LED Grow Journal

Discussion in 'Indoor Grow Journals' started by MX Grower, Jan 28, 2010.

1. Piggie backin'!

Not a total lost bruh!

I will heed that warning about using bag seeds. I'll just use them to practice my seed popping skills.

2. dont forget....

"we also spam"

3. Holy shit!! They're advertising in my thread! Thanks for quoting it Grrower or I would have missed it.

Anyway, here we are at day 55. Only a couple more weeks to go now!

I'm also including pictures of my next grow - a carmelicious one week into flowering and a Super Silver Haze two weeks into flowering.

SS1 Flower day 55b.jpg
    Super Skunk #1

SS2 Flower day 55b.jpg
    Super Skunk #2

WW1 Flower day 55b.jpg
    White Widow #1

WW2 Flower day 55b.jpg
    White Widow #2

C1 Flower day 7.jpg
    Carmelicious

SH1 Flower day 14.jpg
    Super Silver Haze

Attached Files:

4. I gotta go change shirts cause I drooled all over this one looking at those buds! :smoking:

5. Damn MX! If I wasn't seeing it I wouldn't believe it. A picture is indeed worth a LOT of words. Looks like LED's could be a new standard.

Your update says "Anyway, here we are at day 55. Only a couple more weeks to go now!"

Is that 55 calendar days, 55 days from 12/12, or 55 days since sexing?

+rep for your exacting lab grow! Great job man!

6. #66 MX Grower, Mar 14, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 14, 2010
    Hey Budley, thanks! Yeh, if it wasn't for my own drool, I'd only have to clean my grow room floor half as often!

Possum, thanks to you too. They are 55 days into flowering. For all four of these girls:

Germination start date: 11/27/09
    Seed sprout in soil: 12/03/09 - Day 1 (6 days to germinate)
    Preflowers appeared under 24/0: 01/04/10 - Day 31
    Moved to 12/12 lighting: 01/16/10 - Day 43
    Last pictures taken: 03/13/10 - Day 99, 55 days into flowering

For clarification. note that the new Carmelicious and Super Silver Haze will be flowering under my 400W HID lamp. When the current LED girls come out, they will be replaced with a clone of SS-1 and a clone of WW-2. This next time around, I am going to try to grow single, but larger plants, one under each 90W LED lamp. Here's what the two new LED plants look like today. They have been vegging under UFOs as well:

WW2 clone in veg.jpg

In rebuttal to LED Grow King: The UFOs I am using are indeed the CHEAP Chinese ones! So no, you don't have to buy the expensive ones to get these kinds of results. I did enough research before buying to make my own decision as to which red & blue bulb specs I wanted. Then I found cheap ones that provided those specs. In restrospect, I'm totally happy with my LED purchases (I paid approx. $200 each). I think that if/when I get more, I'll be able to find the ones I want for under $150 now.

Attached Files:

7. Ya girls are lookin rather scrumptious MX. I'm gonna be watching the Carmelicious, I've been searchin' for her. I want to know how she smells, smokes and taste :D

8. We harvested the White Widow plants yesterday at day 57 of flowering! :hello: - Whoopie!

I got out my 100x scope and did some trichome viewing. Saw that most trichs were milky, and the rest were amber or still clear, with a few more clear than amber. The buds hadn't seemed to have changed much in the last few days, so we went for it.

The yield of dense buds will probably end up at just under two oz. from each of the two plants. Because of the denseness, these won't be drying in only a few days, like my other recent harvests. It will probably be a week or a little more before I know the true dry weight. I'll post that later, along with the smoke report.

I don't think the two Super Skunks are quite ready yet, but I'll be checking them nightly.

Here's the White Widow harvest pics. These first photos are of WW-1. I'll put the WW-2 pictures in the next post.

WW1 Harvest 03.jpg
    White Widow #1 - Right before harvest

WW1 Harvest 04.jpg
    So sad!

WW1 Harvest 06.jpg
    And the trimmed buds! Oops, forgot the lighter!

Attached Files:

9. Here's White Widows #2 harvest pics.

Oh, by the way, we still haven't seen any seeds, although there were some very fat bracts under some of the buds. I'll let you know what the seed situation turned out like when I post the smoke report.

WW2 Harvest 03.jpg
    White Widow #2 - Right before harvest.

WW2 Harvest 05.jpg
    Remembered to get the lighter out for this one!

You may think we didn't trim enough leaf, but it was killing us to cut off all the icy shit that we did cut off! It's for personal stash anyway and I'd rather have the added smoke.

Don't unsubscribe yet! Please stick it out for the Super Skunks' completion and the follow-up smoke reports!

Attached Files:

10. #70 Possuum, Mar 19, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 19, 2010

MX, what are the wattage of the LED's? I'm just dialing in to the technology and I see at least one company with a quad band at 2W each. Expensive for sure but they claim a lot of intense light output with the 2W bulbs and a 6 foot light penetration. I was going to upgrade to a 600w digital ballast and a new 400w bulb but after seeing this I'm going to have to rethink that decision based on the $'s.

Nice harvest man!!! Exciting isn't it! I've trimmed up 33 buds meself the past 2 weeks.

Cool man!

11. Correction: We harvested on day 58, not 57. That means that today is day 60, and that means that I have to put out a grow journal update today. Hope to get to that shortly.

-------------------

Hey, Possuum!

I am using 90watt UFOs. Each have 90 1 watt bulbs. The veg units are RB81, meaning an 8 to 1 ratio of red to blue. So 80 660nm red and 10 460nm blue.

The flowering units are RBO711, with 70 660nm red, 10 460nm blue and 10 orange that I believe are 610nm.

I think that maybe I could have grown taller and fuller plants under a 400 watt HID, but the heat issue pretty much sold me. In my opinion at this point, It seems these UFOs will use around half the wattage to achieve approximately the same results. Half the wattage means half the heat. The LEDs plants also require much less than half the waterings. They also attract less bugs (fungus gnats, anyway). With yo-yo hangers, they are so easy to adjust and to just temporarily move out of the way. Also, I don't have to even think about buying fresh bulbs every other year - which actually means a lot to me. That's the kind of shit you end up feeling guilty about when you don't get around to doing it!

Besides all that, the plants seem to grow super healthy under those lights. All four of my LED plants never developed a single marred leaf of any kind until well past the fourth week of flowering. No brown or curled tips or edges, not even a hint of yellow in any leaf!

This next time around, I will be growing half the number of plants under each of my lamps - 2 under my HID and 1 under each UFO. I will veg larger too and I'm pretty sure that I'll be able to about double the yield.

It sounds like you're looking into some powerful, high-tech units. I'll bet that those babies will really shine! I kinda hope you go for it and share your experience in a journal. I'd definitely subscribe!

Thanks for your enthusiasm! Yes, harvesting is way cool! The whole indoor growing thing has totally hooked me and I am so into it now.

12. Just the two Nirvana Super Skunks now. I think they'll be ready within a week!

Here they are at their 60th day of flowering:

SS1 Flower day 60d.jpg
    Super Skunk #1

SS2 Flower day 60d.jpg
    Super Skunk #2

Attached Files:

13. Those skunky bitches are looking delicious bruh!

14. Dude! I really like those roller plant stands! Nice engineering! We think similar! :hello:

I'm a "middle of the pack" person so I'm going to wait 6 mos - 1 yr for the LED technology to settle out a bit more. Moore's Law and all that ya know.

Really nice harvest man! Be proud! You rock! You're BatMan!

15. Can you post a close up of those roller stands?

16. On the plant rollers - yeh sure, no problem. I post some pics, but it'll have to wait until after the girls wake tonight at 9:00.

Be prepared - they're no works of art! They're slapped together, but work well and sure make life easier.

17. That's [​IMG]! As long as they work. I always like to see things like that.

18. I made various sizes of these, which helps a lot in evening out the canopy when you have multiple plants sharing a single lamp. Sometimes I stack 2x6 pieces to fine-adjust the height. Since my flowering area is narrow, it really helps to be able to roll them around every night to check them out and water them.

I think the pictures are clear enough as to how they're made.

I get the rollers at Home Depot for $14 each. They're 12" x 12". So the boxes are made out of 2x4 pieces cut to 10 1/2". The sides can be whetever spare flat lumber you have laying around. The tops are 12" x 12" pieces of plywood or masonite or whatever. As you can see, the sides go past the 2x4s, so as to hold on to the roller at the bottom and the squate piece at the top. They're just loose slip fits.

Roller 3.jpg

Roller 6.jpg

Attached Files:

19. Sweet concept! I know a guy who can benefit from that. Thanks for postin' those pics bruh!

20. It's another harvest day at MX-ville!!!

We cut down the Super Skunks today. I'll post the pictures later today, but I had to share a little preview post. Those buds were so hard to trim!! They were totally covered in ice and we were reluctant to cut anything but fan leaves!!

Here's a macro shot I took in the middle of trimming SS-1. This is the pile of trim leaf. Click all the way in and check out the ice!!!

SS1 Harvest 01.jpg

For those who don't want to zoom in, here's a close-up:

SS1 Harvest 02.jpg