LED distance from canopy

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by GrowMassGrass, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Hello blades,

I'm 20 days into flower using only a 180watt blackstar LED. It's about 5" inches from the canopy and the lower budsites seem to be developing quicker then the crowns. I was wondering if I should move the light farther or would moving it to far just cause lower growth to slow.

2. Pictures help bro!! If ur able to post any...

3. Can't until lights on which is in about 3 hours.

4. #4 Thatstinky420, Mar 12, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2013
    Understandable!! Why did you decide to use led?? It might just be that ur top colas need a little more love and time because there going to be bigger! If it were me I'd cut those lower popcorn buds off an out the mix those little buds amount to almost nothing once dried bro! And raise the light might as well try and see what happens! I'm intrested to see what happens most the time people are trying to get the smaller buds to catch up to the big ones harly ever the other way ay? Move that light Mabey another 3 inches up see that happens if that don't work
    Add some Supplement lighting to the top of your plant!! CFLs work
    Great!

5. Way to close man led has to be like 15 or 18 inch up the angle of the diodes and the spectrum are why that is I know most people think oh no heat lets slam it down on top not good with led just had this conversation at the shop

Sent from iPhone 5

6. i have 200 watt solarflare I kept it about 12 to 15 inches from canopy with good results.

7. California light works is the shit only led worth buying IMO

Sent from iPhone 5

8. #8 Revjim, Mar 13, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2013
    I have a Blackstar 240 and I'm in week7 of flower with a G13 Pineapple Express and mine is 9" above canopy because she grew so damn big.

I hand water, so when I do I just make sure my fan leaves are tucked and everything is getting good light.

Ill probably pull about 2 zips dry with the Blackstar, not a beast yield like a 600w hps but good for the price of the light and electric bill and great for my 2x2x5' grow cabinet

9. Yea I added a couple of cfls that helped gonna get some better ones this go round. Solarflare is good like to get solarstorm. But so damn expensive. Id use hps but where im at led's work out better.

10. Really? That far from canopy? It just looks like maybe 7 or 8 inches at the most. I'll move em up after I smoke and go on this COD BO2 rape session. So what would you guys say for a 180 watt blackstar? 12"? I wonder if they have a recommended distance.... HMMMMMMmmmm

11. You can bleach the hell out of your plants as well if you pull them to close. I've been told that 18" to 24" is where you want to be, it has to do with wavelengths. I believe there is a chart floating around somewhere.

12. I believe the older 180w models have mixed LEDs at 60 and 120. I would say having the fixture 10-12" above the top of the plant is a good suggestion.

13. #13 dunknoo420, May 26, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: May 26, 2014