guessing between 22 and 26 inches. I'm pretty sure that's fairly close.

We trim right from the plant as shown in the harvest pictures, then hang them in a dark closet with a fan in a corner set on low, pointing in such a way as to not blow across the buds. I have a really cool closet space under the stairs that's perfect for this.

SS Harvest dry.jpg

Note that the humidity in our house is at around 30 - 35 these days. After about 4 days in the closet, the popcorn and fluffy buds will be crispy. The stems will still not quite snap when bent, but the outside of the buds will feel a bit crispy. That's when I start taking those. I clip away all the stems and put the good stuff in a sealable glass jar. That goes in another closet where I open the jars about three or four times day and leave them open for about an hour each time. That goes on for another two weeks or so (longer, if we're not out of weed).

The denser buds will spend 7 to 10 days in the closet to get to that same point of dryness, and then they get clipped of as much stem as is reasonable, and join in on the jar curing game.

The difference between the taste of the smoke before and after 2 weeks of the jar game is like day and night!

5. #85 Budley, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2010
    Those buds look tasty! Nice work :)

To make Quiso Hash just take your sugar leaves and whatever, put in a jar, Fill up with isopropyl alchohol just over the top of the weed, shake around too get good and soaked for 30 sec to a min then strain through a coffee filter or cheese cloth onto a glass plate or pyrex dish. Leave the dish in well ventilated area (flammable). When its dry scrape the residue off the plate and its pretty damned good hash. Couple good threads on it here. I made some for first time on my last harvest and was pretty happy with it.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

6. Thanks, Budley. I have coffee filters and I have isopropyl alchohol, so I think I'll go for it. My bottle says "Isopropyl rubbing alcohol 70% by volume". Is that OK to use? And I can use just harvested leaf? No dry or cure?

7. #87 Budley, Mar 22, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2010
    NP! :) I made it from dried leaf and little nugs, but you can use the undried too. Put it in the freezer first for a while to make the trichs britttle. 70% alcohol works, 91% is better and I guess everclear is great. Just takes a little longer for the 70% to evaporate. (Make sure the other 30% is water). (August West has a good thread on it here)

8. Good info Bud!

Thank MX. Every one has there own style I see. I plan on using my cab for drying. Hate to tie it up with that but it's the best place I have. Putting that info in the notes.

9. Nice plants MX, beautiful looking. Nice yields as well! I hope mine ends up half of what yours is. I'm growing a chocolope female clone under a bunch of CFLs. Good luck to you with the rest of your grows! :bongin:

10. MX, go to the liquor store and buy a bottle of Everclear. It's 95% pure grain alcohol (ethanol). It's the stuff you see in the movies when the dude spits out a mouth full of flames after lighting. Don't use the ISO...one can't drink ISO. It's poison man!

11. Shit, Possuum! I went out yesterday and bought two quarts of 91% iso at CVS. Now after getting your post, I see I already had a full bottle of everclear in the pantry!

Thanks for the heads up. You know, I gotta think that enough people use isopropyl that it must be safe enough after all the evaporation's done. Hell, I think "Qwiso" stands for Quick Wash Isopropyl, so apparently the process was intended to be done with it. In any case, I'll use the everclear. It'll probably evaporate faster anyway, seeing as it's more alcohol.

Plus, I guess I'd rather breathe flames than go blind!

12. Final Harvest and Smoke Report

Well, both the White Widows and the Super Skunks were dry by today. Here's the yields – remember, these were four plants under two 90 watt UFO LEDs.

Super Skunk #1 – wet: 209 grams, dry: 43 grams
    Super Skunk #2 – wet: 196 grams, dry: 38 grams

That's like 2.9 oz. of the best bud I've ever smoked (or close to it!)! Check out the bud shots below.

SS1 Buds 02.jpg
    Super Skunk #1

SS2 Buds 02.jpg
    Super Skunk #2

As for the Whiet Widows:

White Widow #1 – wet: 225 grams, dry: 42 grams
    White Widow #2 – wet: 218 grams, dry: 41 grams

So that's 2.96 oz. of White Widow. 5.85 oz. total from the LED plants. Man, the yield on each of these four plants were crazy close!

WW1 Buds 02.jpg
    White Widow #1

WW2 Buds 02.jpg
    White Widow #2

The White Widow is super smooth, but really expands. No harshness whatsoever. The taste is just wonderful. Skunky but also fruity tasting – like fruit loops. After a couple weeks of cure, it's going to even be way better. That's hard to imagine! It's quite strong – very stoney, but not really couchlock - maybe sort of. The high seems to last a long time.

The Super Skunk is unreal! It's hard to believe that weed can get any better than this (although I know it does!). I'm throwing in one of SS-1's late flowering bud shots, to remind us all of what she looked like back then. The taste is extremely sweet and extremely skunky. Just heavenly! The high seems very close to that of the WW. I would describe it the same.

SS1 Flower day 60e.jpg
    Super Skunk #1 at day 60 of flowering

Hey, by the way, there are no seeds! I can't figure that out. Two of the Sativas that we flowered at the same time had hermies and quite a few seeds developed. I thought for sure these LED ladies would also be seeded. Somehow, I lucked out. I found one very white and soft underdeveloped seed during the after-dry trimming on SS-2, but that's it so far.

I'm going to continue my journal wrap-up in the next post...

Attached Files:

13. Very nice, grats man! :smoking:

14. So I ended up with almost 6 oz. of excellent bud from these four plants. I also got just over 4 oz. of bud from the 4 Sativas that were grown under my 400 watt HID and harvested early because of the hermies. So right around 10 oz. from my first grow. I'm happy with that, especially since I didn't try any yield enhancing techniques, other than to top at about the fifth node during early vegging.

I'm going to try to double the yield this next time around by (1) using LST to increase the number of bud sites, (2) only having one plant under each UFO, and (3) vegging them much larger before 12/12.

I have a clone of White Widow #2 which was the one with noticeably fatter buds. It will go through another 2 or 3 weeks of veg before the switch. Here's a pic from last night.

WW-2.2 032710 01.jpg
    White Widow #2's Clone for next LED grow

I also have a clone of Super Skunk #1 which was the significantly icier one. I'll probably veg it for a week or two longer than the WW. I've also LSTed her branches down and she's coming along quite nicely.

SS-1.2 022710 01.jpg
    Super Skunk #1's Clone for next LED grow

That's it for this grow journal!

I'll be starting two new journal threads, and when I do, I'll update this one last time with those links. One of the new journals will be for the Carmelicious and the Super Silver Haze plants (one of each) that are now flowering under my 400 watt MH. The other journal will be for the White Widow and Super Skunk clones mentioned above that will each be flowering under a single 90 watt UFO.

Thanks for hanging with me throughout my first grows! I love this place and I love having you all as special friends that help me along and with whom I can share my growing experiences. The comments and encouragements are so cool. Shit, when Possuum told me I was Batman a couple of pages back, I was glowing all day long after that! You are all too cool!

Peace out!

15. That was a good smoke report! Man! So many good comments about WW. Budley's smoke report about that Critical Mass was good as well.

Congrats on your harvest bruh. With the added methods you may get over a pound next time.

You gotta tell me where you got your LED's!

16. Hey AllGood, Thanks!

I don't think the where is as important as the bulb specs. My flowering UFOs use 70 660 nm reds, 10 460 nm blues, and 10 610 nm oranges. If you want to match what I use, find those specs for as cheap as you can.

I got them from AIBC and they were about $200 each. Here's a link.

These guys were real stand-up. When I emailed them, they emailed me right back - and that was on Christmas day! On another occasion. they had a screwy setup with PayPal that charged me twice for shipping when I bought two lights at one time (even though they have a flat shipping fee of $12.99). I called them and they imediately got my credit card creditted.

If you're worried about getting ripped off, you don't have to worry about that with AIBC. However, I think you may be able to find these same specs now in the $100 to $150 price range if you look around. Don't buy one if they won't tell you the bulb specs.

17. Well done MX. I sure like your style and the results of your efforts.

Great job on the grow, the journal, and the detail posts. Awesome. :yay:

18. How'd the qweso experiment go?

19. I decided to let the sugar leaf dry before doing it. It's dry now, so I may do it tomorrow. I'll post it here after I complete the process.

20. FYI - I've started my next journal for the Carmelicious and Super Silver Haze flowering under my HID. It's the first link in my signature.

Hope to see you all there! :wave: