LED distance for vegging

Discussion in 'Growing Marijuana Indoors' started by forestabri, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Hello, I'm new at growing indoors. I've grown outdoors guerilla-style years ago, so not a total newbie. I'm growing in a 2x4 Gorilla tent with a Kind K3 L450. We are growing in soil, super frog and ocean forest mixed 50/50. This is my second grow after a test run with mystery seed we pulled from a hermied bud from a bag. They were both males, and are now terminated, and they were definitely indica. They grew really healthy and dark green, no health issues at all. We fed them 50% strength Fox Farms trio with a little molasses. BUT, the nodes were really close, less than an inch apart and the vegetation was thick and dense. I think being in 3 gal. pots kept the root ball small, and it looked very healthy, not root bound with nice white roots when we pulled them. Light distance was 30" to start, lowered to 24" as they grew larger.
    Now I'm wondering if keeping the lights at 30+ inches away would have resulted in faster growth with better node spacing? So...
    My new grow is 3 clones I got from a dispensary, a cookies & cream, platinum og and a gorilla glue #4. I'm using the same method I described above, but with 5 gallon pots. The light is 30" away from the clones, tallest is 7", shortest is 5". Kind LED says that's correct, but I don't want to stunt them or have super tight nodes. It is very hard to LST when nodes are so close. I will be scrogging them to keep height manageable, but last time LST training was not easy because of the nodes being so tight. Should I keep the lights at 30" or more to encourage growth for vegging? Maybe add a couple of daylight CFLs? Kind claims the lights do both, but maybe that's not completely optimal? Thanks.

2. #2 forestabri, Feb 3, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
    I should have mentioned the condition of the clones wasn't great, older leaves are not looking great, but the new growth looks ok. I gave them .5 ml Cal-Mag with 3 tsp of FF Grow Big to 1 gal. water, ph around 7, the soil is usually around 6.5 but haven't checked. I bought them because I was desperate after my male plant fail, and they were close by. Here's are pictures of my grow. Here's pics:
    IMG_1673.JPG IMG_1673.JPG CC.JPG GG.JPG pog.JPG

3. leave them at 30", your good there, I run my 2 solarsystem 550's at 42 inchs for clones/seedlings.

4. Thanks. I actually raised them a few inches just to be safe. These are three different strains, so I guess I'll be able to see if they all react similarly.

5. exactly, better safe than sorry. CLW says I can run mine 16"s in flower, but anything closer than 20", the buds bleach. maybe because I have 2, but either way, your in the right area!

6. I'm still thinking I'll add some 20 watt 6500 CFL's down low to get maximum blue light for vegging. L series Kind lights aren't spectrum switchable. I mistakenly thought they were when I ordered it. Oops.

Should I continue with nutrients? They look magnesium deficient to me, but I don't know much from experience, just from looking online.

7. Your soil should still have a lot of nutes in there.
    I would flush your soil with 6.3-6.4ph water.
    Check your run off!
    I would think this early it would be nute burn or ph problem

8. Thanks, Will do, I'll stop the nutes for awhile. So I want to get it down to at least 6.4? So it's ok to test the run off to determine if it is correct? I don't have a meter, just chemical color test.

9. filter the water through a coffee filter before testing, should be fine!
    Get her in the 6-6.5 area if it is not already!

• Like Like x 1