LED computer grow box with pics!!!!!

Discussion in 'Micro Grows' started by boricuapuffer, Oct 5, 2008.

1. They look okay so far to me.

It's very early in their growth, so its too soon to tell anything. Give them a couple of days so their first leaves have had time to open fully. They don't seem to be stretching excessively, so that's good. That's one of the worries you have with growing under lights, in that you have to have the correct, and enough light so that they don't stretch.

So yeah, so far so good imho, but time will tell ;)

2. IT is a panel led it has 60 blue leds, 165 red leds, it is about 2 inches away from the plants, and idk the total watts, but idk why im thinking 14.8 watts, but for some reason that number comes to my head.

3. It is actually the same lights he has, same size exactly, that panel and everything.

4. there your problems is right there! 14.8 watts!!!!! thats way too little of a wattage to grow some serious bud. my panels are 50 watts each and there is two of them facing each other less than 2 1/2 inches away from the plants. the rule of thumb is you get a lil under 60 lumens per watt when dealing with LED so if your panels are 14.8 watts then you are only giving your plants 888 lumens to grow with. that simply is not enough. the panel you have is more of a supplemental light and not a main source.

5. I wasnt sure if it was 14.8 watts, i really dont know, i know there 14.8 had something to do with it, but it is the same exact one as yours that are pictured in the first post. exactly the same as it, same sized, mirrored back, and same lights, where you get it from?

6. our's may look the same but its specs are different, i got mine from HTGsupply.com

7. How big do you think those plants will get? They don't seem to have a lot of room for root growth.

8. K, i will look into it and see how many watts mine is then ill get back to you.

9. http://shop.sunshine-systems.com

has two different LED panels; one uses 5mm LEDs the other 10mm.

The first one draws 14 Watts the latter 45 Watts. They also have a killer 300W LED panel that supposed to rival a 1500W MH lamp.

I'm subscribed...At first LED was too expensive for me, but now it looks like the price is coming inline with other light sources. Very interested in seeing how well your plants grow.

10. i Have four of those 50 watt panels along side 250 watts floro. Still needs more light

11. wow! and you still need more light, whats the deal, how many plants are you growing? i just have 3 that i will LST as soon as they get big enough. as far as having 4 50 watt panels, thats like a 1200hps system and you need more light!, i know that in order for these LED setups to be effective you need to have them no less than three inches away from your plants, in my case i have them about 2 1/2 inches away. they are doing ok so far i will post pics up next week on their progress but im open to any suggestions out there on there development so far!

12. ok so here are some updated pics i took this morning, let me know what you guys think and if anyone outhere can tell me why my leaves look all rumply, its been about 10 days since i planted them so tell me if their progress is ok.

Attached Files:

13. more pics, is the temp on par? there is also a humidity indicator so lemme know if im doing alright

Attached Files:

14. #34 Smilintime, Oct 11, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 11, 2008
    Hi boricuapuffer, i think your plant isn't happy right now, and it only occured to me why right now! I think you may have too many red LED's at too early a stage in the plant's development. Right now, it should only ideally be receiving light from the blue spectrum for the vegetative stage, so it can develop its root structure and leaves.

Basically what I'm saying is that you have the wrong lights for this stage of the plant. I think the lights you have now are better suited for the flowering phase.

What I would suggest you do, is try get it under some 6400k daylight CFL's and see if the condition (rumply leaves) improves. You're temps are okay, but there is definitely something not so cool with the leaves. I also doubt it being a nutrient problem, as it hardly ever occurs this early in the plant's development.

You seem to have the correct nutes, but just make extra sure everything is right in the hydro department for vegging.

So yeah, to summarise... See if you get an improvement by putting it under a 6400k daylight CFL.

Good luck.

15. wow thanks alot smilintime, that was some hardcore advice and on that note i will switch out the LED panels and put in a CFL, i have a 85 watt 6500k daylight bulb at home i bought just in case of a scenario like this i also have 6 26 watt fresh air bulbs i think they are warm white, anyways i was saving those for when the plants start flowering and start stinking up the place, guess they need to be put to use now!

16. How do you keep the light from coming out of the fan in the back of the case? Looks great!!!

17. i put a black towel over the case when im not home, it does the job of blocking out the light the LED panels put out, and lemme tell you even with the case sealed up as best as i can, its still bright as all hell

18. if your placing a towel over it, the temps are going to rise in the case because the fans have to work harder to pull and push air, i suggest you lightproof it in a different manner so that ventalation doesnt get restricted.

19. Yeah boricuapuffer, just try switching it out for now. A Daylight 85w would be plenty, and the warm whites would be good for flowering, and it you use them together with your LED's you should be going strong to some healthy plants.

I agree with cork144, a towl wouldn't be a good idea, as the air wont be flowing through the cab. Maybe make a vent/channel painted matt black on the inside, which directs the airflow down from your vents, and then make it long enough so that the light cant leak in. Then you can leave it open with continual air flow. For ideas, look at the Harrier jump jet's vents that direct the airflow down when it's hovering. You could build something similar out of cardboard.

Try blocking the spots where it's leaking light with bits of tin/aluminium foil (depending which country you're from ;) ) or maybe even a white silicone gel for those hard to reach places.

Otherwise, it should be a star grow with the fixes :)

20. Nice job, really nice setup i guess for person use.